Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: You Can Hear Me How?  (Read 17636 times)

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: You Can Hear Me How?
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30:46 AM »

I have an iPhone, so eventually they start locking you out of new features as the OS progresses and things tend to slow down for older phones anyhow through some arcane, probably background magic.  I'm not sure how that goes on Android platforms, but I'm assuming the answer is the same for both: jailbreak to fiddle with things like that.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2012, 06:34:26 AM »

Are updates mandatory/rollbacks possible, should I have a problem like that?  Or is it like Sony where you get locked out of the network if you don't patch?

With Android, you can always throw your own ROM on there.  It's really a matter of hardware lock - you're committing to this piece of hardware for two years, so it's really worth it to futureproof your decision a bit.

The HTC Evo 4G LTE that's launching soon is an excellent phone, definitely a good choice for new phone.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2012, 05:02:56 AM »

so my motorola milestone is such a piece of shit I am buying an iphone

so the question is
1) iphone 4s, iphone 4 or iphone 3g? I'd like to use it for gamedev and playing tiny games but I'm not exceedingly picky otherwise
2) buy it unlocked, with a cheapo plan that discounts the price by 1/3, or an expensive plan that fully discounts the price?

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2012, 05:46:44 AM »

If you like photography 4s has the best camera, and if you jailbreak it has a panorama mode that's pretty sweet. Apart from that it's a bit faster but otherwise largely equivalent to the 4. Both are a big step up in terms of power, graphics, and elegance from the 3g. This might make a difference for playing things like Infinity Blade but if you're mainly interested in making soosiz-style platformers or whatever I don't think you need to go whole hog.

The expensive plan is by far the most expensive part of owning an iPhone, so if you want to save money I'd say get the cheapo plan but pay more for the phone. On the other hand, unlimited data is pretty badass if you ever want to watch netflix or just do a ton of internet browsing on the phone.

There's also an argument to be made for waiting a couple months and making do with your current phone because there's a reasonable chance of a new iphone appearing june or july, and who knows how sweet that'll be.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »

Samsung Galaxy SIII kinda disappointing!  PenTile screen, no quad-core with LTE, baffling button decisions.  Gonna get an Evo 4G LTE I think.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:48 AM »

I lost my phone! Again. I have about a year until my next upgrade, so I'm debating whether it would be smarter to just buy another junk phone, or pay the ridiculous price for a new android phone. Considering how often I lose/drop/destroy my phones, I'll probably go with the first option.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »

Me(to a number I thought was a friend's): Happy Mother's Day!

Person: IDIOT WRONG NUMBER LOSE IT

Me: Lol um okay no need to be a jackass

Jackass: TIRED OF PEOPLE CHASING THE BROAD YOU ARE YOU CALLED ME WHO's THE JACKASS?

Me: Well, since a. I texted you, didn't call you b. you called me an idiot for no reason and c. you refer to someone you don't even know as a 'broad', I'd say it's you. You are the jackass.

Jackass: FUCK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY

Me: Lol

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

I was getting shitloads of phone calls and text messages from people because some high school kid had a similair number. Around the 20th time I'd been called, I was getting ready to start telling people he'd died.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »

Looked into it and the "commit to spend a minimum $60 a month for 2 years" thing is pretty well unjustifiable considering I don't know if I'll have a job in six months.

Might see fit to switch to Virgin or Cricket for the pay-as-you-go plans; I wouldn't get $150 off my phone like I will if I stick with Sprint, but the way I figure it the thing to do is wait for Christmas sales anyway.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »

Looked into it and the "commit to spend a minimum $60 a month for 2 years" thing is pretty well unjustifiable considering I don't know if I'll have a job in six months.

Might see fit to switch to Virgin or Cricket for the pay-as-you-go plans; I wouldn't get $150 off my phone like I will if I stick with Sprint, but the way I figure it the thing to do is wait for Christmas sales anyway.

