Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: The Iythian Reaches: Humble Beginnings (Intro)  (Read 16732 times)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Iythian Reaches: Humble Beginnings
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »

"Not me!" said Bertram immediately when the subject of steering the ramshackle vessel was broached. Before boarding he had made sure to dress himself for battle, donning a horned helmet that was obviously not intended to be worn by a minotaur. Holes had been torn in the side when he first forced it on, and between the height of the helmet's horns and the width of his natural ones, he was finding it hard to move at all without smashing into one of the cramped bulkheads. "I think I'll just sit nice and still until we get there, what?"
...but is it art?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »

If nobody else steps forward, then Qorina will take the helm, woefully unprepared though she might be for such a task. She has been drumming her fingers on the deck railing and failing to conceal her grin for the last hour, and the opportunity to lightly graze space debris is dangerously appealing.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »

Karvan grins and motions to allow someone else to steer the ship, muttering in his overloud manner, "I prefer to gamble only with my life, but I don't mind someone else gambling with it either. It'll be a blast... well, I hope not." He lets out a loud bellowing chuckle at his own horrible joke then pats Ilex and Qorina on the shoulder before saying, "Where has tiny shiny got himself off too, hope he's not stuck in a vent...."

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

(Sorry, I might be light on posting this weekend because it's shittily busy at my job.)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »

(I'm gonna be working steadily for the next 7 days, but we have more than enough people to keep a steady pace going with me posting once or twice a day if possible. Folks just gotta post and check the thread is all.)

After much burning, Rosco triumphantly returns to the deck carrying a massive silver platter and with it an extremely charred basilisk covered in one of the noxious mystery sauces. He sets it down upon a large table bolted down to the deck and bellows 'Here's your eats!" Drooling a little, Rosco reaches for one of the giant lizard-monster's six legs, relishing the upcoming deliciousness...

A small but intense explosion rocks the interior of the Bag of Hot Air, swiftly bringing it's forward momentum to a dead halt. Only two of the zeppelin air pumps appear to be operating, providing just enough cover to keep you all breathing, but you've come to a rather troubling stop.

The culprit does not appear to be space meteors and a cursory examination of below-decks reveals that the engine room is wrecked. After taking a look below-decks, Rosco bellows in fury that can only be sated by ripping a 'Lisk leg off and sinking his teeth into it, scrunching up his eyebrows in furious contemplation. "Well.. that's no good." Chomp, mumble, chew, grumble.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »

"This is a marvelous vessel," Morgiana remarks as she pockets her share of the money. "It's as if it's being held together by pure will alone! That must be why he has so much liquid capital to spare. I daresay it could use a touch of class here and there, but it certainly has more character than any caravel I've ridden upon."

[after Rosco returns with the food and the mysterious boom]

"Goodness, are we being fired upon?" Morgiana slices herself a portion of basilisk and sets it on a battered metal plate. "It couldn't be pirates. They would surely announce their intentions first. I believe they even have rules for it."

Maxmaps

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »

Ragjen bowed his head as he recieved his bag of coins, sitting down to enjoy a few carefully carved, incredibly thin slices of meat. "Good food, transport and we even made money. Things always work out." The dragonborn said with a small smile as he offered Muscles a slice of meat, the ship immediately rocked by the explosion. "Or sometimes they don't." He said, snickering to himself as he turned around to look at Morgiana. "Kinda do hope it's pirates cause those would be waaaay easier to fight off than, well, thousands of gold worth of repairs and maintenance skipped"

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »

Ilex finally manages to find something resembling a chair and proceeds to slump down in it, ready to pass out for the next few hours. She instead ends up on the floor next to the chair, shaken by the explosion, and proceeds to let out a scream.

"I'll rip apart whatever just shot at us with my bare hands, and I don't care if I have to jump through space to do it. Find what just shot us, we've got a tin can to tear open!"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »

"Ain't no attack yet!" Rosco reassures you all. "In fact, whatever happened was entirely on the inside... localized... internal... and all that. Armor on this ol' girl ain't that bad even if we were getting shot at." He thoughtfully swallows the half a pound of basilisk in his mouth before continuing. "Nah, just looks like a freak bit of machine failure. If I was riding alone, I'd be having my last meal." He grins! "But I hired the best damn bunch of adventurers around, right? I've got a plan for repairs." He rips another 'lisk leg off and heads for the below-decks. "Eat up and get ready, I'll be ready to start maintenance in a few minutes. We gotta hurry... we ain't under attack, but I bet a vessel that don't move looks awful tempting."

