Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: THE MOST IMPORTANT CARTOON EVER MADE  (Read 43154 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: THE MOST IMPORTANT CARTOON EVER MADE
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »

The modern usage of "derp" seems stem from that South Park episode with all the fake Rob Schneider trailers, and later South Park in general.

Crouton

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »

It started much earlier than that with a one-off character named Mr. Derp. But yeah, same premise. I always took it to mean "There was no word to describe how dumb that was, so we made one!"

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »

I thought it started with Bidoof :/

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »

I thought her "real name" was Ditzy-do or something like that? Either way, new voice is fine, backpedaling on calling her Derpy is eh.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2012, 01:10:11 AM »

I wonder if any part of the problem here was someone in Hasbro realizing there could be potential legal problems for letting the internet name your things.
Or just problems in general. Either way, anything that divorces the horrific subculture known as "bronies" from the show itself is good in my book. It's fine you're a fan of a snappy, well-written show. It's not fine when you make homestuck fans look sane.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 26, 2012, 01:49:57 AM »

Maybe Hasbro will take their show meant for little girls and stop listening to the creepy middle age neckbeards' fantasies about it.

This is unlikely, really. The amount of money that comes from adult collectors is small in comparison to children, but we're still talking like 20% depending on the IP. Hasbro owns GI-JOE, Transformers, and the rights to make toys for Marvel and fucking *Star Wars.* They have a lot of experience in how to market a show and toys for children while still pleasing the adult collector fanbase. It's just... well. I bet they were thrown for a loop with the brony explosion and are still puzzling out how to make it work with for MLP. Perhaps you're not that far off in retrospect though. Bronies are already buying girly toys as merch, maybe it's best just to leave shit the fuck alone.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2012, 01:58:01 AM »

<Ettin> Now friends are linking me twitter feeds of bronies stalking MLP voice actors
<Shia> ...

Two seconds after you posted that.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

The amount of money that comes from adult collectors is small in comparison to children, but we're still talking like 20% depending on the IP. Hasbro owns GI-JOE, Transformers, and the rights to make toys for Marvel and fucking *Star Wars.* They have a lot of experience in how to market a show and toys for children while still pleasing the adult collector fanbase. It's just... well. I bet they were thrown for a loop with the brony explosion and are still puzzling out how to make it work with for MLP. Perhaps you're not that far off in retrospect though. Bronies are already buying girly toys as merch, maybe it's best just to leave shit the fuck alone.

You'd think at the least Hasbro would see the profit in marketing one grey pony as Derpy and raking in an entire new demographic. At the worst, they'd make barrels of cash until some external controversy made them stop, making Derpy a collectors thing.

I don't pretend to understand toy marketing, but isn't this the entire reason the show exists? Fostering demand for this kind of thing?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »

The look of constant shock and disbelief on the MLP VAs' faces whenever they visit a con is priceless.

Da_Beerman

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »

Hasbro could take one figure and change the name and sell it in Spencer Gifts/Hot topic under a different brand, and get mo money.

how come when some guy shows his collection of MLP figures to others he joins a clique but whenever I show off my Dora the Explora collection people look at me funny and the cops suddenly have a search warrant?
XBL gamertag: bakedplayaslaya
Steam ID: Da_Beerman
Limits will be pushed

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »

I thought it started with Bidoof :/
Same here

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

Hasbro could take one figure and change the name and sell it in Spencer Gifts/Hot topic under a different brand, and get mo money.

Not the best plan. You run the risk of alienating the adult fanbase by splitting off products that are obviously intended for them, implying that they should be cordoned away from the rest of the franchise. Also, lessening potential sales of the rest of your product because it exists in two different locations. You see, there are less adult fans than children, but adults buy much more. The second that collectors hear that Wave 3 has hit stores in their area, they will drive down to Wal-Mart, buy all the new things introduced in that wave, and maybe check back every few weeks if there were shortpacked toys. There's also the issue with creating brand confusion.

Hasbro has created lines aimed at collectors before like the Transformer Alternators, but they were always sold beside other toys from the same franchise. Alternators themselves didn't do so well, but it was more due to a lack of mold variety at the line's launch creating shelves clogged with the same one or two products that everyone already had. And to be frank, I can't really see how you would do the Alternator treatment with MLP.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2012, 08:54:31 PM »

Netflix just booked Season 1, and immediately stuck it in the #3 spot in my top ten suggestions.

::(:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

You're just mad it wasn't put in #1

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »

ALTERNATE JOKE:

because you were too busy sticking it in my #1 and #2

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »

Okay, but only if I get to be Pinkie Pie.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »

One in the Pinkie Pie two in the Syou know what never mind
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23