Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Gateway: Home Sweet Home (Week 1)  (Read 7892 times)

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Gateway: Home Sweet Home (Week 1)
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »

Ilex sighs. "She's an arch-mage, the big fuckin' deal of the whole Academy, while I'm trying to scrabble together half a million gold in debt and not end up a laughing stock. I'm half-surprised she hasn't forced open a portal in the middle of my office to sit around and gloat straight to my face. She revels in my misery, of course she'd want to drag me in and talk me down in front of her cronies."

"And portals? She's going to end up screwing something up and destroying the entire damn city if she keeps dabbling in that kind of mess. As happy as I would be to see the look on her face when her perfect record gets destroyed, I'm none too fond of her it taking a few thousand lives with it."

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »

Karvan bellows, from where he is now happily munching down the bowl of chili he made for Morgiana, "What's a few thousand lives in the face of being able to see someone screw up!?" He lets out a hearty chuckle and then growls out, again, his voice causing the glass to shake slightly in most of the building, "But, well, I mean as long as it's not us... are we all yelling now? I LIKE YELLING. Anyways, the arch-mage wanted something to do with some sort of alliance with us, I dunno, you should think about it or something. I was a bit drunk. Morgiana was marginally more sober, she'll give you the details." As he bellows he gets closer to the room until he's standing in Ilex's doorway talking at his normal volume, which is still rather loud. He is carrying a bowl of chili, which he begins sloppily eating, whilst still standing in Ilex's office.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

"Karvan speaks the truth," Morgiana says. "I think it may be to our benefit to consider a partnership, even a temporary one. I know you've got your pride, as we all do, Ilex. There's no shame in asking for help, though. Especially when we're as deep as we are."

She shrugs. "Millicent told me and I'm telling you. She seemed interested in 'the advantages of sticking together', as she put it. It couldn't hurt to look into, I'm sure."

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »

Ilex's face scrunches up into a mix of anger and base disgust, pounding her desk with her gauntlet to back up her emphasis. "My 'pride' is never having any casualties on my end, and so as long as you don't go getting yourself gutted I'm none too worried about that. My problem is that she's a petty, lying, thieving scumbag and the most she'd want to do is have me crawl up to her throne and beg to lick her boots clean. The only thing that bog hag can evoke is bullshit, she'd just wring us dry and toss us in the trash if we joined her little regime. If I didn't trust your mind better I'd think she hexed the both of you, but I doubt even her 'savant' casting would slip by you entirely, Morgiana."

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

Karvan continues his chili eating for a bit before muttering, in a voice that would be deadly serious if not for the chili, "I was just relaying the message, I don't know what kind of female squabbles you ladies have going... really, you do me a disservice... Hexed..." He grumbles under his breath about random things as he strolls back into the kitchen to put his bowls into the wash basin.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2012, 06:00:57 AM »

"Well, boss," said Bertram, "as I think my dear old pater would have said, there's no-one you can trust less than an ally. Considering we rather lack for allies, presently, mayhap someone we already distrust would be a prudent choice. ... S-still, I don't believe we are that desperate yet."
...but is it art?

king of no pants

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »

Meran gathered the folder and scattered paperwork from Wanda's desk, organizing them while listening in on the ongoing discussion. He brushes past Karvan into the office, folder in hand as Ilex's temper flares once more. He steps forward, setting the folder on Ilex's desk, scratching his beard. The dwarf flips open the folder to the very red budget report once more and taps a finger on it for emphasis. "They're right."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »

Latir walks into the main hall from the roof access, already changed into his civvies and smoking his pipe.  He's obviously in a pretty good mood.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Who would like to come up to the landing pad up top and see our new ship?"

"Because we have a new ship."

"And a sackful of assorted loot of varying value to be appraised and auctioned, but really. Ship. Come and see."

