Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Plots to Make Fun Of: Seven of 'Em! -- Let's Play Saga Frontier!  (Read 36064 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Plots to Make Fun Of: Seven of 'Em! -- Let's Play Saga Frontier!
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »

Lemme know how that works out!

...oh. k.

Fuse: We've got no choice but to find the pirates and make them confess.
Red: Fuse! What's that?

Oh, that thing?

Assa no good.

pew!

Well, I guess we never have to worry about Nomad again.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 31, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »

As BJ&K runs a quick diagnostic on Red, he finds that he's actually a costumed superhero.

Red: Now don't ever leave my side again.
BJ&K: I don't fully understand your order. But I'd hate to be disassembled. I'll follow orders.

BJ&K joins permanently. Red can transform into Alkaiser around mecs without any problems, as he has them sworn to secrecy on pain of... pain.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 31, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »

Another Punk: What is it, a bird nest?
Yet Another: Naw, it must be a cactus!

Girl Punk: Hey, cactus head! Wanna play with us?
First Punk: Hey, she's talkin' to you. Say something!
Another Punk again: He's gonna piss his pants if you keep talkin' to him like that.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

Sadly, there's nothing to do but go back the way you came.

Bunch of kids sitting around, getting high, snickering at dumb that's only funny when you're high, pontificating on like, why man, probably eating bags of Oreos and Cheez-Its by the fistful and turning into hulking monstrosities.

Wait, what was that last one?

It takes a beatdown to get the guy back to normal, of course.

Another Punk: We just bought this new drug and then we were...
Red: Who sold you the drug?

Girl Punk: That guy!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 31, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »

You have to chase the guy through the Koorong sewers.

At one point he drops his hat and staff. You chase him into the port, and...

Debbie Downer Noise

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 31, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »

You will notice that despite having more content already than two or three other quests combined, Red's quest still hasn't opened up and given me any freedom to explore. Were all the quests designed to be this big? SaGa Frontier certainly had ambition.

In the Syoin, we find this robit.

Mec: They came here to find peace of mind. They just want to reach their inner selves.
Red: Pretty philosophical for a mec.

God, everyone in the world is so mec-racist. Check your privilege, people.

Mec: An ancient philosopher once said a stone has its own mind. Likewise I say a Robot has its own mind, dreams and fears. The sad thing is the more I began to grasp my own mind, the more I realize how empty it is inside.
Red: You're making me sleepy. I'm outta here.

Red: How did you know that?
Mec: I may not see my own mind clearly, but I can read others' like a book!

That's a problem for someone with a secret identity, I think.

Mec: There are 4 emperors that rule BlackX. Fools who are controlled by the lust for power.
Red: Four emperors... tell me more about them!

ring ring motherfucker

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 31, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »

Next mission is in Shingrow. You know where this is going, right?

BJ&K can watch you transform into Alkaiser but still doesn't put it together that it's the same person standing in front of him right now.

Forethought: not Red's strong suit.

Heh.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »

This is the same as in Emelia's scenario.

Except Alkaiser has better stats and HP.

This is the guy I mentioned I didn't make it to last time.

And this is his habit of avoiding every contact attack.

And this is his counter to every contact attack.

And this is me beating him with Al-Blaster, which shoots tiny energy balls but doesn't make physical contact, thus avoiding the automatic SwayBack evasion.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 31, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

Guess I'd better chase this guy

through all the exact same stuff

that I went through before

as Emelia.

Goblin: He's not here anymore. What are you, a patrolman?
Alkaiser: None of your damn business. Get out of my way.
Goblin: Okay, fine. The doctor told me to kill anyone who comes by.

Fight with a Goblin. It is worth noting that while Gradius had no particular problems, the fight's even easier with Alkaiser alone.

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, jobnana phone

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »

Hawk: What's wrong?
Red: I'm getting off the Cygnus.
Hawk: You've got to go?
Red: Thanks for everything.
Hawk: Did you talk to Yuria?
Red: No, I'm no good at goodbyes.
Hawk: Well, I guess we'll meet again. Good luck.

