Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

The absolute most infuriating thing on the road is...

The guy who won't pass anybody in the passing lane.
- 11 (12.1%)
The tailgater.
- 10 (11%)
Speeders.
- 2 (2.2%)
Old people who think the speed limit is half what's posted.
- 8 (8.8%)
Gigantic White Pickup Truck Driver
- 8 (8.8%)
The Geo Metro.
- 1 (1.1%)
9.3 years of construction THAT NEVER GETS WORKED ON.
- 14 (15.4%)
Stop signs.
- 0 (0%)
People who ignore stop signs.
- 8 (8.8%)
THE FUZZ
- 5 (5.5%)
Phone/food/makeup users.
- 13 (14.3%)
Road-ragers.
- 7 (7.7%)
Anybody who passes me.
- 4 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Driving Can Be Frustrating  (Read 31884 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Driving can be frustrating.
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:16 AM »

SPORTS CAR SMASH TINY WHITE LEMON

Something my dad taught me: you can safely assume somebody driving a sports car will not risk a collision with someone who looks like he doesn't have much money.

My dad had a fender bender with a little red sports car that was bitching on her cell phone and drinking her coffee and basically doing everything wrong.

Fun part: My dad loves his truck, a Ford F250. His back bumper was slightly dented. The Little Red Sports Car's front end was completely thrashed.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:20 AM »

From my experience, Texas has banished speed limits. They are merely a conceptual theory in that country.

What? No. We have speed limits. It's just that they're 10 MPH faster than what the signs usually say.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2008, 12:58:07 AM »

My dad had a fender bender with a little red sports car that was bitching on her cell phone and drinking her coffee and basically doing everything wrong.

Fun part: My dad loves his truck, a Ford F250. His back bumper was slightly dented. The Little Red Sports Car's front end was completely thrashed.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.

If you're in a tiny lemon, of course, you'll take as much physical damage as the sports car -- but a whole lot less dollar damage.

Dad generally meant it in terms of things like lane changes.  "Oh, trust me, this guy WILL let me in, because he knows what's going to happen if he doesn't."

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2008, 04:46:06 AM »

Is your dad Chicago Ted?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2008, 04:47:37 AM »

From my experience, Texas has banished speed limits. They are merely a conceptual theory in that country.

What? No. We have speed limits. It's just that they're 10 MPH faster than what the signs usually say.

Yeah, that's just about what we have here in Ontario. :shifty:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2008, 05:57:01 AM »

Speaking of which, an old friend who lives in Texas says the cops enforce speed limits pretty firmly.

Speed limits are a casual suggestion in the larger cities.  It's possible to drag race with cops in the heart of Dallas.  The strict ones are in the small towns, where going more than 1 mile over the speed limit can net you a ticket.  I've also had friends who were pulled over for failing to signal when changing lanes while merging onto the highway, driving in a bath robe, having an inspection sticker one day over due, and uh for doing nothing in a small town.

At one point, got pulled over just south of Tyler for having a busted tail light.  See, this was after my friend had gotten the car in a wreck (literally two days after, in fact), but he'd taken the precaution of putting safety tape over the offending tail light while his insurance hashed out the details.  Cops pulled him over because there was a tiny sliver, smaller than the width of a pencil, of white light shining through the red tape.  They didn't even ticket him for what they pulled him over for, instead giving him a ticket for his month out of date inspection which he couldn't get taken care of because he couldn't replace the broken tail light.

If you read between the lines, there's also a very subtle story about how worthless car insurance is.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »

You know what pisses me right off?  I lose my car, and almost immediately gas prices drop to half.  Watch, now.  I'm getting a temporary replacement at the end of the month.  If there's a sudden spike in December, I'm going to tear out an aorta.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

I'm getting a temporary replacement at the end of the month.

:HUGE: Like HELL you are!

We'll donate you a gyrocopter before we take that chance.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »

...I didn't lose my car by wrapping it around a tree, if that's what you're thinking.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »

Yesterday. Two lanes, plenty of room for passing along either. I'm doin' the speed limit just fine.

The guy next to me decides that he wants to be in my lane so badly that he'll just make his turn, into my right headlight, and assume I can tell how badly he wants in.

No turn signal, of course. I brake promptly. This is en route to work, so of course he effectively murders my mood.

I regret that my sense of self-preservation won out... that light is already damaged!

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »

No turn signal
That's actually a big one for me. Communicating intent saves everyone a lot of frustration and worry on the roadway.

... I wish I had a "Douchebag!" signal that I could deploy late at night even in this horrendously cold weather.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2008, 11:52:14 PM »

Since the days are getting shorter, one of my big driving pet peeves are people with either their brights on or who just have lights that are too damn bright to begin with. I hate it when a huge truck gets right behind my small car and its headlights are aimed right at me, and reflecting off of all my mirrors. And whenever I go through the backroads, it seems like hardly anybody turns their brights off when they pass me. I very nearly drove off the road last week because it made a sudden left turn but I was blinded by the car passing me.

I've been getting a lot of this on the freeway lately: The right lane is going about 55-60 when the speed limit is 65 (which is fine, I know some people who do that to save gas), but some douche in the passing lane is going about 60-65 and holding everybody up who needs to, y'know, pass. It's not an uncommon problem, but it's been happening a lot to me lately, and I wish I could launch a rock with a note attached to it to the guy ahead of me to suggest that he just merge to the right lane.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2008, 12:14:31 AM »

... people with either their brights on ...

This word is always jarring to me; I never heard anyone call them this 'til I went to college. I always just called them high beams. Is it a colloquial thing, or did I just miss a day in school or something?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »

I think it's another southern habit.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2008, 12:22:36 AM »

His version or mine? Because I'm from northern California and everybody I know calls them "brights".

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2008, 02:59:42 AM »

His version or mine? Because I'm from Southern Arizona and everybody I know calls them "brights".

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2008, 03:11:39 AM »

I've always called them 'brights' too.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »

I thought it was just a euphemism for stiff nipples.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2008, 08:23:13 AM »

I hate those slightly blue superbright headlights.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »

I hate those slightly blue superbright headlights.

Oh fuck tell me about it. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16