Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: I Hate WoW!  (Read 25837 times)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate WoW!
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »

You guys are still comparing WoW to a drug rather than another hobby.

"I can't hang out tonight because I'm raiding and planned this ahead of time" is also = to "I can't hang out tonight because I have a dungeons and dragons game" "I can't hang out tonight because I have a cat show to go to" "I can't hang out because the stanley cup playoffs are on" etc - you are prioritizing your hobby over what your friends are interested in doing.

Comparing WoW to drugs would be inferring that "I can't hang out tonight because I'm raiding and planned this head of time" is the same as "I can't hang out tonight because I intend to get shitface drunk and high as shit on black tar heroin."  - if you think these two things are the same, you need serious mental help.

I want to note that if any of you guys were my real-life friends and did this shit to me, our friendships wouldn't last long - showing up out of the blue and expecting me to drop everything I'm doing to hang out with you, and resenting me when the revelation hits you that you're not the center of my universe, reeks of self-important bullshit and it's not an endearing quality I look for in a friend.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

Because, even if Brent is bad company (having never hung out with Brent, I can't say), those people are still retarded for using such a lame excuse as "I have to play a video game".

I was going to say that before I realized you did.  Phone browsing makes you miss things.

Not entirely sure if the "WoW is an excuse to lie to people about how you feel about them" is supposed to change my opinion of the product or just troll me, but whatever.  Moving on.

you guys are making the argument that since gambling and alcohol ruins lives they should be hated

I... think you might've lightened up your stance on alcohol in the past few years, otherwise I'm going to have to assume that you're agreeing with the sentiment.

I guess I should clarify that my "WoW player = fuck off" stance, while obviously exaggerated to begin with, really only applies to making new friends rather than keeping old ones.  I've never, uh, "dumped" a friend for getting to deeply an MMO, or any sort of bad behavior.  But I do tend to avoid MAKING friends if it seems like that's what they do, cause at that point I suddenly find them just that much less interesting.  Personal bias, obviously.

RE: Not being familiar with new WoW: Classic was right (somehow) in that yeah I'm prooooobably not going to know very much about what a game I find calamitous looks like after almost three expansions.  All I know is gleaned from people's behaviors towards it, which from my vantage point seem to be, yes, noticeably less obsessive but still rather frightening sometimes.  Maybe I do need new friends, but still, I wouldn't say the game's "fixed" its problem of being... well, a problem for many people.  And if it's just encouraging people to pretend that they have an unhealthy obsession with it... well that's kind of unhealthy too, honestly.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »

Having a friend really into WoW is like having a friend really into alcohol: you're probably not going to see them much unless you do it as well.

The only difference is that people's alcohol stories are infinitely more entertaining than people's WoW stories, even if you don't drink.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »

I think that is the smartest post in this thread.

Honestly I wonder how different things would be if everything in WoW wasn't so incomprehensible to everyone outside of it.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »

But it's the same thing with any hobby that requires regular time investment. This is why you should be friends with people who share the same interests. If a person's focal interest is MMOs and you think they're stupid, maybe you shouldn't be friends with them?

Seriously, guys, would any of you have the same opinion if this thread was about team fortress or videogaming in general?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »

A little bit, yeah.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

Or playing on a company softball team, or... oh, wait, nerds.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »

But it's the same thing with any hobby that requires regular time investment.

That is precisely why most hobbies that require regular time investments are called "careers".

(ps softball season ends suckers)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

i don't mean to derail the conversation but engaging in any kind of corporate sponsored or approved hobby tends to be a mistake. You'd be surprised at how fast HR can get involved when competition of any kind is present.

But it's the same thing with any hobby that requires regular time investment.

That is precisely why most hobbies that require regular time investments are called "careers".

Dungeons and Dragons, Racing, Bands, Sports teams (both playing and watching), Miniature Wargaming, Breeding and Showing pets, Chess, Golf, Bowling, and card games are generally done by schedule or appointment and tend to be done weekly or more often than that. They also require substantial time investments.

If one of us had a 40 hour a week raid schedule I'd be with you, but a maximum of 15 hours a week if you're in a hardcore srs bsness guild isn't exactly what I'd call excessive or even remotely joblike.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »

If your hobby only requires 3 hours a week, you're not who we're talking about.

If your hobby requires 15 hours a week and no other sacrifices, you fucked up somewhere.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »

15 hours a week amounts to a fifth (less, actually) of your free time outside of work and sleep, so i still really wouldn't call that excessive.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »

7 hours sleep, average 10 hour work day with commute and assuming unpaid lunch

you are either throwing away your Saturday or half your weekday evenings

think long and hard about what you could do with 15 more hours. if wow is the best answer you can come up with, you're an addict.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »

Then get new friends....?

The reason why psychological addictions are destructive is that they drown out the potential for new stimuli.  A consistent trend you'll see when interviewing drug users is "losing time".

Um, hey, sort of off-topic question. What do you do if you get this but you don't have a drug addiction?

Hraedon

• The one and only
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2010, 08:52:11 PM »

7 hours sleep, average 10 hour work day with commute and assuming unpaid lunch

you are either throwing away your Saturday or half your weekday evenings

think long and hard about what you could do with 15 more hours. if wow is the best answer you can come up with, you're an addict.
Wow. Since you're clearly the king of objective benchmarks, what is the acceptable number of drinks before you hit the alcoholic threshold? How many miles do I have to ride on my motorcycle before that constitutes an addiction?

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »

Whatever number of drinks it takes before it starts affecting other aspects of your life?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

You guys are still comparing WoW to a drug rather than another hobby.

"I can't hang out tonight because I'm raiding and planned this ahead of time" is also = to "I can't hang out tonight because I have a dungeons and dragons game" "I can't hang out tonight because I have a cat show to go to" "I can't hang out because the stanley cup playoffs are on" etc - you are prioritizing your hobby over what your friends are interested in doing.

Comparing WoW to drugs would be inferring that "I can't hang out tonight because I'm raiding and planned this head of time" is the same as "I can't hang out tonight because I intend to get shitface drunk and high as shit on black tar heroin."  - if you think these two things are the same, you need serious mental help.

I want to note that if any of you guys were my real-life friends and did this shit to me, our friendships wouldn't last long - showing up out of the blue and expecting me to drop everything I'm doing to hang out with you, and resenting me when the revelation hits you that you're not the center of my universe, reeks of self-important bullshit and it's not an endearing quality I look for in a friend.

ITT shinra makes the best and most salient point

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

It could be that there's no appreciable output of the activity. I mean, with something like practicing guitar or painting miniatures, you have a definite benefit. Something like D&D or watching a game on TV involves, or can involve, real-world social interaction.

WoW is you sitting at your computer, maybe with a headset mike.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »

So you are arguing that internet friends are not real friends

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:43 PM »

Wait, so are we arguing that spending our time playing videogames is a bad thing now? I thought these boards were mostly about videogames.

But I guess there's no time to waste on such trivial things, nope, we must all just spend our free time learning useful things like "how to play guitar" and "painting" so that we may improve our society.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

That is not an uncommon argument.  See:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12