You're dropped off at the Cygnus' next destination, which is Yorkland, which is useless so Red just turns around and takes another ship to Koorong so he can get important places.

Like Manhattan, where he can recruit Fuse without going through that Shield Card nonsense first.

And Kyo, where he can recruit Rabbit.

And Shrike, where he can recruit Cotton.

There's even a bit of banter if you have other IRPO agents in the party when you recruit him. All he says is "myu myu" and "kyu kyu" but Fuse can understand him. Apparently Fuse is a master Pokemon trainer.

And Shingrow, where he can recruit... this girl. Who is named Doll, and is totally not using the looking-for-her-brother thing as a cover story to do an investigation.

So we have Red and... well, most of IRPO. I forgot to go get Silence out of Omble. So what the heck, Red will have the entire Inter-Regional Patrol Organization at his back when he goes to fight BlackX! Since IRPO has five members (likely to fill out Fuse's party for that scrapped scenario I keep mentioning), someone will have to sit on the sidelines. The four members who get the most votes will stay in the main party, the last will languish in obscurity. Voting is open!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 31, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »

Red is the scenario protagonist, so he's not going anywhere, but I haven't talked about him much so here we go. He's one of the more versatile humans in the game, decent with swords and martial arts. But since he has talent for three of the four DSC moves, I'm training him as a martial artist. His gunmagic skill is 3.

Transforming into Alkaiser, as I said before, means he doesn't level up after the fight is over, but gets a substantial boost to his HP and stats and can learn his unique moves. He can't change if any human, mystic, or monster can see him do it -- if they're in the party, they have to be blind, asleep, or unconscious.

Fuse is easily recruitable in other scenarios, since he joins whoever completes the quest for the Shield Card (even Emelia, I think, even though he hates her). He's the perverted, hot-blooded jackass leader of the IRPO division that keeps coming up in-game, nicknamed "Crazy Fuse". He's a solid character, learning only a few fewer sword techniques than Gen and only a couple fewer martial arts techniques than Liza -- but only two DSC techs. His gunmagic skill is 2, and his stats are geared towards strength, will, and vitality. He's a swordsman, no doubt about it.

Yes, Fuse was supposed to be one of the scenario protagonists. He may have been dropped because they already have a scenario guy who doesn't break the "rules" somehow in Lute. Blue can learn opposing magic schools, Asellus can switch her species, Emelia can trade talent trees, Red can transform into a sentai superhero, T260 is a robit and Riki is a monster. I guess they didn't need two plain ol' regular humans, and Fuse's quest had more content planned so they axed it to save time and money.

Rabbit is a type 2 mec. He's good against other mecs, especially if they have missile launchers he can jam with his ECM system.

Cotton is a monster. I really don't need to describe monsters again, do I?

Doll is the voice of reason for the freakshow that is the rest of IRPO, since she's actually got a little common sense in her mostly-shaven head. Her cool demeanor has earned her the nickname "Icy Doll". She's not very good with swords or fists, learning very basic techniques almost exclusively, but her gunmagic skill is 6. Her stat growth is geared toward intelligence and charm, making her an ideal gunner/caster.

Silence is a mystic, so he has the usual talent for casting and soul-sucking you'd expect. His outfit that sprouts moth wings when he casts a spell earned him the name "Narcissistic Cosplay Jerk" from Fuse.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 31, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »

I played Red's campaign first when I originally dicked around with SaGa Frontier, and remember enjoying it. Now I know why I have relatively positive memories of the SaGa Frontier, aka SaGa Live-A-Live.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 31, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »

I'll be honest, at first I didn't realize Rouge and Red were different people and I thought this scenario was gonna be the exact same as Blue's but with a different main character. "Wait, he's got superhero powers? Why didn't he use them in the mage duel?" I... don't think I can be blamed for expecting more cut-and-paste from this game though.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 31, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »

Considering about half of each scenario eventually works out to "do the quests for light/shadow/rune/arcane magic", you're not wrong. So much filler in the rune and arcane quests.

