Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Funnybooks  (Read 161349 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Funnybooks
« Reply #2100 on: September 03, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

I get that this isn't news, per se, but do these facts diminish that it's kind of a dumb idea?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2101 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #2103 on: September 05, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »

"Muslim car thief becomes Green Lantern" sounds like a GTA mod.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 09, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »

“The next question was about Marvel and DC Comics not being creator friendly. Ennis said he thinks that DC Comics has realized what Marvel Comics has, that you do not have to do creator-owned comics, and you can keep putting out the same thing and people will buy it. “Before Watchmen”—which he said he has not read and will not read—is a message that the balance is going away from the writers and artists back to corporate. As such, DC Comics is not creator friendly right now. He said that going to smaller publishers and getting as much of your own works out in print is not changing the industry, but survival. He does not want to be a creator in failing health asking for charity. Nor does he want to be a creator knocking out a “Huntress/Catwoman” series at 65. He said there is “no union, no one looking out for” the creators. Later he added that he wished he owned several characters he created under work-for-hire agreements, including Baracuda (from “The Punisher,” published by Marvel Comics), Kev (meaning Kevin “Kev” Hawkins from “The Authority” published by WildStorm), and “Hitman” (from DC Comics).”

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/04/a-comic-show-the-new-green-lantern-is-not-a-terrorist-hes-a-car-thief/

:facepalm:

So, the black muslim green lantern that uses a gun and has green lantern prison tats is also a car thief.

Not racist.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 09, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »

He's not black, he's Lebanese. The car thief thing goes like this: he lives in Dearborn, Michigan, where he worked in an automotive factory which was shut down. Desperate for money, he turns to car thievery, but accidentally steals an armed van bomb, gets arrested by Homeland Security, extradited, and tortured, which is when the ring finds him and makes him the new GL of Sector Whatever.

Yes, it's incredibly hamfisted, but that's pretty much par for the course with superhero comics, and given that Geoff Johns, who created him, is also Lebanese, I think the cries of RACISM were a bit premature this time. I know, people on the internet casting judgement without knowing all of the facts, crazy, right?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 09, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »

To be fair, he can't be just Lebanese. Lebanese arabs are typically pretty light skinned. Check it:

google image search

Is it possible that his 'ethnicity' might have gotten amped up by DC? It just seems weird that the masked, gun-wielding green lantern car thief is also a suspiciously african american looking lebanese person.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 09, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »

Yes, it's incredibly hamfisted, but that's pretty much par for the course with superhero comics, and given that Geoff Johns, who created him, is also Lebanese, I think the cries of RACISM were a bit premature this time. I know, people on the internet casting judgement without knowing all of the facts, crazy, right?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Johns was born in Detroit, Michigan, son of Barbara and Fred Johns of Clarkston, and grew up in the suburbs of Grosse Pointe and Clarkston. He is of half Lebanese ancestry. As a child, Johns and his brother first discovered comics through an old box of comics they found in their grandmother's attic, which included copies of Flash, Superman, Green Lantern, Batman from the 1960s and 1970s.

Huh. I dunno how strongly he identifies himself as Lebanese, but it's news to me.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »

To be fair, he can't be just Lebanese. Lebanese arabs are typically pretty light skinned. Check it:

google image search

Is it possible that his 'ethnicity' might have gotten amped up by DC? It just seems weird that the masked, gun-wielding green lantern car thief is also a suspiciously african american looking lebanese person.

That's entirely possible; every other recent controversy over minority superheroes has resulted in boosted sales for the company involved, so I wouldn't put it past DC to try and manufacture one. Here's an actual shot of him from the comic:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 09, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »

Yeah, Lebanese guys look very mediterranean.

Because they are.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 09, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »

google image search

That's entirely possible; every other recent controversy over minority superheroes has resulted in boosted sales for the company involved, so I wouldn't put it past DC to try and manufacture one. Here's an actual shot of him from the comic:

Yeah, looks completely different in the actual book. I'm convinced now that DC just made him look black on the cover to get people talking about the book.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »

I'm convinced now that DC just made him look black on the cover to get people talking about the book.

