Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: GOP Will Eat Itself  (Read 60415 times)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: GOP Will Eat Itself
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »

How many if you head an organization that's simultaneously a church and a reasonably successful corporation?

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »

It doesn't matter.  They'd just do write-in votes for David Miscavige regardless.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »

Four if you own land, yo.

How many votes do we have to give to white guys to restore the ratio to three-fifths?  :slow:

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »

B-but that's only for determining legislative branch seats?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »

Newsweek has Rove's spin on the party's problems.  Not sure if anyone in his party still cares what he has to say, but I think his strategy is one to watch.

I think it's the wrong one -- he buries the "let's still cater to the lunatic fringe" talk at the end of the article, but it's in there.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »

Suggestions that we abandon social conservatism, including our pro-life agenda, should be ignored. These values are often more popular than the GOP itself. The age of sonograms has made younger voters a more pro-life generation. And California and Florida approved marriage amendments while McCain lost both states. Republicans, in championing our values agenda, need to come across as morally serious rather than as judgmental. More than 4 million Americans who go to church more than once a week and voted in 2004 stayed home in 2008. They represented half the margin between Obama and McCain.

That's not buried.  That's shouting from the rooftops.

I am tired of the idea that faith means hate.  I'm not a Christian, but I'm pretty sure that Jesus had other ideas.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »

The younger generation is more pro-life?  Really?  Is that just because most of them wouldn't be alive if not for the pro-lifers?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

Does that imply that most of the younger generation should have been aborted?

Because I concur.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »

California and Florida approved marriage amendments
Is he talking about Prop8 and its equivalent?

There's another reason why governors' races and state legislative seats must be a priority in 2010: redistricting and reapportionment in 2011. Seven electoral votes (and congressional seats) are projected to move from mostly blue to mostly red states, and every House district will be redrawn.
Because I'm the kind of feeb that only gets his news from the goddamn dailyshow and your rants, I'd only barely heard about how the dramatically changed political landscape of Texas, and most of the south, thanks to the hurricane. Now that the many republican burned people of New Orleans have been scattered around the south, I hear they've been upsetting previously unambiguously red states. I should have figured that Rove would realize this and move to marginalize these refugees.

Gov. Sarah Palin will be held to a higher standard than she was during her nine-week vice presidential campaign
Rove does not like her, I think.

President Obama and the Democrats in Congress will, fairly or not, own every problem that emerges.
Just like those infamous terrorist attacks were Clinton's fault, I suppose.

Hm, he does make a wise point recognizing the power of the internet, which Obama has really capitalized on. However, I wonder if he's not drawing a false correlation. It's obvious that some democrats are just as sheepish as your average FOX-wuvin' republican, so I wonder if his suggestion is the same as a Democratic strategist suggesting popular democrats need to go on FOX more often.

Then again, I see that fstdt.org isn't at a loss for quotes, so maybe I'm expecting too much out of the internet.

EDIT:

Moved shit around and this one:
As the party of Lincoln
Fuck this line. It's the most inane thing that I've ever had the misfortune of having heard parroted over and over and over and over and over and over.
I'm not sure why they expect people not to notice the dramatic difference in the base of the modern republican party from the base it had in the 1800s, but whenever I hear it I want to claw eyes out.

Should probably be in pet peeves.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »

Yeah, but they still get to say it.  Dicks.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2008, 07:01:16 PM »

Yeah, I thought that was a neat way for him to dance around that particular issue. But then, that's what he gets paid for.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »

I am tired of the idea that faith means hate.  I'm not a Christian, but I'm pretty sure that Jesus had other ideas.

Since when do Christians actually remember the teachings of their messiah?  Especially when they can misinterpret a book from a foreign culture which they just had to write a sequel to.  Or that part of that canonical Fan-fiction which was obviously written by a guy having a bad trip.

But the "faith means hate" bit probably stems from self-doubt.  It's easy to say someone else is wrong, but it's harder to say "I am right and there is absolutely no way I possibly could be wrong despite no supporting evidence whatsoever!"  So in blind hatred of someone who is unquestionably "wrong" one can forget their own self-conflicts (and the important details of the matter) and thus feel like they're worth a damn.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »

You guys realize that almost all the documented tenets of most organized religion in the world is the result of thousands of years of "arguing-on-the-internet before there was arguing-on-the-internet", right? There is nothing a body can say, no matter how complex, no matter how simple, that can't be twisted, rationalized, debated, spun, edited, selectively quoted, abbreviated, appended to, misunderstood, or otherwise turned on its head.

Seems there's no message that can survive the death of it's creator untainted.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »

The idea of a message being untainted goes against everything we know about communication.  Things are completely reinterpreted the second they're passed on, let alone years after someone's death.

There's children's games that teach this.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2008, 10:02:10 PM »

:OoO:
Tic-Tac-Toe?

Coincidentally, the *'s contraction isn't quite the one you're looking for.

EDIT:

But when he thinks about it, he's not sure if There are takes that contraction. He is looking it up.

EDIT EDIT:

Fuk me. Ignore stupids plz.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Fuck you too, now I want to play some freakish combination of telephone and tic-tac-toe.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »

Oh, he DESPISES the fundamentalists, but pays them lip service because he believes they're necessary to the party.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »

But I mean... Why then include them in his advice? Why should he believe this?

Is his assessment that the loss was due to low base turnout accurate? Or do you suppose the party lost a lot of their normal base?

Little note of Joy: Republican lawyer acquaintance, known through Roast Beef, actually voted Democratic this cycle because he found McCain's gas sales tax break to be the most profoundly stupid thing he had ever heard.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »

But I mean... Why then include them in his advice? Why should he believe this?

Oh, he DESPISES the fundamentalists, but pays them lip service because he believes they're necessary to the party.

Also: you've used "Democrat" as an adjective twice in six hours.  Stop it.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »

My entire family votes Republican, I was under the impression it was both a noun and an adjective. Fixed now anyway.

Also, no, I actually read your post this time. I'm confused as to WHY he believes they're necessary.

Why should he believe this?

This seems like an ideal time to cast them off as chaff. But he believes that demographic is needed and they need to be somewhat catered to and I don't know why.

This nugget stuck out with me:
Pro-life stance more popular than republi-something something something

Is it possible that he feels the fringe which he so despises represents an uncomfortably potent intersection on some kind of magical "issues that will make people vote for you without regard for anything else" Venn diagram that for every intellectual and idealogical concession he and the party make to that fringe another huge demographic will join them based on just one or two of their concessions to that group?

That didn't really make sense.

Could he believe that the full set of concessions needed to win the fringe contain several subsets of concessions that will hold the vote for a large number of people even if they don't agree with any concessions outside of their requisite subset?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »

Because there aren't enough rich white people to carry the GOP by themselves.  They need to secure the crazy vote as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32