Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23

Author Topic: THE MOST IMPORTANT CARTOON EVER MADE  (Read 43156 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: THE MOST IMPORTANT CARTOON EVER MADE
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »

Brent: You're over-thinking the whole "It was made by people who have done quality cartoon work before", which is generally reason enough to give a show like MLP the nod to quality it deserves. You're probably sniffing around a suspicion that the sort of people who REALLY INSIST THAT THIS WRITING IS SO GOD DAMN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD are also leaving off other thoughts like "unlike every other cartoon released in the last ten years, none of which I have actually watched and this one only hit me by memetic spreading."

There's an easy line of quality between say, MLP(Good) and Johnny Test(whyyyyyy) where you can just look at MLP and nod your head. This is a pretty good cartoon, like Samurai Jack or Foster's or Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls. It's just ridiculous when apparently the other good cartoons not made by Faust and McCracken don't exist because jaded fuckers.

Friday: Your theory is sound but I think there's a hiccup. Men may be trained to not cry from a young age, but a significant number of Bronies are also the sort of people who never actually took to machismo and will literally throw temper tantrums over not being able to play a video game. I think that somewhere along the line, their Manliness Training fell apart and maybe something like MLP split that open like a dam with a crack in it just by applying a little pressure. It might also be an issue of attention: these same bronies would be waifuing up a Mass Effect forum somewhere if MLP hadn't spread to them first.

The sheer random strength of the meme and Geek Social Fallacies creates an incredibly comfortable safe zone for a Brony with a huge number of members.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »

I think Doom sorta has it, but also in the non-nerd fans, I see a segment that also is borderline not-nerd-at-all but more in with the Irony-is-best-humour crowd.

These are the men who see a decent cartoon which is also simultaneously the living embodiment of everything unmanly dun dun dunnnnnn. So it attracts them. In a way this is kind of positive, in the sense that these are people who are either saying "I am so comfortable with my masculinity that I can watch this shows and tell you that I do it" or who simply love throwing the traditional need to be RARWRWGGGRRR LEATHER BACON STEAKS under the bus, smirking while they do it because it pisses off the peers/parents/relatives/authority figures who nag them to fit age and gender-norms rebellion will always be cool, man.

I think the kind of folks Doom mentioned are more common (and those are the more creepy ones), but the not-hipsters are a factor too. And the fact that multiple demographics are getting different things out of this adds to the self-reinforcing popularity of the show (i.e. "It's not just my demographic that likes it", etc.).

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

Brent: You're over-thinking the whole "It was made by people who have done quality cartoon work before", which is generally reason enough to give a show like MLP the nod to quality it deserves.

I guess I'm underthinking it?  I know and don't care who made it.  If I were to actually consider it I'd have to scratch my head - PPG, Foster's, and Samurai Jack didn't really come off sounding like a toy commercial.

That of course would last for about a second before I remembered that MLP is a toy commercial, which explains most why it sounds so hollow to me.  Kinda-sorta explains the following too, since having an ensemble cast seems to be cruise-control for fanbase (most Bronies seem to have been either or both MSPA and Bleach fans at some point.  I AM AWARE OF MY AVATAR.)

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »

Ensemble cast is 100% cruise control for fanbase. Touhou is pretty much nothing but a series of arcade shooters with barely any dialogue that provide a steady stream of blank slate new characters for fans to imprint as they will.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »

Vocaloids, too.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #345 on: June 04, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »

My friend—let's call him "Ensign Harry Kim"—started watching MLP earlier this year. Ensign Kim doesn't get out much; he's perennially unemployed, ostracized from most of his family and previous friends, and barely skates by on the proceeds of plasma donation. I don't blame him for wanting to share his interest with me. I get that: when you're really excited and enthusiastic about something, you want to share that with your friends, even against your better judgment; even over their protests that they have no interest in this. Don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen, but I don't want to be coerced to watch more, much less read through all this MLP fanfiction you've downloaded. Hell, I'm still trying to sort through all the "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" fanfic, 3.5 D&D character builds, and these furry homoerotic short stories you wrote. I don't have time for this.

Long story short, I think at least a part of the brony phenomenon is that "Friendship is Magic" is a hall-pass for gamer-identifying guys to indulge their whimsical side, but it looks like you guys have established that already.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »

Vocaloids, too.

And OS-tans, which were the fandom-for-something-that-doesn't-even-have-an-actual-property before Vocaloids.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »

So she's officially back to Retard Hooves?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 10, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »

Dammit, I had this exact idea literally months ago.

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #351 on: June 18, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

I can never close my eyes again.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »

Even more so for my son Dragon than myself. I'd told him we were going and we'd try to have her sign his Twilight Sparkle, and he was beside himself with excitement.
Not to diminish a nice story, but that poor bastard never had a chance.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »

Yeah, that was my reaction.  It's a touching story, and all the props in the world to Tara Strong, but ... the number one takeaway from this is "don't name your son Dragon you derpshit psycho."
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »

My favorite thing ever was when I was reading some celebrities wikipedia page (I forget who, it doesn't really matter) and it mentioned who they were married to, and how they had a kid named "Free" (who changed his name to Tom at age 9).

So good.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:35 PM »

Dragon is absolutely a legit name!

... if you're from the Balkans.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 19, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »

Have I mentioned the neighbors I had who named their kid Anakin? Because I had neighbors who named their kid Anakin.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 21, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23