Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Shit [Units of Time]  (Read 22031 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Shit [Units of Time]
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »

I'm guessing the hospitalization ITSELF is the more pressing issue.

The hospital fees may be the biggest problem but they can be dealt with later.  The school situation is best resolved ASAP.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »

AS much as I'd like to pump Nex for information and offer generic advice, it's probably better that Nex find an in-person counselor of some kind who has actually seen some of his trouble firsthand.

I mean, I did promise to go and drag him the fuck out of his hole. I could still do that.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »

Fair, and of course every case is different.

But I've got some pretty direct and recent experience with trying to juggle somebody's health crisis and education.  There are routes for handling both.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »

Just to be explicit, I'm only complaining about the quality of my own "advice". The real reason I keep ranting about making sure he's got someone local in his corner is that Nex can stop coming to the boards* if shit gets bad. He can't stop existing corporeally if shit gets bad (I think), so having a real someone around to make sure he gets himself out of the worst shits is probably a more reliable safety net.

*Though I think that coming to the boards when shit gets bad is basically an indicator of bad shits. We're not exactly a reliable crowd for solid counseling/psych advice.

EDIT:
I said reliable. Not good. I know we've got some people who are good for it, but we've also got some others who are not so good.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »

The hospitalization itself is the biggest issue. We get government health care, plus I'm covered through my step-dad's employer. College itself has so far been free because of academic and need-based scholarships, but I'm not sure those will hold up to a bad GPA from never going to class and/or actually dropping out of a semester, even if it's for medical reasons. Since the hospitalization is not an immediate I-need-to-be-there-right-now-or-I-will-die thing, we're trying to see if there's some way to schedule it for like a weekend, which sounds weird but at the very least if we put it off until Friday evening I won't miss out on the upcoming tests that each make up 1/4 of the respective grades.

My physician wanted me admitted yesterday. I guess Friday is close enough? I don't really have any clue what I'm doing here, and my parents are not always helpful because they didn't go to college and they don't know how to do anything college-related.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »

Slipped disk? Maybe simply a persistent nerve pinch or cramp? How long ago did it start?

Persistent cramp. Started up around yesterday evening. Woke up in incredible pain this morning. Have taken pain killer since, and it's helped so very much.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »

College itself has so far been free because of academic and need-based scholarships, but I'm not sure those will hold up to a bad GPA from never going to class and/or actually dropping out of a semester, even if it's for medical reasons.

Which is why you want to get in touch with the professors, right now, and see what kind of accommodation they can provide.  "I have to be admitted to the hospital" will get you some extended deadlines and some waived attendance requirements from all but the biggest hardasses, and if you DO end up dealing with the biggest hardasses, then you have solid grounds for an appeal.

I'm not just saying "Stay in school."  I'm saying you don't have to suffer bad grades or drop out a semester.  You may find yourself playing catchup, and it may be difficult, but in most cases it's better than losing a scholarship.  I don't know the specifics of what you're dealing with, so I may be wrong, but speaking in general you've got options.

EDIT TO ADD: And Classic's right, it helps for someone to have your back.  Someone who can navigate college politics is good, but even just somebody who can bring you a bite to eat when you're not feeling up to cooking or going out can be a real relief.  And if you don't feel like sitting at a computer and typing, finding someone who'll take dictation from you isn't necessarily a bad idea either.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »

Christmas music/holiday music gives me a reaction of extreme depression and loathing. Turning any neutral or good mood into an awful one. Also causing me to be incredibly short and pissed off with everyone/everything. More so than usual.

Which is a shame because I used to enjoy the holiday.

Fun times ahead.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »

Just when I think I can't hate Christmas music more, some douchey band tries to sing a classic "in their own special way" and ends up butchering it.
That makes me see red.

and green

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »

Starr bought me a wireless speaker set for my computer and a USB bluetooth adapter to go with it.

Only it turns out that Bluetooth Audio is fundamentally broken and wholly unworkable in Windows 7 (not even updated or 3rd party drivers work, because Windows keeps overriding any installed Bluetooth drivers with its own... which don't support audio over Bluetooth). And that SOME alternate drivers actually have a bug that will WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE (I love that one tech resource I found just has a little note that just says "BIG BUG."). That didn't happen to me (good!), but it's certainly a discouragement from trying to play around and find a solution! Of course, based on what I could see, those alternate drivers don't work anyway, except for certain motherboard drivers for laptops with built in Bluetooth.

