Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

There's only one correct answer:

The Tracy Ullman Years
- 0 (0%)
The Christmas Special
- 0 (0%)
Season 1: Homer becomes Safety Inspector, Bleeding Gums, Sideshow Bob goes to jail
- 0 (0%)
Season 2: Treehouse of Horror 1, Blinky, Homer's brother
- 0 (0%)
Season 3: Michael Jackson, Krustofsky, Sideshow Bob marries Selma
- 0 (0%)
Season 4: Klasky-Csupo stops animating, Laura Powers, Ralph Loves Lisa, DENTAL PLAN, April 1st Clip Show
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 5: Sideshow Bob starts stalking Bart, Ruth Powers, Malibu Stacy
- 0 (0%)
Season 6: Alison Taylor, Jessica Lovejoy, Homer is accused of sexual harassment, Bleeding Gums dies, Who Shot Mr. Burns?
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 7: Maggie shot Mr. Burns, Lisa goes veg, Homer in 3D, Homer's Mom, George Bush, Apu is an illegal immigrant
- 0 (0%)
Season 8: Milhouse's parents divorce, Lisa's crush on Nelson, Ned breaks down, Skinner and Krabappel, Frank Grimes
- 7 (18.9%)
Season 9: Armin Tamzarian, Apu's gets married, An episode about Homer and Marge's sex life
- 10 (27%)
Season 10: Homer's middle initial, Homer donates a kidney, Ned and Homer get married in Vegas, Phil Hartman dies
- 5 (13.5%)
Season 11: Apu has octuplets, Maude dies, Behind the Laughter
- 8 (21.6%)
Season 12: Krusty's daughter, Homer has a crayon in his brain, Ned's amusement park
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 13: Smithers' father, Lisa's a buddhist, Greta Wolfcastle, Homer's a pothead, Never Stop the Simpsons, Apu's affair
- 0 (0%)
Season 14: Frank Grimes Jr., Krabappel dumps Skinner, "300th episode", Luke
- 0 (0%)
Season 15: Milhouse's dad gets custody, Artie Ziff, Skinner and Krabappel's non-wedding, Everyone as children, Snowball V
- 0 (0%)
Season 16: The kitchen (doesn't) get remodeled, Barney (doesn't) sober up, Patty is a lesbian, 350th episode
- 0 (0%)
Season 17: Ripping off Fairly Odd Parents, Milhouse speaks Italian, The Italian Bob, Homer's fake real father
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 18: Fat Tony's son, Homer's Vegas wife dies, Bart and Skinner's allergies, Grandpa and Selma start dating, 400th ep
- 0 (0%)
The Simpsons Movie
- 2 (5.4%)
Season 19: Ralphs runs for President, Marge has a degree, Homer's mom dies
- 0 (0%)
Season 20: Bart's twin, the opening is changed, Ned buys the Simpson house, Homer and Marge aren't legally married, Jenny
- 0 (0%)
Season 21: Marge poses for Playboy, Cool Skinner, 450th episode, Princess Penelope, Nikki McKenna
- 0 (0%)
Season 22: There's gonna be a Twilight parody and Moe's tavern will become a gay bar, among other bullshit
- 0 (0%)
It's still good!
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: When did The Simpsons jump the shark?  (Read 5498 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
When did The Simpsons jump the shark?
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »

We are getting downright statistical about this shit.

I cut out a lot of little bullshit just to keep those lines from running too long, but I just want to point out that Season 8 is when The Simpsons become the longest-running animated sitcom and Season 14 is when it became the longest-running sitcom.

Season 8 also has the most terrible recurring subplots that are still a part of this show to this day.  I'm just gonna say that while character growth itself isn't an evil, it certainly can be one when used like a blunt instrument.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: When did The Simpsons jump the shark?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »

Going to give the Movie my vote because it is the text-book case of everything wrong with the Simpsons from whenever you think it started to suck.

Homer is a Retard plot, Homer is So Retarded He Is Unlikeably Evil, Homer and Marge are Gonna Get A Divorce, Lisa is a Cunt, THE SIMPSONS ARE BEING EDGY WOOOOAH and about every other one. Then they go for broke with [spoiler]Dr Nick dying because random death is a great trope to acquire for a long-running series with wildly beloved side-characters.[/spoiler]

The Beavis and Butthead movie was more tightly and just plain better written then The Simpsons movie which is kind of funny given their comparative lengths and length-to-movie.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »

I just marked the point at which the things you were listing I remember not being funny episodes.

Which turned out to be season 8, which is in the lead.

Huh.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »

Keep in mind that I had to drop a lot of examples, and I may be biased.

Season 5 had stuff like Homer going to space, Season 4 had Selma's Choice, Season 3 had the first of too many flashback episodes, and so on.

