Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100760 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #1020 on: January 13, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »

The most fascinating thing to me is how divisive this movie is. At my theatre we had people walk out of the exact same screening that got a standing ovation from the rest of the crowd at the end. I guess people still get that pissed over language.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 14, 2013, 01:42:07 AM »

The mixed reactions are a little fascinating, yes.

I didn't notice anyone walking out or sounding uncomfortable. Everyone was howling with laughter half the time though. Lots of nervous laughter but most of it happened during those moments of tension intentionally broken up by awkwardness.

The hood scene damn near killed everyone including me. It was an infectious atmosphere.

I read an article about "inappropriate laughter" in Django, where the black author struggled with his initial anger towards white viewers laughing at the 'wrong' moments, at bits of cruelty, while later catching himself laughing at rather sadistic bits in turn. One of the examples he used was viewers laughing at the dynamite thrown into the cage. It's funny, because I actually choked out a little hoot during that bit DESPITE actually being disturbed, a nervous reaction for sure. But there was someone else that laughed really really hard at that part...followed by his friend saying "Dude that's not funny" and silence.

Ultimately I was pleased because, as much as I love sociology and as sensitive as I am, I went into the movie worried it'd divide the audience, and I walked out of a theater with a mixed crowd of young strangers of every race, after spending the last 3 hours together with them laughing all our asses off at total over-the-top revenge fantasy slaughter.

also mad props to Dicaprio seriously

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 14, 2013, 04:43:29 AM »

Dicaprio has come a long, long way from teen heartthrob / irritating main character of Titanic. He is a really goddamn amazing actor and he played "hatable slaver" incredibly well. It helps that Tarantino is great at crafting villains, but shit, I was alternating between hating his character and loving him every second he was on screen.

Apparently, the scene at dinner where he slams his hand on the table and breaks the glass was accidental, he actually shattered the glass and cut the shit out of his hand, but instead of ending the shot to get patched up he adlibbed with it and made the scene so much more intense.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1023 on: January 14, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »

As I mentioned, Tarantino has just a little too much fun depicting racism (and just using the N-word at every possible opportunity -- and I invite anyone who says "That's just historical accuracy" to give Pulp Fiction a view).

I wouldn't say my screening was divisive, but I saw a late-night showing on Christmas -- these were people who wanted to be there at this movie.

I can certainly see people's objections, and I'm not going to tell anyone who's offended that they're wrong for being offended.  I enjoyed it but there's certainly some uncomfortable and insensitive stuff in there.

also mad props to Dicaprio seriously

Yeah, everyone in the picture was fan-fucking-tastic.  When I said Jackson was my favorite I certainly didn't mean a slight to anybody else.

Dicaprio has come a long, long way from teen heartthrob / irritating main character of Titanic.

I'll agree, but on the other hand he was doing damn fine work before Titanic.  His role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? was pretty damn great.  Hell, he wasn't half-bad in Romeo and Juliet, as goofy as the movie got in places.  I think it's probably fair to chalk Titanic up to the script and direction.

That said, yeah, even though I think he's been a good actor all along, he's certainly gotten better -- he's certainly had a hell of a lot of practice.

Apparently, the scene at dinner where he slams his hand on the table and breaks the glass was accidental, he actually shattered the glass and cut the shit out of his hand, but instead of ending the shot to get patched up he adlibbed with it and made the scene so much more intense.

Oh yeah, I think I did read that somewhere.  Shades of the opening scene of Apocalypse Now (where Sheen breaking the mirror was also purportedly an accident).

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »

Maybe I just haven't seen enough with him in it, but I was surprised by Jackson's ability to get in character this time. He's usually much more of a "face actor". Here he had me squinting to make sure it was actually him at first.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »

Russell Crowe is the worst.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 14, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »

I didn't think he was that bad in Les Miserables.

Or did you mean in general?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »

I knew from the beginning that he wouldn't be able to sing it, and I thought I was okay with that, but his acting is terrible too. There is absolutely nothing at all in the entire movie to convince you that he has the passion and dedication to chase a guy for years through multiple cities. And without that passion, his conflict after [spoiler] he gets spared at the barricades and his suicide are just completely flat.[/spoiler]

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 14, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »

Oh wow. If I liked Malkovich's Javert so much, it's because he made you feel like he fucking hated crime, and his fanatical, self-righteous disgust vis-à-vis Valjean came across as disturbing and scary. Hugo wrote this character to represent a blindfolded system of law enforcement that pursues the guilty with a mixture of stoic duty and cruel enthusiasm that can only arise in a human being as the result of hanging on to the moral high ground by the merest technicality. I can't possibly imagine anyone wanting to play this guy as not giving a crap and now I really don't want to see this flick.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 14, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »

Saw Django. Eh.

Very-well acted, as has been mentioned, with Waltz the very best. But I am really pretty sure now that Tarantino and I are just not travelling on the same street. I'm tired of watching a man masturbate in public and having people around me call it a film.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »

That's the difference between you and the 1%, Mongrel. You pay others to watch you jerk it while people pay to watch the wealthy whack it.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »

That's the difference between you and the 1%, Mongrel. You pay others to watch you jerk it while people pay to watch the wealthy whack it.

pay

to watch

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:02 PM »

Are you saying Mongrel jerks off in your face?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »

I have to admit that I do find one thing about Django to be singularly hilarious: That the the wiki article for the movie lists his wife as "Broomhilda".

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 15, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »

That's funny because... that's her name?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: January 15, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »

I thought it was Brunhilde?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1036 on: January 15, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »

Nope.  Spelled "Broomhilda" in the credits.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 15, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »

Broomhilda von Shaft is a hell of a name, yes.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 15, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »

Nope.  Spelled "Broomhilda" in the credits.

I thought it was Brunhilde too. Huh. I wonder what the rationale for that was. Like just a throwaway gag no one would get/notice?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »

TBF Quentin Tarantino can't spell at all. Read some of his manuscripts sometime.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 59