Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Worst Stray Thoughts Ever  (Read 63485 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Stray Thoughts Ever
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »

WoW itemization is currently so rigid as to be entirely like that.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2009, 06:03:11 AM »

yeah but you have to open an inventory screen

what a bunch of hooey

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2009, 06:26:18 AM »

I miss the actual literal inventory grid system of Diablo 2, to be honest.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2009, 07:11:56 AM »

Lumberjack MMO.

We did this. Remember the time #finalfight all loaded into Runescape, made identical green-haired characters and chopped down entire forests at once?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »

More of a Wishful Thought: I really want to play a 2D Japanese-style RPG with glorious, high-res graphics that I can download right onto my XBox. I mean it, I want to see a game with Braid / Aquaria / Street Fighter II HD Remix caliber graphics. I want it to be as epic as Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star IV.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2009, 09:01:42 AM »

I've got this bizarre feeling like I should make an effort to recreate the SSI DarkSun games for NWN or NWN2. What's wrong with me?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »

do it and you shall be as gods
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2009, 12:12:24 AM »

[16:04] Frocto: I just had a bad idea for a game
[16:05] Frocto: it's super mario, but when you hit the blocks, you get things from sadlets
[16:05] Frocto: like sad music or your wife dies
[16:05] Frocto: or bad poetry
[16:09] Garlic Bug: I like the thought of hitting a block and 'YOUR WIFE DIED' flashing on the screen
[16:09] Garlic Bug: and the next block over says 'AND YOU KILLED HER'
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2009, 12:36:40 AM »

Are there happylets? Games that provide you with cheerful thoughts?

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 27, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »

I had... a terrible, terrible idea. I just found this:

http://vimeo.com/6569275

You can't really read the fine print at that size, but basically it tells you that every time you destroy an enemy a file on your computer is deleted. Immediately after, I thought about this article about screwing over pirates with bugs that only appear in cracked copies of the game.

I am a terrible person.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »

Bugs that only appear in cracked games are a bad idea. Titan Quest failed commercially because of it and the devs folded.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2009, 02:44:28 PM »

Arkham Asylum got away with it.

Actually destroying anybody's data on purpose is liable to get you sued, though, even if the intended victim is technically committing a crime.  It's the same concept that says you can't go and shoot a person just because they happen to be in your house (unfortunately).  Plus given the industry's track record with avoiding false positives, ahahahaha, no.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »

Arkham Asylum did okay because people reported it as a bug and got told they were filthy thieves. And because half the copies pirated didn't have that DRM after a day. Because it was obvious.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »

Titans Quest was a great game.  That guy is still a stooge though.  Every problem Titan Quest had is entirely other people's fault, apparently.  He rants about how having the crippling anti-software in there was bad, but still ultimately blames piracy.

He then acts like a smug asshole because some guy completely reformatted his computer and the game still didn't work until he flashed his BIOS.  Titan Quest is a fun game, but every time I play with my friends it's about 30 minutes of just trying to make sure none of us get kicked out of the game before we start questing.

Then he cites a 5 to 1 sales statistic of Console vs PC and doesn't even consider cross over sales (people who have both a console and a PC might just buy for console instead of PC).  He also cites some crazy 80-90% pirating statistic, which is something I can't even fathom how you could get an accurate number on.

A lot of game devs like to whine about piracy as the reason they can't make it, but really, none of them want to have an honest discussion about not treating their audience as thieves and putting out a strong, finished product.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

It's the same concept that says you can't go and shoot a person just because they happen to be in your house (unfortunately).
Well, it depends on your jurisdiction, but software piracy and trespassing are even less analogous than software piracy and theft.
...but is it art?

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »

I heard Titan's Quest failed because it sucked.

I heard that casters were super overpowered, the game was really repetitive, even more so than Diablo, and everyone's PC looked the same all the time.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »

I never played it. Constantine makes good points. I think, though, that as whiny as that guy is he's right in some respects.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »

Yeah I just reread the article and nearly fell out of my chair when he got the part about the guy having to update his freaking BIOS to get the game to run.  I would really like to know how the hell the game was coded that that could ever be an issue.  Was it written in assembler or something?  Because it doesn't run all that great besides.

I wouldn't go as far as to say no developers are interested in making DRM a less toxic aspect of PC gaming.  In fact in most cases the developers would prefer to not put their code at risk by adding that sort of crap, and it's the pencil-neck publishers reading the bottom line who force them to do it (which makes sense, considering how each of them are paid).  Generally the solution these days for smaller developers these days is either "Whatever make it Steam-exclusive" or "Fuck this we're moving to consoles", which are both fair enough.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

It's as I once predicted - the company that could make DRM tolerable to end-users would bring in megabucks. It just turns out that company was Valve, and they only managed to do it by inventing a DRM scheme that adds features overall.
...but is it art?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 30