It was supposed to be an early Christmas present. And she already had a terrible track record of gifts turning into giant piles of shit through no fault of her own like this. Now she feels Awful³.

:(((((((

Oh Windows 7, why do you have to be so incredibly horrifyingly fucked up about sound, in every possible way?

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »

Because PC sound exploits were infamous on previous Microsoft OSes?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »

Christ alive it got worse.

Starr literally spent all day working to try and fix this. After hours of searching, she made the speakers work. Oh hey, these speakers actually have kind of crap sound quality... well never mind, it's just for working by, so whatever.

Oh hey, now my USB headset is broken and none of my recording software works anymore.

Okay, after much rage and fury the USB headset works again... still can't record anything.

Finally got recording to work again. But get this. It only works IF the old analog speakers are plugged in and selected as the sound output device. Not when the USB headset is selected, not when the USB speakers are selected, not when the wireless audio is selected, only the analog ones.

TWO DAYS

TWO FUCKING DAYS

ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR  STARR

FUCK YOU IN THE CUNTHOLE, WINDOWS

FUCK ME IN THE EYE WITH A FUCKING FUCKITY COMBINE HARVESTER

FUCK

I recognise that at teh end of the day this is not a "Shit Days" level of awful. But Jesus Christ, computers and I do not get along. And Starr is... well, never mind.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

Remember that mole they took out of my armpit? It grew back in less than a month.

So I called the doc "Hey, do you think I should come in again?" "Yescomeseemefirstthinglikeimmediatelynowhangupthephone". Annnnd he decided it had to go. Again (of course).

So MR. DRILLER vs. MY ARMPIT. ROUND 2. FIGHT!

The funny bit was when I asked him what we would do if it grew back a THIRD time. He just gave me this stare, so I said "I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it?" "I like your answer." was his reply.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »

Huh. My shin isn't bruised anymore, but it still tender right on the bone and has firm painful-to-the-touch asymmetry with its mirror bone.

Dunno what that means.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2011, 07:00:22 AM »

Uh, asymmetry between bones is bad, dawg.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »

If something's crooked, you want a pro to look at it before your body gets the idea that it's how it's meant to be.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »

Drats. De-invited from my friend's mom's Robbie Burns dinner.

Not because of anything I did though. My buddy Darryl originally invited me and then was like "Well, I'm not being fair, I should invite friends Y and Z too" and then his mom was "errrrrrrr... too many". And that was that.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »

"That's not what your mom said last night."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »

This is the "my life is a god damned mess" thread in contrast to the "today kind of sucked" thread, right?

Well

I'm broke. I'm pretty sure we all know that by now. I sleep on the floor in the living room of my mother's apartment. We get Section 8 housing assistance.

Well, we did. We won't anymore as of April.

So I need to move, before the end of March.

Now remember, I have a job now. I wash dishes, because of a bad call made by someone with no stake in the effects of his judgment. This was back in August. For five months+ I've been waiting for a promotion back to the line where I started, or at least to anything that isn't washing dishes. Excuses have included that the dishpit is too understaffed to move anyone out of it, it's the holidays and we're too busy to hire or train anyone, or whatever else is topical.

So they just hired a guy to work prep, and I had to train him his first day. That's right, I'm good enough to train the new guy (who actually needed a tutorial on how to hold a knife), but not so good that they don't need to hire a new guy. Anyway, they hired a new prep guy to replace another prep cook moving up to the line.

I checked the schedule for work next week. Not only am I still stuck washing dishes every shift...

...they cut my hours, too.

Welp, time to do something recklessly stupid out of desperation.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2012, 10:26:07 PM »

Oh, right. Did I mention I blew what little savings I'd managed to scrape together fixing my van I can't even drive, and the student loans for the schooling that totally got me out of doing menial thankless labor for $9.50 an hour are coming due any day now?

Because hey

R2s gonna R2
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15