Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 58

Author Topic: Jap Cartoons  (Read 93436 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Jap Cartoons
« Reply #840 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:38 AM »

I will take your girlfriend's suggestion to heart.

Crouton

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »

Unless you're the type that would enjoy pointing out every little difference with each episode, you can just watch the first, second, and last episodes of endless 8.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 14, 2010, 03:29:17 AM »

kyon-kun denwa

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 14, 2010, 03:53:30 AM »

kyon-kun
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 14, 2010, 03:53:46 AM »

denwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:39 AM »

Unless you're the type that would enjoy pointing out every little difference with each episode, you can just watch the first, second, and last episodes of endless 8.

I feel like four episodes would be appropriate trolling length, but fuck watching all eight.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 14, 2010, 05:47:00 AM »

The novels just had like, one 'loop'

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 14, 2010, 06:15:09 AM »

The best part was when the number of loops Yuki said they have been through starts to go over what she said in the book. I think it was the 3rd episode.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 14, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »

Well, if Endless Eight accomplished anything positive, it was to make me feel [spoiler]genuinely sad for Nagato, making it much easier to accept and sympathize with the breakdown that happens in Disappearance.  I mean, fuck.  She had to live through 15,532 episodes of Endless Eight.[/spoiler]

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 18, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, or When They Cry.

One of my new best friends turned me on to an anime about murdery mysteries and yanderes and awesome creepy occult stuff and conspiracies and oohhhh God I want more/similar stuff.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »

Go watch Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I never watched it, but it's a similar story made by the same people but in a different setting.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 19, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »

I've got that lined up actually. Just finishing Season 2 of Higurashi.

VgameT

• So, what does "drawing manga" mean to you?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 19, 2010, 04:10:38 PM »

If you have the time for it I would seriously suggest just reading the Umineko novels instead of watching the anime.  I haven't seen it but the general consensus is that the anime is kind of garbage and does a really bad job at getting the story across.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »

Tenchi Muyo was my gateway anime

there I said it.

I love the series, even with all it's massive faults and Tenchi's inability to shove it in any of them. At least he shows a goddamn reason the girls fall all over him other than some Kietaro-esque MAGIC POWER OF PLOT

I bought the first DVD of Pioneer's Signature Collection of Tenchi Muyo off of Rightstuf's bargain bin. To say the other 3 DVDs are being a pain in the ass is understating it.

Amazon used sellers are demanding 30-50, even 60 a DVD. Yes I could just torrent them but I'd like to own something that had an impact on me in the palm of my hand.

Help from anyone please

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 23, 2010, 03:30:41 AM »

Tenchi was always good for a laugh in that early 90's kind of way.

Given a lot of the OPAQUE SRS BUSINESS stuff I catch wind of now, silly retardedness like Tenchi and Ranma look pretty good.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 23, 2010, 04:31:23 AM »

It was El-Hazard and Ah! Megami-Sama for me. That is, if you don't count Samurai Pizza Cats, Dragon Ball or pretending not to watch Sailor Moon.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 23, 2010, 05:08:55 AM »

or pretending not to watch Sailor Moon.

LOL, oh yeah, I remember that. :hi5:

Man, I'm trying to remember what my "Anime Gateway Drug" was, but I can't. I know I want to say Ranma (since that's when I started understanding the term 'Anime' and specifically seeking out more Japanese-made cartoons), but I know for a fact that that wasn't it. Pushing it back further, I want to say Saber Rider (I'd say it counts as an Anime as much as Sailor Moon does), but I'm sure I'd seen something earlier.

It may in fact have been original early 80's-run Astroboy episodes.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 23, 2010, 06:16:54 AM »

Fun joke: The Japanese VA for Sailor Moon also voiced Excel of Excel Saga.  There was an episode that poked at American animation such as Disney, the Simpsons, etc, and there was an "In the name of the moon..." speech.  When she was called out on it, she angrily shouted, "HEY!  I was doing great with this stuff up until a few years ago!"

The dubbed version had Excel's VA do the same sort of gag, except it was "I wanted this part, but it was dubbed in Canada!"

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 23, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »

Well, everyone watched Astro Boy when they were a kid. I think it was definitely Pokemon that got me wanting to watch stuff on SBS, Evangelion that got me going to the anime club and Rurouni Kenshin that turned me gay for Soujiro made me a fag.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 23, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH

My local PBS station ran this in the late '80s, and also ran Tenchi Muyo / Evangelion / Please Save My Earth / Key The Metal Idol and others in the early/mid '90s.

Quote from: Yon Wikipediarrrrrrs
Starting in April 1981, KTEH started showing the British science-fantasy show Doctor Who, and continued to do so until January 2003. On April 10, 2007, KTEH resumed airing "Doctor Who" with the 2005 series starring Chrisopher Eccleston. KTEH has also aired another British sci-fi show, Red Dwarf. In 1998, KTEH and aired the entire season of Red Dwarf  VIII in one night. In doing so, many episodes were shown on KTEH before British television.

KTEH was also the first to air Neon Genesis Evangelion (rated TV-14, TV-PG, and TV-MA; subtitled) in America, as well as the Tenchi Universe (rated TV-PG, dubbed) TV series. These shows were later shown on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block. Other anime that have aired on KTEH include, but were not limited to, Dirty Pair Flash (rated TV-PG; subbed), All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (rated TV-PG; subbed), Sakura Wars (rated TV-PG; subbed), Serial Experiments Lain (rated TV-PG, dubbed), City Hunter (rated TV-14; dubbed), Please Save My Earth (rated TV-14; dubbed), and Urusei Yatsura (rated TV-PG and TV-14; subbed).
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 58