Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 281971 times)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #2900 on: July 08, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »

More details. Of note:

Skills advance based on real-time a la EVE, but there is a battle rank requirement to unlock them; more varied environments, including battling over territory and fighting at sea. Instead of advancement being fully free-form, there are now classes, but each class' skill tree looks to be comparable in complexity to the entire character advancement system previously. Each weapon, vehicle, etc. also has its own selection of skills that a player might unlock to customize their play style extensively.

Instead of sanctuaries, each continent has one apparently uncapturable stronghold off in some corner. This could just be uncapturable in the sense that the sanctuaries were uncapturable, i.e. actually capturable but if you attempt it you are going to lose. Under some circumstances (not all, but which ones are unspecified) you can respawn near your squad. The goal is "get people to the action quicker."

A mission system attempts to provide a formal mechanism for telling players what needs to be done. Characters with a high battle rank can come up with missions and put them in the list, though it's unclear whether the list will also contain automatically-generated ones. This seems like an outgrowth of the way PlanetSide 1 restricted wider chat broadcasts to higher-ranking player, which is a system that really worked well and allowed strategies to be formulated.

No word on pricing, but the Reserves was so successful earlier that I do still anticipate them doing something like it.
...but is it art?

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: July 08, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »

Since it's SOE, I expect:

-Boxed game, subscription fee
-F2P Up until X level
-Possibly advertisements in game (wouldn't put it past them - even in a P2P game)
-Microtransaction store for vanity items

The "Spawn near your squad to get to the action quicker" is a double edged sword. In Planetside 1, The Advanced Mobile Station (AMS. Mobile spawn point that was slow, big, and deployed with a cloaking bubble) was a seriously tactical part of the game. Where you placed it, how you used it, getting it to the front lines.. etc. On the other end, yeah, there were times where getting to the action is just an absolute bitch. Running across a continent to reach a fight and die was just not fun.

They better balance that very carefully. High rank commanders coming up with missions? Sold. They should just say "Capture this point" and if you're fighting at the point, you gain a bonus % to experience. Simple fix really. I'd imagine there'd also be automatically generated missions for lower EXP to not completely punish solo-ers and also encourage team play. You'd get 10% bonus for killing in the mission sphere solo generated by the game, or 20% for a squad mission sphere generated by a player, for example.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: July 08, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »

All I remember of the first PlanetSide was the Pyoko Party Bus. That's enough to be excited for a new one.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: July 11, 2011, 03:45:47 AM »

So it's looking more and more like Battlefield 3 won't be sold on Steam.

Whether this is just a middle finger to Valve, or part of some larger strategy on EA's part, remains to be seen.

It's worth noting that, as of right now, EA's own digital distribution service, Origin, is basically terrible.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13:41 AM »

I like that EA's download service was almost decent, but then they decided to fuck it up by trying to turn it into EA Steam.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: July 11, 2011, 07:49:21 AM »

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:32 AM »

I see what you did there.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: July 11, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »

Actually, I found out the other day that EA's customer support is actually pretty good! They had a thing where you could chat in real time with a customer service person, instead of sending emails! I really liked that.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: July 11, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »

So it's looking more and more like Battlefield 3 won't be sold on Steam.

Whether this is just a middle finger to Valve, or part of some larger strategy on EA's part, remains to be seen.

It's worth noting that, as of right now, EA's own digital distribution service, Origin, is basically terrible.

EA seems to have wanted to spam the fuck out of people with BUY OUR DLC  messages and steam said "lol no"

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: July 12, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

Okay, I'll give EA one thing

www.modernwarfare3.com

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #2910 on: July 13, 2011, 06:52:08 AM »

So this morning Overstock.com had some kind of massive system error and dropped all of their consoles and handhelds (including bundles) to the $9-$25 range. Right now everything is marked as sold out, possibly just a safety measure to keep people from ordering them until the problem gets sorted out.

This is gonna' have some interesting repercussions.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: July 17, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »

Just beat the last boss of Jamestown with only one life. I figured that counts as news.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: July 18, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »

Yes I do want 5 player co-op Voltron!

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38:33 AM »

The game is being developed by Behaviour Interactive the same people who brought you Naughty Bear, Wet and Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime

:lol:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: July 19, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

:derp:

Spikey

• Tested
    • View Profile