Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Academy District: Higher Learning (Week 1)  (Read 2468 times)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Academy District: Higher Learning
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 03:21:14 PM »

Karvan grins, showing his sharp teeth and stands when she bids him, he cocks his head slightly as she mentions slugging people and gives a hearty chuckle, he grabs Morgiana's shoulder and draws her closer to him, before muttering, "Morgiana here decided it would be best if she and I came, to keep the punchings to a minimum." Karvan then leans backwards before largely, though not in his normal bellow, growling out, "Not that I don't mind a good punching, but sometimes, I've been told by my companions," as he says this he cuts Morgiana a look, "it's best not to punch people."

Karvan then gets a look on his face as if he's forgotten something then mutters out, "Bah, I'm an idiot, forgive me. I have you at a loss, I know who you are, but I presume you do not know me." He inclines his head slightly before muttering, "I am Karvan Garlkun, the Unrelenting." He gives a slight wink, as if he doesn't understand where winks go in conversation, and once again, smiles broadly, seemingly not realizing his fangs and scarred face make smiles almost intimidating.

Diplomacy 1d20 +6 | 3 + 6 = 9 (For bullshitting and normal conversation)

intimidation 1d20 +15 | 1 + 15 = 16 (Any intimidation on Karvan's part is accidental or SEEMINGLY accidental, but he is still a 6'6" 300 lb dragonborn...)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »

"Ohhhhhh, you're that Millicent, Empress Millicent," Morgiana's eyes brighten as she rises. "Why, I remember reading your thesis on Advanced Evocation, Fireball in a Bell Jar. Fascinating work, I must say. It really gave a great deal of insight on the metaphysical implications of spellcasting in areas of relative null space.
Morgiana's Arcana
1d20 +15
15 + 15 = 30
Morgiana Alibert, class of XLIV, by the way."

She smiles at Millicent's barb. "Im afraid Ilex, that is, our Miss Holsten, was required elsewhere at this time, and sends her regrets. She felt it would be in the company's best interest to send someone with Academic experience to handle this task, and bid me carry her signet ring to claim the voucher." She produces the ring and voucher with a flourish.

"Ah, if you like, I can have Karvan here punch a teller at random to settle the stakes."
Morgiana's Diplomacy
1d20 +16
4 + 16 = 20

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »

(Two Successes, One Failure, Keep Going!)

You've heard some things about the entourage the Empress has. Phous is a constant and known as a consumate martial artist, and the 6'6" Dragonborn can see the Giant is clearly twice his size. The Intimidation thankfully has no real effect.

Karvan's conversation skills seem to be flying about as far as Muscles can. The gnomish gentleman seems a bit put off, but Millicent smiles. "I think everyone in Gateway has heard of Karvan the Butcher." She offers Karvan a small slip of parchment that she produces from thin air. "Could I get an autograph from the Champ?" Assuming he accepts it, Millicent address Morgiana again. "Class of XLIV? With Kasari? A good year, I believe you were nominated as head of the class for your Master's on Illusion? I hope I'm speaking to the real Morgiana." She chuckles lightly.

Kasari seems to have disengaged from you two during this conversation and is speaking casually with the shadowed giant, who tends to offer one or two word responses in a deep voice that would make Earth Elementals uneasy.

"Fireball in a Bell Jar was elementary! At Haversham's advice, I've begun focusing on a new field of evocation.." She gestures around to the rifts and you reckon the Gnome must be Haversham. "We thought it appropriate to begin study of the origination Plane when we noticed this handsome aberration. I can send you a copy of the findings, if you'd like." Millicent crosses her arms and seems a bit bemused to be speaking of Ilex. "I'm just surprised, that's all. Ilex studied here but seems to hold no love for her alumni. I'd ah, prefer it if you did not punch anybody today." Millicent unfolds her arms and adopts the casual stance again, gesturing for emphasis with a raised hand. "Have you read my newest on the theory of Substitution and Dual-Foci? I've found that conjuring immense amounts of water and ice leads to an admirable amount of excess heat that can be amassed once removed from the ritual area."

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »

Morgiana smiles at the compliment. "I assure you, I'm quite real. You can be certain that an illusory Morgiana would have much nicer hair."