In the meantime, you can feel free to examine the engine room, eat up, or simply get ready for action. Fools-Errant is on the job!

(Gonna do a big ass post when I get home from work after 10.)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »

"True enough!" Qorina peels one of the remaining legs off the beast. She makes her way to something resembling the starboard rail and leans on it, stargazing as she chews.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

Morgiana tucks into the basilisk meat. The meat is a little too gamy, but the piquant sauce masks most of the flavour. She finishes her meal and dabs at her lips with her napkin. "Well, that was filling. Spit-spot, clip-clop, now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. And what is a flying vessel but its own nation?"

"Captain Rosco!" she calls down as she navigates towards below-deck, holding her skirts so they don't drag in any oil or other fluids. "Sir, I'm afraid I'm not much of a mechanic or drudge, however if there is a mechanism aboard of an occult nature that needs adjustment, I can give it my best tending-to."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 08:03:49 PM »

(For now, you're not limited by the move limits of combat rounds. So don't worry too much about reprinting the map with your proper position as you move.)

Ragjen, Morgiana and Qorina gain +1 Fortitude Defense for the rest of the day. They are also good guests for eating the offered meal!

Rosco immediately shoos Morgiana back upstairs to the deck as he rushes upstairs carrying a giant metal box under each arm. He hastily throws the remains of the basilisk feast to the side and slams both boxes down. Muscles begins tearing into the left-overs with hearty zeal(after indulgently cooing at Ragjen and eating his offering.) Rosco opens the first box: a giant ratchet set of tools for his modular giant wrench, including dozens of saw-blades and precision cutting cases. He opens the other box and reveals what appears to be bits of arcane smashed into bits of metal smashed into strands of electronium. The top of the disastrous device is a small panel made of a pitch black metal that seems to absorb all light... the obsidian black panel has 12x12 rows of buttons, each labeled by a single runic sigil. Three of the symbols have dabs of paint on them. Roso strikes the three and begins unfurling and stretching out parts of the device, eventually producing a stand, several dongles and jangles and jacob's ladder's like rods that generate electricity. He sets the thing upon the deck and aims away from the ship, up into space... a 45 degree angle at the side of the ship.

Rosco bellows in triumph. "ALRIGHT NOW! I'm gonna use my amazing invention to tear a rift into the one plane I can reliably reach... the clockwork majesty of MECHANUS! Your job's real simple... find something that's steel or iron or thereabouts, not soft or volatileor nothing. Simple BUILDING metal. I'll hash out the replacement parts and get the engine working. But you oughta overdo it. Bring back about a hundred pounds of metal."

Rosco adjusts some fine dials, which make the arcing rods adjust and their electrical bolts fire more frequently until stable. He adjusts another dial, gradually changing their colors from sky blue to a fine rusty gray-brown. "Now, this isn't an exact science, which is what makes it so exciting... and dangerous. I can guarantee you a few minutes of a stable rift but after that you need to get back IMMEDIATELY. Don't dilly-dally. If the rift closes on you, I can't promise you'll find your way back in this lifetime. But that's why you're the best, ain'tcha? In fact, the entire plane is made of metal, so really.. get in, get out, we're on our way." Rosco grins ear to ear. "Now normally I'd follow you in but somebody has to be on this side and all. And uh, that place might be full of angry natural denizens and the like. None of you look like a mechanic so you'd be pretty stranded if I died and all. But I really envy you, I do... it's an entire plane of machines! Well, good luck!"

With manic glee, Rosco fires! The Rift Device seems to .. scratch... the surface of the space about 15 feet off the ship. The scratch begins to wiggle, wriggle and grow until it is doubling in size at an alarming rate. It seems to normalize with a 20 foot spread, erecting a rip in space-time that seems as viable as leaping through an open window. What you can see through it is as Rosco said: machines and metal everywhere. There is a stable plateau of solid ground to leap to and the leap is effortlessly safe to make.

Mechanus, The Clockwork

You step out onto what appears to be a massive awning that is part of a giant, strange metallic construction hanging from a branch that you can see above you going off into the distance.. it is miles long. The branch seems to be one of hundreds, as in every direction you can look there are similar massive branches. They seem to belong to a tower that stretches higher into the sky than you can see before it finishes and descends just as far, vanishing into the clouds of what you assume are millions of smog-producing machines working in tandem. The sound of machinery is actually rather low-key and tolerable as a very distant background noise. Everything around you currently is either quiet or sounds like perfect clockwork, in absolute sync.

