Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: Culture Wars  (Read 73503 times)

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2008, 02:14:11 AM »

Whatever word you use, racist geniuses aren't going to blind me with science while I'm armed with not being a complete retard myself. And if they're out championing racism, I can go out and champion a celebration of the similarities between all humans.

This is missing the point by a wide margin. It's not that intelligent racists are going to win people over to there sides with their massive intellects. In fact I have no idea where you even came up with the notion. My point is that racism is not simply ignorance, and to dismiss it as such is to empower racism in general.

Who is dismissing what now? Calling racism ignorance is labeling it, not dismissing it.

To say that a racist is "just ignorant" excuses the racist, whether you intend it to or not. This isn't to say that ignorance isn't a factor, obviously it is, but it's a deeper seated issue that just not knowing any better.

Can you elaborate on the bolded selection? I don't really see it as much more than a very limited number of vocal hate mongers leading a larger number of ignorant sheep around by their noses, honestly. Reminds me of a church, actually.

The second sentence there just comes off as "look how tolerant and enlightened I am" chest thumping

Well that's exactly what it was.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »

Who is dismissing what now? Calling racism ignorance is labeling it, not dismissing it.

Can you elaborate on the bolded selection? I don't really see it as much more than a very limited number of vocal hate mongers leading a larger number of ignorant sheep around by their noses, honestly. Reminds me of a church, actually.

It is an implicit dismissal of the issue. By labeling the racist ignorant you have classified him and excused him. "Oh" the mind thinks "he's just ignorant". He's not ignorant, he's possessed of a deeply held, and to him well justified belief that a certain segment of the population is evil by default. He can tell you why, and he knows the arguments against him. That's not mere ignorance.

That said, obviously racists are people too. Some will be more ignorant than others, more apt to follow the lead of another, or more apt to lead themselves, but again, to simply label the whole lot of them ignorant is to label racism as ignorance, and that is simply not the case.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »

Holy fucking Jesus.

What the hell is going to be the overall impact of this on the elections, other than
"Now presenting, Senator Barack Obama", and 400 Secret Service Agents pour out of black Ford Explorers before the man himself takes the stage?

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

Reporter who played Ann Coulter rip-off in the film W. beaten and stabbed.

This.

An actor, doing her job... of playing another actor.  Probably Republican herself, considering her living situation.  One can only hope it's actually just the actions of one of those news-reporter fetishists we occasionally get imported from Japan and not actually a political statement written in the blood of one who's innocent even of Thinkcrime.

Dead black bear cub

Equivalent to flag-burning in this state.  You'd get a nice small cell with the largest homosexual we can find.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2008, 08:16:30 PM »

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »

In western Hays County, Texas
!

I... I wasn't there to stop it... I'm a horrible superhero.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »

With great power...comes great responsibility...HURK

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »

...Have avoided posting on this because the source is Huffington Post, but I've seen it corroborated in less-biased outlets like The Guardian, so...

...those nasty anti-Obama robocalls we've been hearing about?  Not only is the McCain campaign funding them, but the firm responsible for them is the same one that ran the "illegitimate black child" smear campaign against McCain 8 years ago.

So to anyone who's still claiming McCain hasn't sold his soul and embraced the dirty politics he previously decried, well...yeah, he kinda has.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »

Kind of makes you wonder if John McCain is just a plant, and the original John McCain wasn't taken to the same place they took the original Michael Jackson.

Yes, Dracula's Moon Castle.  I know.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »

Woman attempts to handcuff Karl Rove.

After she's done, cuts to a clip of Karl Rove blaming the vile Democrats from stopping the saintly Republicans from regulating the Hell out of the economy.  Rove then proceeded to say that "AMERICAN AM NOT EVILEST COUNTRY!  OBAMA FOR SUPERMAN!"

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »

Psst.

It really does fit better in this topic though, you're right.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »

I'd just read that, too...

What the hell is this?  He names himself quick and he beats me to the punch?  What happened to Slowmosome?

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »

CAFFEINE!

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »

Oh, okay.  I kept thinking that I was somehow repeatedly reading the same topic.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2008, 01:05:10 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnp4rocd68&NR=1

The culture war isn't the video (mostly). It's the madness all around it.
Warning: May cause vomiting.

EDIT:
By all around it, I mean in the poster's mad frothing, and the anger of the idiots replying underneath (I say they're idiots because they're making comments on youTube).

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45