Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 54116 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2010, 07:21:44 PM »

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »

I love how Moffat plays with time. First in The Girl in the Fireplace, then in Blink, then with River Song in the library episodes. And of course, in this episode too, where [spoiler]five minutes for the Doctor turns out of be "twelve years and four psychiatrists" for Amy Pond.[/spoiler]

He even does it on shows that AREN'T about time travel.  Coupling had a couple episodes like that.  The Girl with Two Breasts told the story of two characters with a language barrier between them; the scene played out once from each character's perspective.  Split featured a splitscreen showing the story from two different characters' perspectives; in the final scene the events taking place were an hour apart, so you'd see Susan trip over something on the floor on the bottom screen and then Steve knock it over on the top screen.  Episode 3 of Jekyll starts with Tom waking up with blood on his hands and slowly pieces together how he got there.

I think for RTD time was just a destination, but it's clear that Moffat is treating time-travel as an integral part of the show rather than just a reason for ladies to wear Victorian bonnets.

In fairness, the Ninth Doctor brought Rose back a year later than he was supposed to.

I liked this regeneration episode better than the Christmas Invasion

I think I like it better than ANY regeneration episode I've seen.  Castrovalva is probably #2, as it dropped the new Doctor straight into an already-in-progress battle with the Master.  And because it was the only serial where the Fifth Doctor had a good excuse for standing around looking helpless and bewildered.

(Still haven't seen the #4, #6, or #7 regeneration, and of course #2's lost and #9 doesn't exist.  But I already know the #7 one is pretty much "We fired Baker and stuck a wig on McCoy" bullshit.  And Romana regenerates just for the fuck of it.)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »

I enjoyed it. I just hope the "keeps being late" thing isn't a theme, because I'm already over it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »

...you can't POSSIBLY believe he's going to get her back on time.

...anyway.  I see it as less "he's always late" and more "he has a lot less control over the TARDIS than he pretends to".  Which is not a new theme.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:19 PM »

In fact Russel T. Davies gave the exact reason why he's so poor at controlling the TARDIS.

For better or worse.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:03 AM »

...anyway.  I see it as less "he's always late" and more "he has a lot less control over the TARDIS than he pretends to".  Which is not a new theme.

I do, actually, but only because of the episode preview where she's married.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »

GOD

FUCKING

DAMNIT

WHY DO I HAVE TO BE CAUGHT UP ON DOCTOR WHO SO I CAN'T JUST POUND THROUGH THE ENTIRE SEASON IN TWO DAYS

THIS THIS THIS. I want to be watching more of this right the fuck now

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »

I do, actually, but only because of the episode preview where she's married.

Doesn't mean he gets her back on time.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #268 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »

Yeah, honestly, the whole "got back late to her wedding and then the boyfriends is mad and teetering on not going through with it" as a problem they have to solve, is like, half a season worth of real time character side plot right there.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »

Goddd I hope not.

RTD give me all the whiny domestic family bullshit I could ever want out of my freewheeling scifi adventure.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #270 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

Pleeeeeeeeease. Its an english drama. There's going to be more domestic issues than most broken American homes.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 07, 2010, 03:48:37 PM »

:bam:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #272 on: April 08, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »

I am sure Moffat has a plan, guys.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2010, 11:07:11 PM »

4 Doctor Who adventure games coming.  And they'll be free.  And available in both PC and Mac flavors.

"There aren't 13 episodes of Doctor Who this year," adds Piers Wenger, Head of Drama, BBC Wales and Executive Producer, Doctor Who. "There are 17 - four of which are interactive.["]

I'm sure they're overselling it -- I doubt anything vitally important to the overarching plot will happen in the games -- but it WOULD be interesting if these were a little less throwaway than the animated specials they've done over the past few years.  Like, if they stuck it somewhere between seasons five and six.  (Given that Amy's in the games, that would mean she'd be hanging around for season six.  It WOULD be nice to see a companion last more than one season again.)

Those last two screenshots look like a Dalek city.  Wonder if that's Skaro -- doesn't look anything like it did on the series, but it seems like they must have had an advanced civilization at SOME point in their history.  Maybe after Genesis of the Daleks but before The Daleks?

Moving on: just watched Girl in the Fireplace with my girlfriend.  There IS an interesting throughline in Moffat's stories -- not just the elements of this one and Blink that he brought back in last week's episode, but Madame de Pompadour asking the Doctor to dance.  And her "Doctor Who?" -- yes, it's the title of the show, and a phrase that characters have used in dialogue all the way back to the first episode in '63 -- but I think it bears pointing out that River Song actually knows the answer to that question.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »

GOD

FUCKING

DAMNIT

WHY DO I HAVE TO BE CAUGHT UP ON DOCTOR WHO SO I CAN'T JUST POUND THROUGH THE ENTIRE SEASON IN TWO DAYS

judging from today and from what next week's episode is going to be about i am just going to quote this every week until the last episode of the season airs
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Verde

• Wicked pissah
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 11, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »

Yeah. I don't know how he does it.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:15 AM »

I'm excited about how good this show will be once Moffat gets over how chuffed he is to be in charge of Doctor Who and starts focusing less on grandstanding soliloquys and more on telling a coherent damn story.

Yes, we get it, he is the Doctor. Let's move along, shall we?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »

Good "Angry Doctor" moment toward the end, and nice establishment for Amy Pond as a legitimate Companion. Quite enjoyed the whole thing.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »

Seconding

Loved the "THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE HIGH ON DIGNITY" bit, too.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »

I laughed loud enough to disturb the cat for that scene.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 50