Also I just realized that almost none of the Sideshow Bob episodes are really very good, even though I love Sideshow Bob himself.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

Uh, the one where he hangs on under the car and then the rakes is like the funniest fucking --

Also I just realized that almost none of the Sideshow Bob episodes are really very good

oh. right.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »

on the whole I'd still rather watch a new simpsons episode than most other things on tv, but I'd say it turned a lot less good in the season 9-12 area

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »

I'm gonna go with 9, specifically because of Armin Tamzarian.  8 wasn't amazing either though.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »

I should just let my fiancée vote for me, since she actually owns—(checking bookshelves)—the first ten seasons, if not more, and was a huge Simpsons fan growing up. For my part, I mainly just remember the Simpsons for their terrible arcade game which was still one of my formative arcade experiences, in that I don't think I ever consciously noticed a new arcade game before that one showed up. I realized new games could exist, but despite the fact that I'd played Mario both in the arcade and on my NES, I never realized that the list of arcade games that could exist had not already been exhausted. (I don't think I was really that smart of a nine-year-old.)

Which season contained the Monorail episode, again?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »

For my part, I mainly just remember the Simpsons for their terrible arcade game

you just made an enemy for life
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »

As for when the Simpsons jumped the shark, it's really a very subjective question, since you could be asking "when did the show stop being REALLY great", or just "when did the show stop being great, period".  Since the show was so brilliant at its peak, it's hard to judge when the show actually went downhill, as opposed to it merely not being as consistently great as it was.

That said, I voted for season 9 since that's when the plotlines started getting spotty (Armin Tamzarian) even if I find most of it pretty good.  Season 8 is pretty consistently great even if it didn't have the same density of brilliant episodes.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

Make that two!

I didn't stop watching the simpsons because I thought they stopped being watchable (my bar is pretty fucking low) but I did stop watching sometime around season 11? So that's when it got awful I guess?

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »

I think I must have stopped watching the show entirely around Season 14 because I don't remember anything on the list after that.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

I went with Season 11 because I have a higher threshold for crap apparently but mostly because of the octuplets which I had actually forgotten up until now. Also, Maude getting fridged, which I always found sort of redundant given that there was already an episode about Ned having a crisis of faith.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »

I thought they now had a "worthwhile" episode or two each season. Is this false? Can you un-shark-jump?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »

As for when the Simpsons jumped the shark, it's really a very subjective question, since you could be asking "when did the show stop being REALLY great", or just "when did the show stop being great, period".  Since the show was so brilliant at its peak, it's hard to judge when the show actually went downhill, as opposed to it merely not being as consistently great as it was.

Kind of.  The strict definition (of which there probably shouldn't be one) is the point at which the show stops either improving or staying level, and starts degrading.  Most people forget that the original shark-jump was supposed to be the HIGH point of Happy Days, and everything after that didn't measure up. At which I should probably adjust my answer a little, because I think if I had to really pinpoint where episodes stopped being as good as what came directly before, I'd say it was early in the sixth season with Lisa's Rival and Itchy & Scratchy Land.

Actually fuck it.

The show peaked with Itchy and Scratchy Land.

Try to argue differently.

(Also I'm still voting Season 8 because I just hate everything about Seasons 8 and 9 except for Grimey.)

EDIT: Actually thinking about it, it seems to be the point where it becomes really obvious that the peak has passed, not the peak point itself.  So Itchy and Scratchy Land may be the peak point, but the actual shark jump moment is probably opening the broom closet door to find Skinner and Krabappel in it.

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »

(Also I'm still voting Season 8 because I just hate everything about Seasons 8 and 9 except for Grimey.)

Season 8 also had Hank Scorpio, Poochie, Mr. Sparkle and the Beer Baron.  Those prevent me from pinning it as the turning point.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »

Season 8 also had Hank Scorpio, Poochie, Mr. Sparkle and the Beer Baron.  Those prevent me from pinning it as the turning point.

Uh, did it?

*flip flip flip*

Well fuck me.  I apologize for my malopia.

Season 9 is pretty unforgivable though and has my personal least favorite episode, the one with the fossilized angel or whatever.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »

I think it was the episode after the Mel Gibson one.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »

The strict definition (of which there probably shouldn't be one) is the point at which the show stops either improving or staying level, and starts degrading.

There's definitely a point after which you see "Homer is a Retard" stories instead of "Homer is a Lazy Dumb Guy Trying To Do His Best."

Crayon in Brain makes me want to puke it is so bad.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »

The Simpson Gene makes all Simpson men utterly, painfully stupid. Except Homer, who is stupid because he stuck a crayon up his nose and into his brain.

Anyway, I always felt the show started to derail into stupid-land when they started spending the first fifteen minutes of every 23-minute-long show establishing the plot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4