Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37

Author Topic: No, I will not fix your computer.  (Read 61910 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: No, I will not fix your computer.
« Reply #600 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

DS3 tool dude. It emulates your ps3 controller as a 360 controller. You don't have to worry about fiddling around with any drivers.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #601 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

I haven't used DS3 Tool but x360ce is relatively painless.  Extract the files, run the executable, configure once (or not -- it's got presets for loads of controllers), and after that it's just three files you need to copy to the same directory as any executable you want to run.

Not nearly as hands-off as I'd like, but once you've done it the first time it only takes about 30 seconds for each subsequent game.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »

Been having an odd problem with my new screen... or perhaps with Windows 7.

I use a very low brightness setting on the screen, but even at a low level, the screen's still plenty bright. Once in a while, when I boot up, the screen is actually noticeably darker (still clear and not dark or anything, but certainly dimmer), only it's not the backlight sputtering or anything - because the mouse is still fully bright white.

Turning the screen on and off does nothing and it's only an occasional problem. A reboot always fixes it. 

WTF?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 30, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »

The USB hard drive I've had for about two years has suddenly begun randomly disconnecting from my computer.

The LED doesn't stop going but the computer completely stops recognizing it. Sometimes refreshing drive management sees it, sometimes un-and-replugging work. Sometimes neither.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 09, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »

Help! I think my computer died for real this time. The motherboard is the most likely cause. What would be a good replacement for an ASRock G31m-s? I don't know computers all that well, but a board with a comparable physical layout would be ideal, preferably one manufactured by a better company than ASRock.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 09, 2013, 12:52:07 AM »

Well, if you aren't interested in upgrading your cpu, make sure your CPU is compatible. It's a micro-atx, so make sure you get one the same size. Since your old motherboard used DDR2 sticks of ram, you'll probably need to get some DDR3 ram if you get a new motherboard. Good news though, DDR3 ram is ludicrously cheaper than DDR2 ram ever was. You can probably get 4 gigs of ram for about 25 bucks.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:00 AM »

Another false alarm. Apparently what was causing the problem was a component that had slightly fallen out of place.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #607 on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »

That's computers!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 14, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »

I'm trying to find a Firefox plugin that does a few things I need for bookmark management. I haven't been able to find anything because there aren't any unique keywords to use in my google search, so I get walls of hits for things I'm not looking for.

What I'm trying to do is open or organize multiple links (each to a new tab) from a bookmarks subfolder, without opening ALL of those links in new tabs. See, I may spend several hours searching for X or Y and to save myself grief, I'll bookmark them as I find them. Later on I'll want to purchase/read/watch some of what I bookmarked, but not ALL of it at once. I want to pick and choose which bookmarks to open, without having to open my bookmarks menu and going to the sub sub sub folder each time I want to open one link. It's tedious and stupid. The default is to either open one link or all of them - never to select multiples.

Does anybody know an extension that does this? 

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #609 on: May 18, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

Well I'll be -- I left OpenSUSE alone for awhile and just ran updates from a chrooted terminal under Mint for a few weeks, and it DID eventually fix itself.

Sort of.  Now I get errors when I run Firefox.  And Lord knows how long this'll last given that the very first thing it's asking me to do is update my nVidia drivers, which is what started this fucking mess in the first place.

Meanwhile, my HTPC is having its own series of inexplicable problems, with settings disappearing, up to and including a restore point that was there a week ago and isn't there now.  Symptoms suggest a hard drive going south but I've run multiple scans including a full surface scan and there's been no evidence of that.  Could be I picked up some malware somewhere; I haven't been able to find any but then every time Malwarebytes runs it breaks partway through the scan.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #610 on: May 19, 2013, 06:32:04 AM »

MTP (for Nexus 7) is half-working again too; I have read access again but no write access.

Haven't had a chance to check whether SMB is working yet.

Still haven't identified what's wrong with my HTPC.  Booted to a Mint DVD; once again, no errors coming up in a disk scan.  Ran clamscan overnight and it reported 14 infected files, but I stupidly forgot to set it to log (it was late and I was tired) so I don't know what the hell they are and had to run it again.

