Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: Cataclysm Ultra-thread  (Read 52217 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm Ultra-thread
« Reply #720 on: February 18, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

So from a almost pure pvper's perspective, Cata was the best WoW has ever offered. Don't believe me because you can't 1v1 every class in the game and the one time you tried to arena with hunter/hunter/hunter you didn't get past 1200?

I'm not saying Cata pvp is perfect. Far from it. Cata pvp had/has problems. But let's compare it to the other expaks:

Vanilla: hahaha, I'm not even going

BC: s1-2 had broken warlocks whose damage was unaffected by resilience as well as overpowered CC, Paladins, and a lot of other problems. Gear was obtainable without rating restriction. s3-4 were probably the second best WoW has ever offered as most of the initial problems were solved. Druids completely dominated the healing landscape with 40 yard range cyclones, infinite mana, lifebloom, etc. Gear was obtainable without rating restriction except for shoulders and weapon.

Wrath: s5 had the debut of incredibly overpowered DKs, incredibly overpowered Rethealers/Prothealers, and the even more mind boggling overpowered survival hunters. Gear was obtainable through a complicated rating system that applied to every single piece of gear. s5 was the worst season in arena history. Vanilla was arguably worse, but only arguably. s6 and on was just OH MY GOD BURST. Wrath's pvp sucked dick.

Cata: Initially ferals dominated with insane dot dps, insane uptime, no ability to be controlled (can't root, can't slow, can't fear, can't polymorph) but after some nerfs were brought under control. Warriors then became the problem with Swifty Macros that could one shot entire opposing BG teams. Shamans still had complete immunity to fear due to tremor totem and dominated the healing landscape. Gear is obtainable without restriction, except for weapons, which are both on a timer and have high rating t2 versions. (This is the best gear treadmill ever seen in pvp, and I hope they stick to this model.) The current state of the game has overpowered Warlock/Shaman synergy, and the most glaring problems of Shadow Priests with their burst trinket and Rogues with Vial. Resto druids are laughable and any team that uses a warrior could probably be improved by swapping in a rogue with vial. All in all, more team comps are viable then any other point in arena history, and rated bgs give an alternative way to gear up as well as allowing some less viable arena specs to shine (hunters, boomkins, ele shamans are all amazing in bgs. They can all be viable in arena as well, but you need a lot of skill in comparison to, say, anything that melees).

tl;dr: I'm currently farming for Vial so I too can be completely ridiculous

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 18, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »

I had trouble getting into Cata PVP for the same reason I had trouble getting into Wrath PVP; rating requirements on gear made it way too fucking hard to accomplish anything without PVPing hard since the start of the arena season. It wasn't as bad in Cata as it was in Wrath, but the model they used for distribution of conquest coupled with rating requirements on the gear you needed to be competitive in the ratings that gear required didn't really help make Arena more accessible. PVP is basically the main route of play for the hardcore player these days, and outside of unrated battlegrounds pvp feels strictly off-limits for casuals.

Rated battlegrounds has it's own problems, namely that you have to be in a fucking pvp guild to actually do it.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »

I had trouble getting into Cata PVP for the same reason I had trouble getting into Wrath PVP; rating requirements on gear made it way too fucking hard to accomplish anything without PVPing hard since the start of the arena season.

There are no rating requirements on gear in Cata outside of t2 weapon and palette swap 2200.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »

FURTHERMORE, as of 4.3, you get conquest every time you win a NRBG.  They really have settled on a system that ought to work for everybody; even the people who insist on better gear for a higher rating get rewarded since the difference between tiers of weapons are pretty substantial.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 18, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »

My gripe is mostly with the conquest cap locking you out of getting your resilience up without weeks of incredibly painful losses. Of course, now I can just switch my valor to conquest, but I don't care anymore. Where was this feature at launch, Blizzard? Shit, I had so much valor in T11 that I was buying boots for every new guy and alt in my guild.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 18, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »

My problem with the arena system is, and always has been, that it is a system that encourages you not to play.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »

It encourages you not to lose.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 19, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »

The risk of losing after getting your requisite games discourages further matches.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:06 AM »

So there is a new Scroll of Resurrection thing where if you played before but were not subscribed as of two days ago, an enterprising current player (hello) can shoot you an e-mail invite that will give you a free upgrade to Cataclysm alongside shooting one of your characters straight up to level 80 with a free server and faction transfer.

So you know, if anyone wants in on some SWEET SWEET GOLD KNUCKLES ACTION, let me know.*

*the fact that i get a ghost lion is irrelevant how dare you
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »

JOKES ON YOU, I ALREADY SIGNED UP FOR A WHOLE YEAR! I mean, who wants a free 80/transfer/upgrade/etc anyway

:bam:

[spoiler]actually I do have a second account that I could use this on. hmm.[/spoiler]

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 07, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »

First the full year deal now this? Did everyone at Blizzard get a bad drug habit they need to feed?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 07, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

They lost about 1.2-1.5 million subscribers over 12 months.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 03, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »

I am now Professor Lynnych
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37]