I can totally beleive that at this point, but it could just have been an unintentional cock-up/miscommunication between Johns and the cover artist.

Or, simpler still, the cover artist was all "A-RAB? OH LIKE A SAND-NEEGAR, RIGHT?"

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 09, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »

That's some pretty washed-out lighting though.  Have any other pages?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »

I'm thinking it's the latter:

Having lived 15 minutes away from Dearborn for 22 years I don't think I ever met a person of Arabic descent that was this dark skinned. I've met some Indian people (as in India) who did but that's like saying Mongols and Japanese are functionally the same because they're both from Asia.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2115 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »

Ennis said he thinks that DC Comics has realized what Marvel Comics has, that you do not have to do creator-owned comics, and you can keep putting out the same thing and people will buy it. “Before Watchmen”—which he said he has not read and will not read—is a message that the balance is going away from the writers and artists back to corporate.

Tempting as it is to treat "DC" as a monolithic entity, this is really down to the ousting of Paul Levitz and the reorg that put DC more directly under WB's thumb.

Levitz didn't always make creators happy -- he pissed off Moore, Ellis, Millar, and Ennis himself off the top of my head -- but he was (is) a creator himself and much more sympathetic to their situation than most company presidents.  He actively pursued equitable deals with creators, even old ones who he was under no obligation to help, even renegotiating old deals to give royalties and profit-sharing agreements to creators who Marvel would have just told to fuck off.  He came pretty close to a deal with the Siegel estate, and even did his best to appease Alan Moore -- he didn't really succeed at either of those, but current management doesn't even seem interested in trying.

And he was very clear that there would be no Watchmen sequel on his watch.

(Wait...Watchmen...watch...Dr. Manhattan's watch, the Doomsday clock -- I just got that!)

It's not a coincidence that Before Watchmen was pretty much greenlit as soon as Levitz was out the door.

I'm convinced now that DC just made him look black on the cover to get people talking about the book.

I can totally beleive that at this point, but it could just have been an unintentional cock-up/miscommunication between Johns and the cover artist.

Bears reminding at this point that every single #0 cover is pretty much terrible.  I'm sure none of us have forgotten the Catwoman one.

(EDIT: Actually apparently the Catwoman one's been changed.  Still a pretty impossible pose but not as bad as it was.)

My uncle was flipping through my stack yesterday and got a look at Animal Man #0.  "So the artist left and they got a guy who quit art school before the class on foreshortening?"

These covers were designed by editorial/corporate; I think even a good artist is pretty hamstrung under those conditions.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #2116 on: September 12, 2012, 05:04:39 AM »

The next question was about Marvel and DC Comics not being creator friendly. Ennis said he thinks that DC Comics has realized what Marvel Comics has, that you do not have to do creator-owned comics, and you can keep putting out the same thing and people will buy it. “Before Watchmen”—which he said he has not read and will not read—is a message that the balance is going away from the writers and artists back to corporate. As such, DC Comics is not creator friendly right now. He said that going to smaller publishers and getting as much of your own works out in print is not changing the industry, but survival. He does not want to be a creator in failing health asking for charity. Nor does he want to be a creator knocking out a “Huntress/Catwoman” series at 65. He said there is “no union, no one looking out for” the creators.

Migration is change.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2117 on: September 12, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »

I think it's missing the word "about".  As in, he's not TRYING to change the industry in doing more creator-owned stuff, he's just trying to make a living.  (And he's a big enough name that, in his case, there IS more money in owning your shit.)

Now, it MAY change the industry -- as I've said before, most A-list creators seem to be doing creator-owned work on the side, and a few have started doing it exclusively.  But even if it doesn't, it's just a good business decision for some of them.  (To say nothing of creative control and the other perks.)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »

Basically, change via demographics rather than by revolution.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »

LADY COP

(no relation to Axe Cop).