"Substitution and... no, I don't think I've gotten that far, but it sounds fascinating!" Morgiana looks thoughtful. "If you could harness that process, you could create a perpetual aeolipile, assuming you could have a steady supply of conjurers working around the clock... and you'd probably need to keep the ritual area moving to avoid any hazardous thamaturgical bleeding or stress. It'd need a great deal of testing before any machines could be manufactured around such a system, but the hypothesis is there."

Morgiana Arcana, part II
1d20 +15
20 + 15 = 35

"I'd love to read about the results of this study. I try to keep up with advances in magical theory and practice, but it's so difficult, with all the travel I do for the company." Morgiana shakes her head. "Most of my academic journals suffered an unfortunate fate when our ship was destroyed by a meteor. It's actually part of the reason I'm here, if that makes sense." She gestures with the voucher noncommittally.

Morgiana Diplomacy, part II
1d20 +16
8 + 16 = 24

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 02:31:37 AM »

Karvan watches them converse about magic for a bit before actually signing the slip of parchment, surprisingly his autograph is actually neat and well written. He hands it back with a smile, "Oh, well you know, some people in higher society don't like me once they find out I was a pit fighter, don't mind betting on the outcome of said fights, but well, you know." he chuckles and then pats Morgiana on the shoulder and gives an almost mocking wink, before muttering out, "So, she's saying real words... she's not just making up stuff when she goes on and on. Our little Morgiana is a bit of a smarty, isn't she." He grins at her and pinches her cheek, laughing loudly. "It's OK, I still like ya." He practically guffaws at his own words before, more fondly, patting Morgiana's shoulder. He then leans forward, as if conspiring with Millicent before muttering, "You should see her get all upset when something goes wrong, like when our ship got blown up by that meteor, all the pouting... it was downright devastating. I don't know what upset her more, losing the books or the clothing." He grins from ear to ear as he ducks slightly to the side as if to dodge any attack Morgiana should throw at him.

Diplomacy
1d20 +6
11 + 6 = 17

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »

(That's 3 successes, though I forgot to add that you should not repeat skill use. But since it makes sense in context this time who cares! :V)

Millicent seems delighted with the care-free nature you two share. "I'll mail you some texts, dear. I'm very touched that you would come greet me like this after our business." She gestures off-hand to Haversham and Phous. "They thought it fair to conclude our business with Fools-Errant professionally, although I still find it a shame that Holsten is so set on upsetting the balance of power in Gateway."

She offers the half-smile and half-smirk of somebody who feels genuinely sorry for you, but is a professional competitor all the same. "And a freak meteor..." Well, it was tossed by a freak, right? "You know, if you ever want to come back... or join us, maybe somebody who can handle words like you can convince Holsten of the advantages of sticking together. But I know that's not what you want to hear."

Millicent holds her hands up and drums her fingers along the air, translucent silver-blue light igniting along the tips of her fingers as she weaves together script in the Aqual tongue. She focuses for a bit and the runic line completes in mid-air, than coalesces into a vibrant silver-blue bubble-bead bracelet. She flicks an index finger forward and it glides to Morgiana. "A gift, for your genuine courtesy. If you'll excuse us, I believe the Aboleth has been aware of our scrying for at least fifteen minutes and will attack shortly. Please take the voucher to the offices of the Evocateur and Transmetarium Tower and I hope to see you again, Morgiana!" She winks at Karvan. "And the Champ." She grins and waggles the autograph, then turns back to the rift. The Aboleth is indeed occasionally casting glares that seem to land on the observers, but it seems a bit unsure of it's exact target.

You can finally go cash your voucher!

Bubble-Bead Bauble

A token of servitude from the Elemental Plane of Water given willingly to a worthy magus.

