Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: Effects of Mass  (Read 62894 times)

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of Mass
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2009, 01:03:29 AM »

Discussing the flaws of a product makes for a more enduring conversation 'round these parts. The majority of my comments on the Babble thread skew negatively, even on titles I thoroughly squick'd. The faults discussed here are minor in the broad sense, but irritatingly blatant in how they could have been handled in a superior manner.

Mass Effect successfully materialized the concept I've envisioned for over a decade, the futuristic role-playing shooter. The rest is space gravy.

"that vehicle is stupid"

:gasp: Blasphemer!

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »

Mass Effect is proof that Bioware, while some of the best writers in the games biz, are not equal to Fred Ford, Paul Reich III, and... and the third guy they got to help with the script for Star Control 2. I will keep making this comparison because the game kept begging for it to be made.
...but is it art?

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2009, 03:35:48 AM »

Mass Effect is a good game but I personally hate it. If you don't mind the fact that Bioware tried to imitate Tolkien in the sheer amount of useless crap there is, you'll be fine. I have a person problem that renders me unable to play it because of that.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »

To be honest, I'm more excited about their Dragon Age Origins whatever whatever, because I want to slay me some A-Rabs horrible unholy creatures from beyond the kingdom's southern borders.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »

Is it, you know, any actual fun a significant portion of the time, or is it nuggets of true greatness in between bouts of interminable tedium and annoyance?

It's actually the reverse of this -- nuggets of tedium and annoyance periodically interfering with a game that's generally pretty great.

Mass Effect is a good game but I personally hate it. If you don't mind the fact that Bioware tried to imitate Tolkien in the sheer amount of useless crap there is, you'll be fine. I have a person problem that renders me unable to play it because of that.

Yeeeeah, don't read the data entries.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2009, 05:13:38 PM »

It's odd, I enjoy reading the data entries.

Then again, I enjoyed reading the data entries for Xenosaga 1 and 3's museums/encyclopedia things.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2009, 05:22:08 PM »

That stuff, and the super-long personal dialogue you can have with each character between each mission, is there for the people who would enjoy it.  You can skip it if you hate it.

Which is frankly disappointing.  I was hoping to be rewarded for sitting through it all, like Ashley Williams would suddenly demand to know if you recall which of her sisters does Tai Chi, and if you get it right she rubs her ass on the screen or something.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »

Yeah, see, I like games like that.  Mass Effect both fleshes out the world and satisfies my technobabble quota for all the bullshit science that fits in to sci-fi, and that the additional party members actually have some sort of interesting thing about them that makes them more than just a set of numbers that you plug in to your party.  Only character I haven't really messed with is Tali.  I love Wrex and Aleko too much.

EDIT:

You know, reading that post again got me thinking.  I'm actually pretty gender biased in RPGs.  Maybe it is just the extrapolation that I like to hit things with swords until they die, and most RPGs will generally relegate the "not hit things with swords" ability sets to females.  There are obvious exceptions to this (Ayla, Ashley), but yeah. 

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »

You do get experience points for finding information that's added to the codex!
...but is it art?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »

or, y'know.  killin' on some geths.

funny story, later in the game I was getting tired of hearing dialogue, so I was hitting X to skip through the asari scientist who was all "oh noes i work for saren but i didn't know he's mean, please spare me" and on my good-person playthrough I accidentally picked the option for "WE'RE NUKING THE PLACE FROM ORBIT, BETTER START RUNNIN' HUR HUR"

delightfully out of character.  i almost peed my pants.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »

Well, I've spent 20$ on less recommendation before, I think I'll get it. Thanks for clearing that up everyone.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »

oh, yeah, no, make no mistake, i loved it.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »

It's the only sci-fi that I've seen that, even though it is really deep in to its own universe, it doesn't have any of the silly "bridge bunnies shouting technobabble when shit is hitting the fan" things that you might see in Star Trek.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »

Yeah, Mass Effect has flaws, like any Bioware game, but overall, it's pretty much :wuv:.

But if you get the Bringing Down the Sky DLC, do yourself a favour and don't do that mission first. [spoiler]HOLY SHIT minefield+rockets exploding IN YOUR FACE.[/spoiler]
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »

or, y'know.  killin' on some geths.

funny story, later in the game I was getting tired of hearing dialogue, so I was hitting X to skip through the asari scientist who was all "oh noes i work for saren but i didn't know he's mean, please spare me" and on my good-person playthrough I accidentally picked the option for "WE'RE NUKING THE PLACE FROM ORBIT, BETTER START RUNNIN' HUR HUR"

delightfully out of character.  i almost peed my pants.

I assume that is the good guy option, since the renegade option is to shoot her in the fucking face.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2009, 07:24:52 PM »

The paragon/renegade options were always a bit wonky. They are either "Let me be a pansy" or "Let me punch you in the face."

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:59 PM »

So fairly standard in the spectrum of Bioware's Good/Evil choices.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »

mass effect gets points for rather than being "saint or baby-eater" it's "saint or kind of a dick"

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2009, 12:20:46 AM »

I felt it was more of a "doormat or douche" conundrum, myself.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2009, 08:04:39 AM »

"Ask question"

or

"Ask question while pointing gun for emphasis."
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48