Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Cinematic FilmTrax 3000  (Read 15948 times)

DarkSchneider

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Cinematic FilmTrax 3000
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:45 PM »

What do you guys think of the guest riffer trax with random famous(?) people like Doogie Howser or Lowtax or some comedian I never heard of or Weird Al Yankovic?  In general they seem to be a little less...good, to me, but then, the comfort level just isn't there the way it is between the guys who've been working together for ten years...

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 10:13:27 PM »

What do you guys think of the guest riffer trax with random famous(?) people like Doogie Howser or Lowtax or some comedian I never heard of or Weird Al Yankovic?  In general they seem to be a little less...good, to me, but then, the comfort level just isn't there the way it is between the guys who've been working together for ten years...

I don't know about the other 'trax, but the Willy Wonka one with Neil Patrick Harris wasn't written (in any part) by him at all, just by Mike and whoever else has a hand in them. NPH was just a guest voice, essentially.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 11:35:12 PM »

Associated Content interview with Mike:

AC: On RiffTrax, you’ve got special guests like Fred Willard and Neil Patrick Harris. Do they get involved in the whole writing process?

MN: In that case, we write for them and get them involved in revisions of the script. These people are working actors, and they’re a little too busy to come in for the whole time. It’s amazing how we hit it for them, though–I’m a fan of both of them, so you just try to write in their comic voice, and you’ll send the script away thinking, “man, this is all wrong,” but in both cases, they just loved it. They do come in with some of their own material–Fred Willard brought in some jokes, which was great. But normally it’s about 99% done by the time they get it.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »

Just downloaded the Rifftrax Player and watched the first twenty or so minutes of Lord of the Rings.

The audio is kind of weird. You can hear the commentary just fine, and the music and sound effects, too, but the actual in-movie dialog is muffled and really hard to hear, even with the DVD audio cranked to %100. Since a lot of the commentary is derived from the dialog, well, this seems to be a problem.

EDIT: nevermind. All it needed was a little bit of tinkering with in the Audio options on the DVD.

DarkSchneider

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »

I haven't tried the rifftrax player yet, but mostly I buy the audio and then download a pre-synced riff from a bittorrent site which I frequent, so I don't really feel the need to give that a shot.

I watched the Jurassic Park one last night and it was quite enjoyable, as I recall through the soju-induced haze.  Not quite Star Wars Episode 1 levels, mind you, but definitely better than the fan-written Batman and Robin one.

I'm ashamed to admit that I like these better than all but a few specific MST3K episodes at this point...

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »

Jesus, the Rifftrax Player is batting a pretty shitty average, so far. It worked just fine with the Lord of the Rings DVD, but neither Jurassic Park nor 300 are even attempting to sync properly.

DarkSchneider

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

Do you have the specific version of the film they used to riff it?  That's often a problem--there's a metric buttload of different releases for the movies and a lot of them have minor differences that can throw the sync off terribly.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »

Well, going by the Amazon pages linked to from the Rifftrax pages: no to 300, yes to Jurassic Park.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

New Joel interview, part 1, part 2.

He dispels the rumors that he has a problem with Mike:

Lee Van Cleef: Joel, I’m sure you have had a chance to watch some of the Mike era episodes by now. Do you have any particular favorites among them? I am not one of the joel vs mike people, I love both eras equally and think you both did excellent jobs. I also don’t believe there is any animosity or rift such as the fans seem to WANT to perceive. So with that in mind, its always fascinating to me when one legend speaks about another legend. I would really like to know some of the episodes from ‘Mike: the comedy central years’ and also ‘Mike: the sci-fi years’ that you may have had tickle your fancy. ( Conversely, I would also love to know Mike’s thoughts on his favorite Joel episodes).

[Joel:] Lee, there is no animosity or rift between Mike and I.  As far as a favorite Mike episode goes, I can’t think of a particular show title, but I can say that the times I encountered it on TV, I always thought the riffing to be very funny.

Jetjaguar: I know a lot of people have asked stuff about that but Im wondering if Mike really DID call Joel to do something with Rifftrax - and if so did Joel not call him back or was that a misunderstanding?

[Joel:] Jetjaguar – Good hard hitting forumism.  Yeah it’s true, Mike did call and invite me to do Rifftrax.  The problem for me was he called literally about three hours after we launched our website and announced the news on MST3K.com.  So as you can imagine, I’ve been busy.  You’ll be happy to know I’ve since called Mike back.  But, as I’ve mentioned in other answers, my take is we need some time to get Cinematic Titanic established as a brand before we start loaning ourselves out to another movie riffing venture like Rifftrax.

Callipygias: I'd like to ask Joel if he's open to the occasional "crossover" between CT and Rifftrax (including himself!).