I'm not sold on the idea that it's some kind of malware outbreak, but every disk scan I've run has come up clean.  Could be some corrupted system files somewhere but I haven't been able to find hard evidence of that, either.  Could be something running at boot time that's messing everything up (and that I have less trouble in Safe Mode backs this supposition up -- but that I still have SOME trouble in Safe Mode doesn't) but I didn't find anything abnormal with HijackThis either.  I've changed AV software and turned off OwnCloud and those haven't had an impact either.  (And turning off my backup software feels like a terrible idea given that I've got config files disappearing on me.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #611 on: May 19, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »

Code: [Select]
/media/win/Windows/System32/drivers/ndproxy.sys: Win.Trojan.Zbot-16275 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/System32/drivers/rdpdr.sys: Win.Trojan.Zbot-16284 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/SysWOW64/deployJava1.dll: Win.Trojan.Agent-346346 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/SysWOW64/taskeng.exe: Win.Trojan.Agent-351251 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/winsxs/amd64_microsoft-windows-rasbase_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_6c066d50910ecf5a/ndproxy.sys: Win.Trojan.Zbot-16275 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/winsxs/amd64_microsoft-windows-terminalservices-rdpdr_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_5f60151d5fa6ce24/rdpdr.sys: Win.Trojan.Zbot-16284 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/winsxs/Backup/amd64_microsoft-windows-rasbase_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_6c066d50910ecf5a_ndproxy.sys_4a9480d5: Win.Trojan.Zbot-16275 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/winsxs/wow64_microsoft-windows-i..etexplorer-optional_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_none_19ba3f8a72d988f3/iexplore.exe: Win.Trojan.Bamital-996 FOUND
/media/win/Windows/winsxs/x86_microsoft-windows-taskscheduler-engine_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_e7b3b71a1d1c8662/taskeng.exe: Win.Trojan.Agent-351251 FOUND

...huh, yeah, that might do it.

So ClamAV found them but doesn't look like it's the best program for removing them, seeing as it doesn't look like it's got an option to clean the files, just to delete them, and I don't think I should just be wiping Explorer and a bunch of other system files.

Trying Kaspersky Rescue Disk now.  Hope it'll clean it up.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 11, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »

Does anyone here have a favorite Linux livecd for data recovery on a Windows machine? I'm sure most any of them will work, but I'm sure one must work better.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #613 on: July 11, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

I didn't have much luck with any of the various boots I tried the last time I needed it.

It might be a good idea to go with something Ubuntu-based just on the strength of package availability.  If you wind up looking for obscure FS tools, Ubuntu's a whole lot likelier to have them available as a quick install than any other distro.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 11, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »

That was my default, since it's the only distro I use with any regularity. This is what I get for still living in the same city as my parents.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #615 on: July 12, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »

I always use Ubuntu for such things, but mostly out of habit and comfort. It's always served my needs though, so I dunno.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 14, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »

I wish there was a wider selection of trackballs to choose from, because the Logitech M570 might be the only decent one on the market, and it's still a piece of garbage that breaks inside of a year. This is the second one that has had major right mouse button problems. They have a nice 3 year warranty which I took advantage of last time, but I'm not sure if they will honor it on this RMA replacement.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #617 on: July 14, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »

Huh.  I've been using the wired version for years and have no complaints.  I guess this explains why the wired one goes for crazy prices used.

And apparently so does the Cordless Optical Trackman now, too.  Guess I better hang onto the things.

Looks like they still make the Trackman Marble.  I've never used it; I take it it's not great?

Kensington's got a couple models now that aren't $100 monsters.  Are those any better?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 14, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »

Hey, it worked! I had very low hopes, given that it's old enough hardware I couldn't boot from USB so I had to go back several Ubuntu versions to find an image that fit on CD.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #619 on: July 14, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »

Ah -- given that restriction I'd have probably suggested good old-fashioned Knoppix, but glad you found one that worked for you anyhow.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37