Daily(Substitute for Summon Succubus Level 9 Daily)

HP - as Caster's Bloodied Value
Defenses(AC/F/R/W) - As Caster's
Surges - 0/0, Caster may use own Surges for Creature's benefit if a power allows it to spend a surge.
Speed - 7 (Charge 10)
Attack - Intelligence (Morg's) vs AC
Damage - 1d10 + 3 + Intelligence Mod(Morg's)
Critical - +1d6 Frost
Torrent - 1/Encounter - Intelligence vs Fortitude - Standard - Elemental Charges to a square, then makes a Close Burst 1 attack against enemy creatures for 2[W] + 3 + Int Mod(Morg's)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »

Karvan pleasantly bids everyone farewell, he bows slightly to phous and the others before inclining his head respectfully at Millicent, he then wraps his arm around Morgiana's shoulders and says, "She's not a bad lady, I wonder what Ilex will say about this meeting." As he walks away from the queen he sways just slightly, obviously the drink from before is just finally hitting him.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »

"Thank you, Millicent!" Morgiana says, so overwhelmed by her fellow alumnus's generosity that she neglects her title. "I look forward to catching up on the latest developments in sorcery. And don't be a stranger! If there's ever an official or non-official matter that needs discussion, my door's always open... unless it's closed."

Karvan's insistent arm finally clues Morgiana in and she begins walking out with him (and Kasari?).

"She's not a bad lady, I wonder what Ilex will say about this meeting." As he walks away from the queen he sways just slightly, obviously the drink from before is just finally hitting him.

Morgiana guides him out of the building. "Seven stars, what a nice surprise," she muses, looking at her new bracelet. "I simply must write her a note of thanks when we get back. Do be a dear and remind me later, heh, 'Champ.'"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »

You arrive at the storing house and deposit your voucher for a resounding 10,000 gold success!

Fenwick's still waiting at the bar if Karvan has a hankerin' for drankerin'.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:34 AM »

(Yay! We're 2% closer to our goal!)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »

Karvan will ask Morgiana to hold the 10,000 gp worth of whatever they have and take his own personal wealth out for some drinking.... (This is actually a considerable amount....) He meets back up with Fenwick, walking into the bar where he left him and bellowing, "It's time for some drinking and arm wrestling!" at the top of his well developed growling lungs.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 06:47:51 AM »

Whenever you are done breaking chairs and mugs, you two could actually head over to the Strictly Business encounter as reinforcements.

As you recall, Ilex took some of the boys out to collect on a debt. Some of the newbies went out to chat with prospective clients, but they surely wouldn't be dumb enough to accept a job on the spot, right?

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

Karvan gets up, pays the barkeep and pats Fenwick before, growling in a slight slur. "We gotta go find out if some of our associates are quite as stupid as they seem. They might be doing something they shouldn't like getting into a fight.... WITHOUT ME." He laughs and pats Fenwick on the shoulder before telling him, "If you're ever around our offices when I'm there we can have a couple of mugs!" He rattles off the address rather quickly before grabbing Morgiana's shoulder and leading her out, "Let's go find those chaps, see if they've started some trouble without Karvan. That's basically against the rules of the organization, they should know better, new or not!"

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »

"Right," Morgiana agrees. She kept a clear(ish) head, drinking only a single bugfruitini whilst Karvan caroused. "Won't Ilex be surprised when she sees how much is in the company coffers!"

"Now if I recall the address correctly, they were headed out into the warehouse district of Deep End." She guides the tipsy dragonborn through winding streets and alleys down towards the seamy underbelly of Gateway. As they go, she refreshes his memory. "Simple debt collection. A wizard, one Ottimus III by name, thinks he can default on a contract because our guild license was destroyed. We're going to convince him to do the neighborly thing and pay like he should have."

[how should we pop up in the other thread?]

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »

(I'll set it up in a turn or two with initiatives.)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »

(Sorry for the absence guys! I basically went Raid -> Sleep -> Sleep until ten minutes before work -> Go to work -> go to friend's house -> Sleep! I would have snuck an update in if I didn't sleep too late that one morning.)

After breaking a few tables with arm-wrestling impacts, Karvan comes away with some respect for another tough dragonborn living in the Academy District. Kasari bids you all a polite farewell and congratulates Morgiana on doing so well in court. "You really act like a Diplomat..."

Fenwick: "Oi! Kasari! This guy seems really mad about.. yer broken furniture, or summat!"

Kasari makes a face.

Kasari: "Well, I guess I'll see you later. I think I'll be busy for the rest of the night."

You guys know where your friends went, so you abscond to check on them...
Pages: 1 [2]