I'm going to get a new phone in the next couple days, probably.  Could sell you my old Evo 4G.  It's still a very solid phone, in great condition, and already rooted and running CM7.  That way you can stick with Sprint, up your plan to cover the phone, and if you find yourself no longer able to afford it you aren't tied to a contract.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »

Wow, thanks -- it's tempting.  I still don't think I can afford the data plan right away, but I imagine I could probably do some neat things just fucking around on wifi.  Shoot me a PM; let me know how much you want for it and I'll see what I can do.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2012, 11:51:45 PM »

For all the iPhone users out there, does anyone know if this is worth it? Its a case that is supposed to double your battery life without having to take apart your iPhone and deal with the fact that apparently the fucking battery is soldered in.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »

So my exclusivity contract with Sprint is up the end of the month, which is cool, because Sprint's about exhausted my loyalty.  Problem is, the current selection out there makes Sprint look like the Obama to everyone else's Romney.  As aggravated as I am with the black carrier, everyone else is fucking unacceptable:

* Verizon's plans are a hedge game that challenge you to predict exactly how much data you're going to use monthly for the next two years.  Go under, and you just paid for fucking bunk; go over, and Verizon auto-molests you with a 50% markup.
* AT&T just tells you how much data you're going to use and if you go over, it throws you off a cliff.
* T-Mobile stole several hundred dollars from me through my parents and will never, ever, ever see another fucking cent from my bank account.

The thing is, I don't really need unlimited data; I probably would never go over 3GB even if Sprint's network did cover every, or even any single fucking place I go to.  But I don't appreciate having a completely invisible ceiling over my head, and a smiling man waiting for me to accidentally touch it so he can brutally shank me and twist the knife.  A straightforward, non-punitive pay-as-you-go plan would be nice - you know, the kind that everybody turned out to be willing to settle with when we did this exact same song and dance with talking minutes, and then again with text?  How many times are we going to play this fucking Calvinball bullshit with mobile services?

Well, anyway, fuck it; it turns out that if you don't want to take the increasingly pitiful subsidies for new phones, you don't really have to sign a contract with anyone for service, so for now I'm just gonna coast along on what I have until something that isn't T-Mobile gets surgery for its RCI.

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

if you don't want to take the increasingly pitiful subsidies for new phones, you don't really have to sign a contract with anyone for service,
I really love examining deception by politicians and businesses, so I think it is neat how they charge a few hundred dollars more for any given smartphone than it would cost online and then give you a few hundred dollars toward it if you sign a contract with them. It is such an amazing way to make people think they are getting this fuckawesome deal when they aren't giving you shit. When I got my EVO when it was new I had to pay I think $250 dollars for it, but according to them it was a $500 phone they were giving me $250 off of so, hey, im getting $250 right? Right?

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »

A 800 dollar value, for only 59.99! And if you call now (cue ten minute countdown) you can get this 40 dollar item, absolutely free!

Wow!

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

(You're gonna love my nuts)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »

As jerked around as I feel by Sprint in other areas, I do appreciate that they've let me exit my contract with a minimum of harrassment.  I've heard some horror stories about people from Verizon and Ma Bell thinking they could get away with not renewing months in advance without being robocalled to shit.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »

I have never had a problem with Verizon at all. Last month I canceled my USB modem line and it took all of five seconds. I think a lot of people grossly exaggerate their customer service negatively. As for the data limit. I have five gigs and only ever got close to going over the month I streamed all of battlestar galactica.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

so I think it is neat how they charge a few hundred dollars more for any given smartphone than it would cost online

Uh, source there?  I mean, new phones can always be had unsubsidized, but it's at a high price everywhere.

Like, my current phone is $200 with a contract, $549 without.  You say that this can be had for $200 "online" without a contract?  Please, back this up.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »

I've seen phones for $10-20 cheaper than contract price (with a contract), but never an unsubsidized phone for less. That's the way it works: The phone company foots the additional cost of the phone in exchange for you guaranteeing payment of like $60 a month for the next two years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9