[Joel:] Callipygias, anything is possible. But I have to say, it feels a little like you’re playing fantasy riffball here. Not that that’s bad, interesting ideas spring from such notions. For the time being, I’m mostly interested in getting the word out about what we’re doing at Cinematic Titanic-– we’ve only done one show and are still in development mode. Adding and subtracting people at this point would feel counterproductive.

Mod City: Why didn't you answer the question in reference to Rifftrax in the slashdot interview?

[Joel:] That was a bit of a strange SNAFU between our camp and Slashdot. When John Stotard, our webmaster, forwarded me the questions, I looked them over and thought there were too many. I asked him about it and he said, “that’s part of the deal at Slashdot, they gave you an abundance of questions, sort of expecting you to throw some out”. So the Rifftrax thing was one that I threw out. I received these questions before we even launched the first show so I felt that it was kind of distracting: here I am trying to promote this new movie riffing show and someone is asking me to comment on another movie riffing show. I felt for people unfamiliar with MST3K, the message might get muddy, so that’s basically what happened. I’m happy to answer the questions now of course. What do I think of Rifftrax? Obviously, Mike, Kevin and Bill are really talented so I’m sure their product is great.

He confirms he was talking about Jim Mallon in the Slashdot interview, not Mike:

Mastershake:Now that we know with 100% certainty that you didn't want to leave MST3K, can we ever expect to see you patch things up with Jim and start a revival of Mystery Science Theater 3000 in its original form in our lifetimes?

[Joel:] Mastershake, anything is possible.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »

Obviously it still bothers me that Joel isn't on good terms with Mallon, but getting confirmation that him and Mike, Kevin, and even Bill are at least professional buds is something I find quite comforting. Thanks for the update, Thad.

Go on, anybody. Make a case that a Joel, Mike, and crew RiffTrax/Cinematic Titanic would be anything but invincible. I dare you.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »

All right, I've been jonesing for movie riffing lately.  Money's still tight at the mo, which means my interest is primarily in MST3K eps I can get from Netflix (or BT if they don't have DVD releases), but a few Rifftrax here and there won't break the bank either.

So does anyone have any favorites that haven't been mentioned yet?  Consensus seems to be that Episode 1 and :fail: are among the best Rifftrax.  As for MST3K, I think I've seen the full Sci-Fi era, but in most cases it's been years.  Have seen a good bit of the earlier stuff, too, but not nearly as much; we didn't have Comedy Central in my area back then.

Anyway.  A few of my favorites just to get you warmed up, and so I'm contributing something:

Godzilla vs. Megalon
Manos: Hands of Fate (sort of a gimme, I know)
Pod People
Cave Dwellers
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Mitchell
Santa Claus
Laserblast
The Undead
Jack Frost
Riding with Death
Agent for HARM
Time Chasers
Touch of Satan
Hobgoblins
The Screaming Skull
Boggy Creek II
Girl in Gold Boots

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:38 AM »

I think Eragon is one of the better Rifftrax.  A great combination of spot-on riffing and a truly terrible movie.

Also, Battlefield Earth.  Because I hate you.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »

I'm sure this is biased of me (as it was my first), but I was seized by some serious gigglefits with Road House. I know Mike's solo works don't tend to tickle many funny bones around here, but there's some nice interplay with Disemb-audio, and the esteemed Mr. Nelson really gets ahold of Swayze by turns.

Haven't gotten to the other two Star Wars prequel 'trax, but Corbett really shines in Revenge.

Lowtax doesn't stink up Troll 2 that much. ...Well, there's my defense.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 09:57:28 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y375LhFGDds" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y375LhFGDds</a>

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »

Haven't been keeping up with either the CT or the RiffTrax blog for awhile, so I just noticed that, a couple weeks back, Joel made reference to an upcoming 20th Anniversary box set in October, plus a panel at Comic-Con next month.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »

Rifftrax releasing 2 $1 shorts per week this month.

I haven't checked out the new shorts for this week, but lately they have been very good, nearly on par with the classic MST3K shorts.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »

Rifftrax releasing 2 $1 shorts per week this month.

I haven't checked out the new shorts for this week, but lately they have been very good, nearly on par with the classic MST3K shorts.

I haven't checked this week's either, but yeah, all of the recent shorts have been a lot of fun. And man, those monkey masks in "One Got Fat" are some of the freakiest fucking things I have ever seen.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »

More on the Con panel on the Info Club site (quoted in full):

We now have full confirmation of the upcoming panel at Comic-Con in San Diego, Friday, July 25, 7:15 p.m.

On the panel will be: Trace Beaulieu, Paul Chaplin, Frank Conniff, Bill Corbett, Joel Hodgson, Jim Mallon, Kevin Murphy, Bridget Nelson, Mike Nelson, Mary Jo Pehl and J. Elvis Weinstein. Wow.

The moderator will be Patton Oswalt.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »

:glee:

ME ME ME ME ME
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6