Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 41694 times)

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »

Oh all I'm saying is if you get one of the cheaper minis you can't make a GOD MACHINE with the same price. You can eaaasily beat it though, but it's not going to be a god machine. If you're sending a grand or 2 on a PC though, JESUS CHRIST that's going to be some insane monster.

As for the pound for pound comment, I can't speak for games, but OSX -SEEMS- to be handling editing/graphical tasks well considering they tend to have statistically weaker hardware. So while a similarly statted windows machine might (MIGHT) open photoshop slower or open files slower or render something a little slower, the price difference is usually huge. Granted, like you said, this could be totally wrong, though wow's requirements seem about the same when you consider it in comparison to modern operating systems as opposed to XP. But could all be wrong and I wouldn't even care. This is just general observation in my time working with Macs. I can't be sure it is the correct observation.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »

As I understand it the design bias has nothing to do with hardware performance and more to do with display accuracy.  Mac has had advanced color management as part of the OS since 1993; Windows tried to catch up starting with Vista, but it's still not very good.  Then there's historic support for higher resolutions, sharpness adjustment, etc - basically, at a system level, it's easier to make Photoshop represent actual photos with a Mac, which is way more important than the time it takes to render it.

tl;dr: Guild's comment was actually completely accurate and he's the only person in this thread who knows what the hell he's talking about.  :bizarro:

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »

That is semi true. While on a system level, yes, it's harder to adjust color settings in windows, tons of 3rd party tools can do the same thing. It's just a matter of buying a proper screen. All macs come with a quality IPS screen, which is not something everyone is willing to binge on, but is definitely very affordable. My thinkpad has an IPS screen which has excellent color accuracy as well. Compared to my toshiba portege that has terrible purple/blue reproduction. Even my desktop monitor, which was a cheap acer, does well with some color correction.

But really anyone who works in print will tell you, even if they work on macs, you can never trust a screen anyways. You can make it as trustworthy as possible, but that still doesn't mean too much.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

That is semi true. While on a system level, yes, it's harder to adjust color settings in windows, tons of 3rd party tools can do the same thing. It's just a matter of buying a proper screen. All macs come with a quality IPS screen, which is not something everyone is willing to binge on, but is definitely very affordable. My thinkpad has an IPS screen which has excellent color accuracy as well. Compared to my toshiba portege that has terrible purple/blue reproduction. Even my desktop monitor, which was a cheap acer, does well with some color correction.

But really anyone who works in print will tell you, even if they work on macs, you can never trust a screen anyways. You can make it as trustworthy as possible, but that still doesn't mean too much.

This man speaks the truth. If you care about the print product, you always have to print, then go back and adjust the digital file.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2010, 01:23:33 AM »

I want to point out that the Mini does not come with a monitor by default.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2010, 07:21:31 AM »

I can't post anything but jokes in this thread.
...but is it art?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »

http://theappwhisperer.com/2010/05/12/oh-no-not-again-apple-loses-another-4th-gen-iphone/

Attention on deck: Uh oh. Uh oh.

how does anyone not think Jobs is doing this on purpose now?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »

Um, because if he is, the federal case against the people who sold and bought the last one is massive fraud?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:54 PM »

... and?

Jobs is a complete asshole with no regard for the law.  He drives his car without plates because he doesn't like they way they break up the aesthetic, and parks in handicapped spaces, because he can afford the tickets and gives no fuck.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »

I headed into the apple store to give the iPad a try and.. I kind of liked it.  :humpf:

It's a solid piece of technology, I'll give it that much. It really did feel like I'm in the future for once.

Hoping for the Droid Tablet to be good. Or maybe for the JooJoo to get out of the legal shit hole it's in.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »

For some reason,
parks in handicapped spaces
it's this kind of thing that irks me over anything else.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »

Maybe he's handicapped!

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »

Emotional and moral handicaps don't count.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »

Maybe the liver he bought came with a handicap pass, then.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »

It didn't.  He gets the tickets, hands them to his assistant to pay, and continues doing the same thing every day.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »

“He seemed to think the blue wheelchair symbol meant the spot was reserved for the chairman,” Hertzfeld writes.

You mean it's not? That's not very intuitive. That's poor design.

We are currently developing the iLot, the Apple-based parking lot. Each space will be sized according to the type of vehicle and you will only be allowed to park in those spaces. For example, an "SUV" space will only fit an "SUV" car. If a smaller car attempts to park in an SUV space, it will be towed, because that goes against our design.

Vehicle designated spots will be sorted according to gas mileage. The cars that get the better gas mileage will be forced to park in the back of the lot, and the gas-hog SUVs will get front parking spaces so they do not waste gas driving around the lot.

There will be concrete barrier walls between each spot as well, instead of lines painted on the asphalt. Yes, we understand the limits this brings. You can't open your doors as wide as a normal parking lot, but we feel that this isn't important to the parking experience.

Sent from my iPad

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »

Ziiro wins.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »

I don't care if he shot a man in Reno just to watch him die, we're talking about a goddamn police report with multiple witnesses saying the seller knowingly stole the phone.  Now, it's possible that Apple GOT TO THEM, but I think at that point you're starting to get into some pretty wacky conspiracy-theory stuff.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »

Nobody's saying that Hogan didn't find the phone, shop it around after calling Apple, and end up selling it to Gizmodo.

Just that Powell left the phone in the bar on purpose, as per his instructions.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26