Ahead of you appear to be a few paths leading into the main alcove chamber that connects to the bridge(so you are standing on an unknown extension from this main chamber), which seems to be a very neatly wrapped dome on the bottom edge of the branch. There are two devices of note here. One appears to be an empty cylinder(like say the outline frame of a circular elevator shaft) and the other seems to be a simple six-foot tall rod made of brass and silver with minor iron framing. At the top of it is a large, brilliantly polished ruby. It shimmers with unknown purpose and destiny and bears a single strange sigil.. inside it? Written in flame.

There seem to be dozens of strands of tiny clockwork gears dangling everywhere, as though gorgeous little chains of brass, silver and golden strands. If you look closely enough, they are actually rotating in perfect sync with the soft sound of clockwork you hear and they somehow seem to rotate with enough inertia to be perfectly stable. Not that there seems to be any wind.

Hive Balcony, Alcove #127

^^^     ^^^        ^^^
~.....~   ~........~    ~...............~
~....~   ~........~    ~........~
~....~     ~...~         ~..~
~..~       ~..~          ~......~
~..~~~~~~~~~..~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~........~
~..........................     .....~
~.....       ............~  {} ~...~
~....~ (-*-) ~............     .........~
~.............................~~~~~~~~~
~...........................~
~.....................~
~........JIBK.....~
~.....RMQS.......~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

R/M/Q/S/J/I/B/K  - PCs!
~ Slopes
^ Map Advances This Way
-*- Strange Device
{} Metallic Shaft

_ [] Bag of Hot Air

Status

R  74/74
M  63/63
Q  98/98
S  66/66
J  83/83
I  83/83
B  104/104
K  87/87

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »

"I suppose it'd be too much to hope that we could just pry up some of the flooring here and carry it back...? No? Okay, then." Qorina threads through the group to the east, drawing her sword, and glances over the eastern edge. Assuming she doesn't spot any clockwork spiders dangling below the precipice or metal girders stowed just within arm's reach, she'll move up the cylinder base to check it out, keeping as far from the sigiled ruby as is feasible.
Signature:

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »

"Dibs on that ruby!" Jimmy approaches the ruby semi cautiously.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 12:04:10 AM »

Karvan moves forwards cautiously, looking around. He watches as Jimmy moves in and follows Qorina, "Clockwork creatures are not really my thing, I like the enemies I fight to bleed when I bite." He rolls his shoulders a bit as he readies his shield and large black flail... "Just in case, you know?"

Maxmaps

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »

Moving behind Jimmy, his eyes widened at the ruby "Dibs o-" He stopped, hearing Jimmy finish the phrase first. "Man... it even has a rune on it and everything" He said, sounding slightly disappointed as he prepared to draw healing runes, assuming that something horrible could be about to happen.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »

Approaching the ruby doesn't seem to set off the myriad death traps around it, but the sigil does become a bit brighter as any single person gets near it. You feel a subtle temptation to touch the ruby, but maybe it wasn't a thought that originated in your own mind...

Further ahead, you can see what appear to be large machines that might function as factory lines, presumably being fed materials from somewhere because they are in operation.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »

The enchantress marvels at the pure mechanical perfection of the plane for a moment. "How extraordinary! The gears move to a rhythm inside a larger rhythm unto eternity! We must tread lightly, for this may be the underworks of the universe and a single cog out of place could-- eek!"

Morgiana waves her hands. "Ragjen, Jimmy, get away from there! You know better than to snatch up every rune-blazing ruby we come across! For all you know, it could be a lich's phylactery, or trap your soul inside or something. We need to gather as much metal as we can, and you two are burly enough to carry plenty. Come on now, tout suite."

She eases her way down the awning towards the machines after Karvan and Qorina.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Jimmy: "This rod is totally metal! I can grab it, and the ruby will just come along, accidental-like!" Jimmy attempts to pull the metal rod out of the ground. (strength check 16)

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »

Ilex makes a move towards the empty cylinder, curious as to its purpose, shouting back at the others as she makes her way. "Keep in mind we don't have a lot of time here! I don't care if you want to loot some ridiculous looking gems, but you'd best be collecting enough scrap to make up for the time you're wasting!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12