Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IS IT ART?!  (Read 4204 times)

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
IS IT ART?!
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »

An ansi art gallery just opened. A physical one, just a couple blocks from me. It's called 20 GOTO 10. I am not entirely sure how to feel about this, but my initial reaction is suspicion and slight pissoffedness.

I think I would very much like to see this thing. Mostly in the same way I'd like to see a three headed man who bites the heads off three headed chickens. I understand that such a thing is possible, but I find it hard to believe that it exists and need to behold it firsthand, even though it doesn't sound like something I'll enjoy watching in any healthy sense. I probably -should-, being the intended public for the thing. But then, cows are the intended public of abattoirs.

You see, the problem is that this is ansi art. This is, if you can but dig it, some of the most accessible art ever conceived. I have a CRT. It'll do that shit. Going to a gallery is entirely unnecessary. The only purpose I can conceive is to change the context of the stuff, and that seems just a little bit too sly.

It strikes me a lot like blown up comic panels hung in galleries. Or that infamous toilet. If the entire point is to challenge conceptions about art by putting it in a gallery, you know, I've seen that. That paradigm shift has sailed. There's also the additional complication that in the case of a toilet there really isn't a lot of original merit to the thing to be cheapened when your whole point is shifting contexts.

Or maybe it's just more Generation Y fuckheadedness. I'm going back to usenet.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: IS IT ART?!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:52:19 PM »

There are two factors that draw me into galleries from time to time, and those are

• The Scale
  • The Material

The first point is one I concede cannot easily be reproduced upon a computer screen. 3D modeling, texture mapping, photographic recreations... They're grand and all, but a draw still remains in inspecting the perspectives and form with your own bobbling head and two feet.

The second point would be even harsher to recreate, as this employs the lighting of the gallery, and understanding the creation as is. For instance, I never regarded Jackson Pollack as a con man or overrated, since understanding how the paint hangs, dimples, and streaks in layers upon the canvas is entertaining in itself.

These galleries can produce the first point, but I imagine the second is non-existent. Flat panels from start to finish, I presume. Who knows, maybe a few works will mix it up a bit, but I would refrain from paying an exuberant price for admission upon my first and possibly only visit.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »

I say go for it. Live a little.
...but is it art?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »

And then die a little on the inside.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »

Sneak in a camera.  Then, you're experiencing what you were intended to experience, AND you're fucking them over by stealing the experience and showing it to us.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »

Sneak in a camera.  Then, you're experiencing what you were intended to experience, AND you're fucking them over by stealing the experience and showing it to us.

Plus the digital reproduction of canvas reproductions of digital art is very post-modern.

BombShellFromHell

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »

Damn.... I thought this was about whether paintings of naked chicks doin' it are art or not.

I'm not a big "art guy", Sharkey, but I'd say ansi art is some of the most interesting stuff to see up close and for real.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »

Hell yeah, it's interesting. That's kind of the thing about it, though. It's not going to get much more "up close and for real" than it is on my damn monitor. The only thing gained from a gallery exhibition is either some kind of unnecessary validation, or a smirking challenge of what people consider art at the expense of the art itself.

BombShellFromHell

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »

Hell yeah, it's interesting. That's kind of the thing about it, though. It's not going to get much more "up close and for real" than it is on my damn monitor. The only thing gained from a gallery exhibition is either some kind of unnecessary validation, or a smirking challenge of what people consider art at the expense of the art itself.

I suppose you could look at it like that. I'm only vaguely familiar with the type of art you're speaking about. My ex-girlfriend was really into it, though. I've seen a few select examples of it, but I'd appreciate it if you'd better explain what it is.

On a completely unrelated note; did you delete my avatar for some reason?

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:58:44 PM »

I suppose you could look at it like that. I'm only vaguely familiar with the type of art you're speaking about. My ex-girlfriend was really into it, though. I've seen a few select examples of it, but I'd appreciate it if you'd better explain what it is.

1) Do I look like Google, bitch?

2) No.

BombShellFromHell

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:00:28 AM »

1) Do I look like Google, bitch?

2) No.

1. Fair enough, Sharks. I guess that's what Wikipedia's for.

2. Maybe I'm just crazy. I was going to change it, anyway.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »

To be fair, nothing stood a chance after this hit Frisco.

S'okay. Expectations are an unnecessary state of mind after witnessing unadulterated excellence.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 04:14:10 PM »

Having personally experienced that show, hell yes. It was organized by people who knew what they were doing. They had real material, original pages, with useful and insightful commentary. They even had a clever weaboo trap, luring them away from the actual exhibit where they might try to talk to people.

Now we just need a domestic release of Bomba!
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »

There are two exhibits opening tomorrow at my local Gallery: The first one is called Hatchery. I think it's about the hypocrisy of the amount of natural resources vs. the P.R. surrounding same. It's an ice fishing shack (set up inside the gallery space) covered in stock photos of people fishing. On the inside of the shack are many, many singing fish plaques rigged to a motion detector.

The second is a collaboration project where a bunch of artists were invited to create body parts which were then assembled into supposedly whimsical dolls. It's called 3-D Exquisite Corpse.

They both sound delightful.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »

many, many singing fish plaques rigged to a motion detector.

There is an evil upon this land. Time to gather a ragtag party consisting of a thieving catman, sorceress princess, reclusive scientist, mutant onion, and Hawkman.

We are gonna fish the shit outta this dungeon masquerading as a gallery.

IndieJones

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 08:54:01 AM »

Revelation artistry, so fed up with hypocrisy
There isn't a label large enough to fit your bill

Act like you deserve to win, trade up for a thicker skin
For scraps of acceptance from coked-up quasi-urbane kids

I'm really, really, really, really proud of what you did

Post-paint boy, with your art
You're penny rich and dollar dumb
In a style that they call
So non-European

You're the maker of modern
Minor masterpieces for the untrained eye
Minor masterpieces for the untrained eye--yep!

Belarus Biennial, you surely surely made them wow
Minds were blown and bombs were thrown--oh no!!

Seventeen anteaters, sequestered in a room
With the sisters of mothers of famous gluttons I don't know

You really, really, really, really, really, really showed

Who can blame you for becoming
Penny smart and dollar dumb
In a world that has become
So American

Minor masterpieces for the untrained eye--yep!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »

GO TO THE MOCCA
 :advice:
RIDE THE POLYSTYRENE ZAMBONI

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested