Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!  (Read 10746 times)

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in the mood for some Mining and some Crafting. Let's Play... Terraria!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

This thread inspired me to bug a friend to buy me this game!

...what?

Beat, I should be online around 5pm PST today, if you want to play with someone.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »

Turns out the Guide can tell you what recipes turn a given item into something else. Like, he can tell me that cobwebs turn into silk, but not what kind of workstation does that.

Going "Hey tell me everything I can do with lumber" gives a huge list, including many items I haven't seen yet, so that's promising. Like, hey, there's a Loom I can build. I guess that's how you turn cobwebs into silk.

...now how do I get a Loom?

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »

[spoiler]You need a tablesaw.[/spoiler]
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Niku

• MEAT
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »

...now how do I get a Loom?

You should probably go ask a pirate.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »

The gap in my knowledge was caused for want of a chain. They're useless in Nethack, how good can they be in a different game? Anyway, I craft a few iron chains.

Ooh, ostentatious.

Ever the conscientious lumber collector, I plant several acorns collected from fallen trees. The saplings are hard to tell from the wild undergrowth, but they're there.

As I go to collect more wood for advanced wood craftings, I encounter my first Harpy.

It does not end well.

That was quick. Trees fertilized with blood grow quickly, it seems.

On my way to collect my dropped coinage, I encounter my next two harpies.

That doesn't end well either.

I return once more, grab my loose change, and get the fuck out of there.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »

With a chain in place and some restocked lumber, I can craft a Sawmill.

But without a place to put it I have to expand my workshop.

Sitting at the sawmill allows me to craft a loom, and thus silk, and thus beds. No one has to sleep in chairs anymore!

Who am I kidding, no one in this game sleeps.

I don't remember if I screencapped finding this thing, but I have a Forceful Enchanted Boomerang. It flies in whatever direction the mouse pointer is pointing. It goes, it comes back, and deals more damage than my gold broadsword to anything it hits on the way. It also glows in the dark, making it nice to scout out dark caverns.

It's handy for keeping entire mobs at bay.

Another subterranean structure.

It feels kind of weird to find ten gold ingots and go "Eh, not much here", but eh. Not much here.

Risky business, this underwater exploration.

Okay, so throwing it downward tends to hit whatever platform I'm standing on, but if the enemies are in the right spot, the Enchanted Boomerang makes ranged combat quite safe. A little tedious, but safe.

It lets me clear out the mob around this next Crystal Heart, for instance, without ever taking a hit.

Hey, a skellington finally dropped a hook!

Neato.

This doodad flies out wherever the mouse is pointing but can't be mapped to a mouse button. This seems impractical. It works like a Hookshot, yanking me over gaps and up to ceilings.

That doesn't sound good.

Holy christ even the rabbits turn evil during a Blood Moon.

Also mobs get much bigger. Every number represents a zombie.

Fuck it, I'm walling this bad bitch off and waiting until sunrise.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

Having survived the Blood Moon (Human NPCs get testy but still do their jobs, and no monsters spawn inside the apartment building or can move through its walls, so everyone was fine), I continue my spelunking.

And find a new monster, a skellington mage who fires blasts of magic clear through walls. His name is Tim. No, really.

Ooh, glowy.

...on account of the magma. I do a little mining and warp back to the surface. I'm not sure what happens if I fall in lava, but I can damn well guess. Not sure what sort of monsters live down here, either.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

[spoiler]Only the female NPCs get testy in a Blood Moon.[/spoiler] In an example of how terrible the game's humor can get. Also, if you get slick enough with the grappling hook, consider making the ground beneath your home a huge moat of lava.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »

Lyrai I can't even handle water half the time I do not know how to handle lava in the slightest.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »

And that's why [spoiler]your females keep getting testy.[/spoiler]

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »

I'm not sure I follow yOhhhhhhh. :OoO:

...I don't get it.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »

Turns out beds have a purpose other than just decoration! You can use them to set a respawn point for when you die.

Having reached a logical limit to how far I can burrow downward, I explore the surface a bit more. Which includes this funky cursed sort of place I'd been to before.

There was a desert off to the left before, but I uh

I needed a lot of glass.

The lumber isn't cursed or anything, but trees here no longer generate acorns.

These are Eaters of Souls, but they're basically just giant cockroaches that ram into you. There are a lot of them in these areas, and they come in three sizes.

After some experimentation the only thing I can tell you about this thing is it hurts you if you try to dislodge it from where it's set. Beyond that I have no idea what it is or what it's for.

There's some mineral wealth to be had here, but not much. I still can't dig through the darker blocks.

The landscape here is littered with deep, narrow chasms. Most are dead-ends, but one leads to a cave complex with lots of treasure pots.

New statue.

That must be one of the crystal balls Kyle told me about, the kind that makes meteors fall when you break 'em.

You'd think Demonite would be easier to find in a blighted hellhole, but it's just as rare here as anywhere.

Corrupt Goldfish: stronger than piranha.

At this point I remembered I have bombs, which it turns out are capable of smashing through small areas of the blocks I can't mine through yet. From here on out I'm calling them Ebonstone, because after knocking some loose with explosives and picking them up I learned that's what they are.

Bit tricky to get bombs to go where you want them to. They tend to roll around.

But I do get to one of these crystal balls.

Chill or no, "Godly Musket" sounds promising.

As promised, once you have a firearm, an Arms Dealer shows up to sell you ammunition. I'll set one of the apartments to his once I get back.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »

Suddenly I realize I want everyone I know to play Terraria with me.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

Seems legit.

I assume they're for crafting some fuckoff powerful sidearm.

...hmm.

Goblin Army? That sounds vaguely unpleasant.

Sho nuff.

THEY ARE IN MY AWESOME CASTLE IT ISN'T EVEN DONE YET  :rage:

Goblins come in several flavors. Warriors are big and tough and big and tough and big and tough. Scouts are smaller and more agile. Archers do what you'd expect them to do. Wizards teleport around and zap you with magic.

And there are an awful goddamned lot of them in an army.

This was actually kind of awesome, I was pummeled down to low HP and threw a grenade into a mob. I died in the explosion but took several with me.

This is getting tedious.

Firing my new musket downward is kind of useful, but it seems semirandom whether any given wooden platform stops the bullet.

Goblins drop a lot of these when they die.

Between throwing them quickly and them hitting multiple times before they disappear, they're remarkably effective at chewing through the mobs of goblins that drop them.

FINALLY

DID YOU NOT GET THE MEMO

I clean up the tombstones in the area, including a couple from very early on that were near my castle anyway.

And build my own mausoleum.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

That hill near the starting point? I knocked it down.

In doing so I buried a rabbit, but it's his own fault for not getting out of the hole.

I then knocked out the bottom layers of the apartment building I was using as a workshop until I moved all my tools to my new castle. The NPCs should be pretty safe now.

I'm digging around the corrupted areas now, to see if they make the surrounding area any richer but mostly to see if I can find some more Demonite. Shit's rare.

New thing.

I've taken to building little nooks to hold my explosives in. They rarely bounce out.

Turns out explosions can also break crystal balls.

You can attack while grappling to a ceiling. This is useful to know.

Oooh, that sounds interesting. Let's go look for it!

It seems reasonable that a meteorite would crash about ground-level, leaving a crater or something immediately noticeable. But I don't know where on the map it is, so I head off in a randomly-chosen direction (in this case, left) from my spawn point. I make it to the other corrupted area without finding anything amiss.

Find some new stuff in that corruption, though. New plants, at least, they're growing out of regular mud.

There's more new stuff on the other side of the corrupted area.

FUCK

Man why you gotta go and do a thing

I end up dying and respawning, with zombies and demon eyes battering at my doors. Thank god they can't open th--

DAFUQ DID YOU GET IN AAAAAAAHHHHH

ZOMBIES CAN OPEN DOORS NOW

I guess it's a Blood Moon thing.

Except, wait.

They can't open the one door, or they would have. Is it blocked by having a chair near it? I've had some trouble getting that door to work myself... I guess it can't open inward with a door there, and zombies never step back to let it swing outward.

BAR THE DOORS

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

This hilltop, just to the left of Gaia's Cleavage, is the only place Harpies spawn. But they do that constantly here, swooping down from above and shooting feathers. I wonder what's up there?

Yes, I know I'm supposed to be looking for that meteorite crater. I have the attention span of a puppy sometimes.

I chop down some trees to make room, then start building a narrow structure to keep from getting flayed by Harpy feathers as I build. They can fire straight downward through the wooden platforms, but aren't smart enough to do that intentionally.

Gravity is noticeably weaker up here.

I wonder if I'm high enough up to keep Harpies from respawning? I cut a few firing holes in my ladder and take potshots at them with my musket as they wing by.

Short answer: No, they still respawn constantly.

I reach the top of the map, and have found dick all.

But the way I see it I can build a little hallway up here and that'll help me bypass ground hazards. Seems legit, right?

So I spend several minutes doing that, get knocked off by a Harpy, fall to the ground and die. I'd put so much effort into traveling such a small distance that eh, fuck it. Back to looking for that meteorite.

Right.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »

Aw, it's that little shelter I built to keep zombies from landing on my head during the Blood Moon.

The jungle -- for that is what this is -- has a lot of standing water and deep pools. Crossing them is a snap with the grappling hook, though.

H... Hinawa...

Immediately beside the rainforest is a desert. Um.

I'm just gonna roll with it.

Night falls, I decide I don't want to spend hours in the wide open area fighting off monsters, and shelter myself while I go unload the dishwasher and make a sandwich.

This would be a lot more tempting if I couldn't grab items through narrow walls.

Goblins spawn naturally out here, army not included.

Either that or this guy got lost on the way to my castle.

Anyway, this body of water is not noticeably drained when I fill the trench immediately to my right. It's really big.

But rather than build over it, I dig under it. Why not? There's more stuff down here.

Yep, still wet.

I reach the edge of the map on this side, too.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

Turns out the meteor fell just on the far side of the corrupted area I was exploring when it hit. I could have gone straight up and run right into it, I bet.

The golden pickaxe explicitly states it is capable of mining meteorite ore. I do so.

And in doing so attract the attention of Meteor Heads. They float at a medium speed through walls and obstacles to ram you, doing a lot of damage and possibly setting you on fire. They're low on HP, though; sometimes two sword swipes will kill one.

Nonetheless, I die several times.

But each time I do I respawn with a little more meteorite ore in my pockets, which I smelt into Meteorite Bars in my furnace.

"Hey Kyle I have some thunderbolt iron what can I do with it?"
"You can make a fuckin' lightsaber, dude."
"Fuck yeah."

Either I mine enough of the Meteorite away that the Meteor Heads stop spawning entirely, or they gave up and went home. Either way, I got every chunk of ore I could find, resulting in 59 Meteorite Bars. Not a bad haul.

Some experimentation shows that the Hamaxe is a combination hammer and axe, allowing me to chop trees and destroy background elements better than my gold axe and gold hammer could respectively. Unfortunately I thought this was higher level of pickaxe, and it's not -- it's useless on dirt.

I want a red one, so it goes faster.

vwoom vwoom vwoom vwoom vwoom

I head back to the corrupted area, hoping to break enough crystal balls that another meteorite drops, so I can forge the armor set that's made of that stuff.

Man I didn't even get a good screencap of that guy. I think I found my first boss!

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »

[spoiler]There is, in fact, something up in the sky - depending on how large your world is, 2 or 3 somethings. However, to save you the frustration of fighting your way through harpies, dying, falling, and general bullshit:

Don't go looking for it until you find a special key down in the ground.[/spoiler]

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »

Two orbs right next to each other. I'll get you yet, Eater of Me.

I build a quick exit up to the wider cavern above, so I have a place to fight the bastard.

...but he doesn't appear.

There's that, though.

He doesn't appear again. So apparently its orb -> chill, orb -> screams, orb -> GIANT WORM MONSTER

...speaking of, "Eater of Worlds" is my new favorite penis nickname.

I remember that hey, potions might help in this fight. So I go back to review my gear and grab some. The Ball o' Hurt is a flail, the first one I've found.

The Vilethorn is a spear.

EPIC FLAIL

The spear isn't much to speak of, but the magic throrns that sprout from it look pretty effective. It takes mana to attack with it, though.

Arena: constructed. Potions and glowsticks: set. Ironskin potion for extra defense, Thorns potion for revenge damage when he hits me: check.

BRING IT

WHADDYA GOT WHADDYA GOT

The first thing he got is to pin me up against a wall and hit me several times, but I give back plenty of numbers too.

He splits into smaller versions of himself several times during the fight. Not entirely sure I like the nickname anymore.

SUCK IT

Dude drops tons of Demonite Ore and Shadow Scales.

I wonder if there's a failsafe in place to keep meteorites from landing on NPC apartments or your own spawn point. Because uh

hmm

It seems prudent, when faced with a new material to forge things out of, to forge the pickaxe first. That my sword and hammer/axe are both higher-tier materials already, it's this or armor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7