Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100727 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »

Just from reading the Wikipedia article, it sounds a lot like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »

GOOGLE SHUTTER ISLAND
 :advice:
SAVE EVERYONE THE BULLSHIT OF HOLDING YOUR COCK WHILE YOU PISS
It's just a piece of meat.  It's got no major diseases.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »

I saw Shutter Island with Matt and he thinks [spoiler]that he still wasn't (and had never been) crazy, he just went along with it because of the conspiracy stuff[/spoiler] but I think [spoiler]Matt's a big dummy[/spoiler].

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 22, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »

I posit that you are an equally big dummy, but in less volume. Making you the denser of the two.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »

But see, if I ask what it's about here, I can be sure that I don't get the dreaded SPOILERS.
Whereas if I were to google it, I'd get everything shoved down my throat.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 22, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

It's 1954, and up-and-coming U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is assigned to investigate the disappearance of a patient from Boston's Shutter Island Ashecliffe Hospital. He's been pushing for an assignment on the island for personal reasons, but before long he wonders whether he hasn't been brought there as part of a twisted plot by hospital doctors whose radical treatments range from unethical to illegal to downright sinister.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »

Classic u r mean :negative:

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #467 on: February 22, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »

Actually, MCE, I would argue [spoiler] that he was 'cured' at the end, he just punished himself because he couldn't live with the truth. I mean, hell, that was his entire driving force, and he found a way they could do it for him better than he ever could.[/spoiler]

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »

[spoiler]100% agreed.  My take was that he was finally able to see reality for what it was, but was unable to "live as a monster" so he pretended to think he was a good man so that he could "die as a good man" like he said.[/spoiler]

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 22, 2010, 09:05:53 PM »

Damn, that was impressive.  In the beginning, I was thinking that the editing style looked a bit dated, but it faded out of mind and possibly just out the film entirely when things started ... crumbling.

Now the spoilerific comments (with added [spoiler]spoilering [/spoiler]just for the hell of it*!):
Was the [spoiler]Nazi commander[/spoiler] showing that [spoiler]he himself[/spoiler] was [spoiler]suicidal[/spoiler]?  If not, I'm not [spoiler]exactly [/spoiler]sure why that bit was [spoiler]played up as much[/spoiler] as it was.

I [spoiler]guessed[/spoiler] the [spoiler]twist[/spoiler] right from [spoiler]the[/spoiler] beginning, but it made me [spoiler]care[/spoiler] anyway, then [spoiler]shocked[/spoiler] me with [spoiler]the lack[/spoiler] of [spoiler]a real last-doubt twist [/spoiler]at the [spoiler]end[/spoiler] that this kind of [spoiler]story[/spoiler] is [spoiler]known[/spoiler] for.  Sorta a [spoiler]meta-twist[/spoiler] thing [spoiler]there[/spoiler].

*It's more interesting to the people who don't read spoilers this way, as it's not just a post of [spoiler]spoilers[/spoiler]

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »

The Crazies:

What happens when zombies can do things other than shamble forward and devour brains?

Go nuts and kill people with guns and fire, that's what!

and lol military

Here's a rambling video of me!
http://blip.tv/file/3279318

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 28, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »

Finally saws Avatar. It was good, though I clearly wasn't as emotionally effected as others. I attribute this in part to me having played video games before and therefore not falling into a state of abject awe at waterfalls coming off of a floating island.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 28, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »

Now if only they could put that kind of special effects budget into a Ringworld miniseries.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 06, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »

Saw American McGee's Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.  It's easy to tell that every single amount of effort and work went into making the absolutely fantastic images, which are in the service of a fairly mundane plot.  The symbolism, wordplay and surreality of Carol's writing becomes bogged down by a plot about warring kingdoms and straight-forward fantasy plot.

It also hits every single part of the Tim Burton Secret Formula.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1929453

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »

Saw Alice in Wonderland.
It was...
Well, it was a good movie. And it had Alice in Wonderland characters.
But I wouldn't call it an Alice in Wonderland movie.
See, for me, Alice in Wonderland isn't the Mad Hatter or the caterpillar or even the chesire cat. It's about logic  problems and words and social commentary and such. I love the books and the cartoon movie not for the characters, but for the ideas behind everything. The books were great in this regard and the cartoon was fun and had some of the same themes.
This movie? It was good. Don't get me wrong. But there were no clever rhymes and silly things. (Hardly anything was silly at all, for that matter.)They didn't ridicule Alice for following social norms of a world far different from the one she is in. They didn't sing silly songs with strange characters and prattle about a moral different than the one given.  The didn't disseminate language usage.
Mad Hatter stole the show. No surprise there. The story was almost as much about him as it was about Alice. Depp didn't do a bad job. He was a very creepy but lovable character. He was truly crazy though. Not like the Kooky Mad Hatters of old. He had a lot of... fledgling personalities inside of him.  One quoted the books (I think. It was rather hard to hear.) Another was an angry scottish hero-type. He did make hats though, which was nice to see the Hatter do, even though it gave a very Edward Scissorhands vibe.
The completely fucked up my favorite character though. The Dormouse! It wasn't sleepy! Or a guy for that matter. It was a cute little chickmouse that wanted to be a brave knight. It was a nice character but... I like my sleepy dormouse.

tl;dr: Alice in Wonderland: None of that cute and silly vibe with a bit more creepy. Come for the Depp, stay for the... Depp?

EDIT: After a quick reread of what I wrote, I think it could come across as me not liking the movie. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I liked it. It wasn't what I expected. It didn't have a lot of parts I liked. But they talked about the books. And they did a good job on a lot of things.
I just wanted the Dormouse to have narcolepsy or something.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 09, 2010, 06:26:16 AM »

I have to reluctantly agree on Alice in Wonderland.  I went with a couple of friends and snuck in two six packs (hooray for purses the size of a horse).  Didn't realize my friends were lightweights so we quickly became those people.  Cue one girl making a joke about the bandersnatch's tongue and oral sex and me being scarred for life.

I hadn't been keeping up with the previews so I didn't know that this is more of a sequel to Alice in Wonderland.  And like Constantine said, no thought was put into the plot at all.  And as it turns out, if you are like my friends and have never read the books or seen the first Disney movie, you will not understand what is going on.  I only half followed it anyway.  

It was fantastic to watch in 3D, without being totally gimmicky and throwing objects out of the screen at every possible opportunity.  And the scenery changed a lot more than in Avatar so I found it more enjoyable to watch and maintain interest despite the somewhat boring plot.

Two other thoughts... it was not like American McGee's Alice, so Constantine how dare you.  And can Anne Hathaway get a mouth reduction or something?  Every time I see her, it's like she is a snake and unhinges her jaw and makes me feel utterly horrified.  She is #2 on my worst nightmares list, right after Tilda Swinton.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 09, 2010, 08:20:09 AM »

Are you telling me the story is not about Alice growing up and returning to find Wonderland in shambles?

EvaKisu

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Kaitlin McCullough
« Reply #477 on: March 09, 2010, 08:25:38 AM »

I enjoyed Alice in Wonderland, but I got lost looking at the costumes. Guilty pleasure : )

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 09, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »

So is the scifi version and other cartoons I've seen.  It's not a new idea.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 09, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »

So is the scifi version and other cartoons I've seen.  It's not what sets the McGee version apart for me.

Is the McGee actually worth watching?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 59