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

Bertram set his newspaper down and stood up. "Hey, Latir! A ship? It's about time we had some cheer around this place. Let's have a look, then!"
...but is it art?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »

"I would say the haul from our last job included, in approximate order of importance, a new ship wrenched from the now-dead hands of its previous trecherous owner, the aforementioned haversack full of marketable and curious items, squatters' rights to a now-abandoned office, also full of marketable items, and access to a largely-unknown abandoned blighted hellhole of a rock in a particular sector of space."

"I will fill you in as we walk."

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »

Karvan looks up, makes a hrumph sound as he's pouring himself a large mug of ale then grumbles, "Well, I guess it can't hurt, still, seen one ship, seen 'em all." He strolls along with Bertram.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »

"I would love to, but I'm not really dressed for a ship inspection. Excuse me," Morgiana goes back to her quarters to get dressed.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »

The Short Holiday is a small vessel that is fitted for firearms that offer, at best, support fire... or the suggestion that one will get shot if they stand in front of the vessel, dead center, and don't move at all. It's mostly meant for small trading trips, quick routes, and reliable fast transport for up to 6 persons with non-livable room for cargo.

As your only ship, it would be unwise to sell it right now!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »

"Long story short, the previous owner was rather uncooperative with the terms of her job contract with us. A sixty-forty split turned into attempted homicide. So the previous owner was dumped in a lava pool and now it is our ship by default."

"I gave the cannons a couple test-fires on the way home. If we're to make this skiff anything resembling defensible we will need a bit of investment and a lot of craftswork. But it is one ship more than we had previously."

"Short story long, our job was to retrieve what we were led to believe was a valuable artifact from some old ruins out in Sector Middle of Nowhere. Traps, tricks, vault, artifact." Latir pulls a vaguely hand-shaped object out of his pack. "We rescued a boy while we were in there. Follower of Pelor, nice kid, needed some setting straight. I had a good talk with him on the way in, dropped him off downtown. Anyway, our patron was reluctant to pay up, sold out her servant to a fiend to save her hide, and brought to justice anyway. I guess you could say she had..."

Latir squints in the daylight, pulls out his smoked-glass spectacles, and puts them on.

"A devil to pay."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »

Devil May Care's office is itself not too spectacular in hidden treasures, forbidden secrets and unseen dangers. There's a single well-placed block of Ebonstone in the basement that accounts for the tangible aura of evil in the building, the better to aide Evelynn's scam, and well-kept offices with some monetary notes... mostly stocks in disbanded or black-mailed adventuring groups. It would seem Evelynn was using mercenary groups that were too small to contend on the larger scale as pawns with herself as an independent boss, amassing a small army to make a similar fully licensed claim as the dread Sir Ottiumus is presently attempting!

Cashing all of the stocks and selling the building space will neatly discharge this dangerous little bundle of scheming and make you 48,000 gold richer!

Looting Evelynn's body proved problematic as a great deal of her belongings seem to have been symbolically fused to her body and soul by whatever pact she made with Sviffle. Her office had a few additional potions.

Devil May Care

Fools-Errant Reputation: No Change
Debt Loot: 48,000 gold!
Free Gold: 24,000 gold!
Items

*Artifact: Hand of Entropy

You're not sure what this could be in any mortal terms. It doesn't seem safe to use.

*Volcanic Mace

Made for crushing and erupting!

+3 Volcanic Two-Handed Maul (+2 Prof, 2d6, Military Hammer, Crit Modifier +3d6)

Volcanic Property - Deals an additional 1d8 Fire damage on hit.

*Bolo Launcher Parts

From the modified and scattered remains of Leonard's weapon.

Grants an additional +1 magic modifier to any ranged weapon and allows a 1/Daily power.

1/Daily - Targets 1-2 Creatures within 3 squares of each other, Wis vs Reflex.
On Hit 1 Creature: Teleport creature 3 squares and deal 2[W] + Wis Mod to them.
On Hit 2 Creatures: Creatures switch place, take 2[W] + Wis Mod damage, and are dazed until the end of your next turn.

*Volcanic Hellfire Plate Shards

Broken in the battle in the vault room, these bits of spikes and metal radiate unnatural heat.

Grants +1 Modifier to any Heavy Armor, grants Resist 10 Fire(does not stack.)