I mean you always have to grind anyway so you might as well get some magic out of it but damn

You get sick of seeing Tanzer's guts is all I'm sayin'.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 01, 2013, 07:20:51 AM »

It just occurred to me that François, as a bilingual French Canadian, would naturally confuse Rouge and Red. Heh heh.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »

Yes, that's quite... yes. :whoops:

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »

I got confused too, mostlybecause blue's counterpart is rouge and not red.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »

Gotta go pick up that other dude and I guess pick up the Shadow gift while I'm at it. I'm grateful you guys have learned to hate monsters as much as I have! I'm sure Cotton has a wonderful personality and everything but :getout:

Doll starts with Shadow and Mystic magic but lacks the gift for both of them. Being a human, lacking the Mystic gift is a given, but still.

I was in Omble for a while before I realized how much of my party was mecs and monsters, leaving Red, Fuse, and Doll to fight alone.

Mission accomplished, anyway.

Even though you get Silence by traveling through Omble, he doesn't get the gift for Shadow magic when you do. So I send him by himself into the Luminous Labyrinth to get the gift for Light magic.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »

That's Silence there on the left, waving his arms in the air like he just doesn't care. See the wings that sprout out of his back? Needlessly flashy!

I never used HideBehind up until now because why would I do that, so it took this long for me to realize that casting that spell makes a translucent illusion of the caster, who kicks the target in the ass and runs away. Okay, so it's more useful as a practical joke than a spell, but still, heh heh.

I nabbed EngineerCar almost solely to do the Grail card quest with three mecs instead of five status-prone people with metabolisms. When Doll gets KOed out of her drunken stupor, AlkaiserChange opens up for Red because everyone else in the party is a mec.

Part of the card quest is heading up the mountain in Mosperiburg, where I try (and fail!) to get SuzakuJr again. I got a SplashSword in the Bio Research Lab somewhere, and that sword allows the use of the skill ElementDissolve. ElementDissolve is a lot like the space magic Vanish, removing a monster from the battle (but disallowing downloads/devouring, monetary or item rewards, etc.). I knew Jotnar was vulnerable to instant-death magic, so I intentionally sought him out, but ElementDissolve doesn't seem to work.

Red can't recruit Dr. Nusakan, either. Guess I'll just do an LP without the little phoenix guy!

When I went to recruit Gen for the Saber card quest, I realized Fuse was missing.

I found him back in Manhattan, with all the skills and equipment he had when he left. But it took me a while to realize when that was! When you fail the fight against Suzaku to claim the Shield card, Fuse leaves the party. Since succeeding in that mission is generally when he permanently joins, it's not an issue for six out of seven protagonists. Only Red can recruit Fuse before that subquest, so there's no reason for him to leave Red when Red fails it, but he does anyway.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2013, 05:37:24 AM »

I have read that if you start the card quest after Fuse joins you, he just gives you the card when you show up to IRPO without demanding you help him "on patrol", where "on patrol" means "getting a flower to give to the receptionist when he asks her for a date."

But doing it this way means I get another shot at Jotnar.

One last time, with Red having picked up GiantSwing by chance while I was grinding.

DSC doesn't count as making physical contact, even though it's a series of grabs and throws. It doesn't trigger Jotnar's IceBarrier for automatic damage.

FINALLY

He's frozen solid if you come here without spawning or killing Jotnar first.

Wow, look at those stats! It's a form unique to SuzakuJr, different from the SuzakuJr forms other monsters get by absorbing FireBarrier. It's a shame he loses it immediately whenever you absorb something and are forced to transform, only ever regaining the regular SuzakuJr form if he shifts back! SuzakuJr is the best monster, but he's still a monster.

(In the manga, Fuse deputized SuzakuJr into IRPO for whatever reason.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19