*+2 Darkhide Armor

Leonard's personal set. He won't be needing it anymore... seems to be fashioned from one of the more horrible things that stalks those who might travel the comet walkways.

As Hide Armor but with Base AC 4 + 2. So... AC +6, Skill Checks -1, Light Armor

*Cleansed Beard Clasp

Purified with Holy Water, a tidy beard clasp dropped in the infernal circle of the Beard Baron, Sviffle.

Grants additional +1 bonus to any Holy Symbol. Must have a Beard. OK, or hair.

*Acrobat Boots

Leonard's pair of the popular model for the light on their feet... or the knocked-on-their-ass.

+1 Acrobatics, can stand up from Prone as a Minor instead of a Move. Feet Slot.

*Ironskin Potion

Smells like something from the blacksmith's furnace in a thick green flask.

1/1 Use. Grants Resist All 10 until end of encounter.

*Regeneration Potion

A sickly yellow in a little stoppered vial.

1/1 Use. Grants Regeneration 5 until end of encounter.

*Ring of False-Hoods

Evelynn's personal ruby ring.

Grants +2 Bluff Item Enhancement and allows user to disguise self as a devilish counterpart for an additional +2 Bluff.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »

That means you 8 active oldbees get another 3,000 Gold each! That's 5,000 total.

Active PCs for Week 1: Latir, Gulden, Isaac, Morgiana, Ilex, Karvan, Bertram, Ragjen

Debt: 436,000/500,000

You returned Hammond to the Church of Pelor in Gateway. He won't join you guys directly, but he might assist you if you ask him. Dedicated to Pelor and all that rot.

Maxmaps

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »

Ragjen simply rested on the couch, sighing softly to himself as he retrievd a small pounch from his belt, sprinkling a mysterious herb into the already packed pipe, then lighting the mixture with a small rune of flame drawn inside of it. He took a long drag then a drink from his glass, looking around as his eyes and smile mellowed out. "Uh... anyone want some?" He asked with that usual toothy grin. "Gotta enjoy our relaxing time, right?" Hearing the conversation about the ship, he turned, a bit concerned "It has space for Muscles, right"?... I get worried when we leave him here when we're out. He may get caught up with the wrong crowd..." He said sighing. "Also can we call someone to replace my window? I'll pay it from my own pocket but, man, I can't believe someone stole my window"

Poultron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Isaac struts into the room just behind Latir, making a point to rattle the spurs on his boots rather loudly as he strode to the couch and came to a rest next to Ragjen. He slung his rifle from his back, going through his usual inspection routine. "'course it's got space for Muscles. And if it ain't, we'll fix 'er up so she's got some," he says casually to Ragjen. "Shoot, he ain't that big anyways."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »

Wanda absconds to the kitchen and then momentarily returns with another small tray. She has a glass of water for Meran, a home-made sarsaparilla and a copy of a copper-weekly Space Cowboy comic(think Chick Tracts) for Isaac. They say a some crazy homeless guy in Gateway draws them and they seem to circulate among the vagrants once every two months. Next up, a bottle of cheap moonshine for Gulden and a smaller tray for Latir, which has a Sending Stone, a small note-pad keeping recordings of the progress of three separate bonsai mountains, including the effects of droplets of water applied to simulate erosion and the presence of a single mosquito that was removed without disturbing the mountain, and finally a cup of tea. Once she has seen to the second wave of arrivals she departs with the laundry.

Enrique volunteers to fix the window and insists that Ragjen let him "hit that packed pipe."

(I reckon I'll work on the next progression post tonight.)

Poultron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »

"Why thank ya kindly, little missy," Isaac says, gratefully taking his drink and comic from the tray. He pops open the bottle with his fingernail, briefly setting aside his rifle. He sets the sarsaparilla down, crossing one leg over the other to enjoy his comic. "Hot dang, first I get to tussle with some crazy demon lady, then I get a new issue! Yeehaw!" He bellows the last word with some force, with some disregard to any other conversations happening in the room.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6