Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Prepare For Trouble (Week 2 Climax)  (Read 13241 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Prepare For Trouble (Week 2 Climax)
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »

(Hrmm, I liked this three way split better when I started it, though I think the overall playing has been at least satisfactory. Mostly my fault for being lazy/coming home moody and not wanting to update for 2-3 days at a time. Sorry! Week 3 should be much more consistent on my end.)

Ilex: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...... sproing? You land on something soft after falling for at least ten seconds. It catches you like a trampoline, bounces you up a bit, catches you again and just rumbles a bit as the force of the fall spreads out amongst it. You seem to be at the bottom of the furnace, beneath the actual point where criss-crossing flame jets would incinerate the trash that should be piled up about here. There's no trash, just this.. strange ooze under you. And an unlocked hatch!

Opening it leads you into a hallway that is very neatly kept, even down to being dusted. By the signs of the extensive stonework of whites and greens, you would appear to have fallen into Gateway's Sewer System. There are two doors nearby, one seems to be an office door with name plating on the glass that has long since been picked, scabbed or faded away(The outline of a capital D remains...) the other is unmarked. Both are completely obscured, despite being glass-outlined rooms, by opaque dark glass.

Ragjen, Morgiana, Karvan, Isaac: As you advance along the walkways, you eventually see something pulsating in the distance. Two somethings, one on either end of the criss-crossing and looping catwalks. Isaac can recognize them as being the same pattern of pulsing and the same color as the Goo-Spawning Trap that subdued him at the entrance. They don't appear to be active and are at least 50 feet away from you, though only 20 feet away from one another.

Meran, Latir, Bertram, Gulden: Meran, you don't dungeoneer anything particularly note-worthy, except that all of the tunnels you've used so far seem to be sized so that the Warpwood Beetle could move along them at a fair clip. Latir, you can't really discern anything about the beakers without a proper Nature check. Bertam, the papers detail Mad Science that makes you feel a bit ill. Every one of the theories revolves around harnessing, violently and without consent, the natural energies of Fey creatures to powers devices that are impressively a tech level or two above anything currently known. You could explain the wording to Latir to help him decipher it and give him some circumstance bonuses to examining things in the lab.

Beatrice seems bored. Wanda lets out a gasp when, without provocation, the Warpwood Beetle shifts back and forth and chitters a bit. It doesn't seem hostile, just bored.

Meran, Carp Cod goes for the diving suit and you can hear mechanical things breaking behind you as you make a tear for it across the water. You make it across safely, but about twenty feet onto dry land you hear the surface of the water ripple and divide again as Carp Cod rises, lunges about ten feet onto dry land(roughly the length of his jaws), snaps at you futilely, then sullenly slides back into the water.

Wanda gives Latir a sympathetic pat on the shoulder.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Prepare For Trouble (Week 2 Climax)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »

Latir freezes as the carp lunges for Meran, then starts at Wanda's touch. "Let us go. I can make no conclusions about this chemistry set and would really like to leave these sewers as soon as possible."

king of no pants

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

Meran dusts himself off, exhaling slowly as the adrenaline leaves his system. He turns to the rest of the group and gives a cursory glance around the laboratory. The dwarf hears Latir's suggestion, but takes a second glance at the equipment on the desk.

Meran Nature Check
1d20 +12
6 + 12 = 18

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

"I say!" said Bertram as he looked over the mad scientist's notes. "This is some really grisly stuff! I mean 'unethical' hardly begins to cover it. Look here, Latir, it - oh, yes, I suppose we should get moving. I'll just bring these notes with me; I've got a feeling somebody will want to hire us to deal with whatever miscreant is responsible." He crammed a few notebooks into his pack.
...but is it art?

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »

Ilex looks at the sproingy ooze, mostly curious as to if it appears similar to Ottimus' work. Chances are pretty good, but hey, never know.

Code: [Select]
Ilex Arcana Check
1d20 +6
10 + 6 = 16

Done inspecting the ooze, Ilex shuffles off and finds the offices. After eyeballing the door for a moment, she leans over and looks at the glass. Tightening her gauntlet, she takes a swing at the glass instead.

Ilex Strength Check
1d20 +11
17 + 11 = 28

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

Karvan walks forward cautiously and looks around, he motions towards the area where the traps are, "What is this stuff? It looks... creepy." he grins and says the word creepy the way other people say fun. He strolls on a bit, but doesn't get too close to the traps.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »

Meran: The beakers appear to be distilling very potent substances from already ripped essences of Fey creatures. Only one of them is any sort of finished state, though, and the others aren't in a hurry to move. It's lootable to be studied later. Picking up the completed stuff seems to automatically disengage the automated bits of the tube adjusters and tilters and stirrers and such, and the gel you pick up comes in a small glass bottle, smelling distinctly of blue-berries. The Warpwood Beetle skitters from side to side, seemingly interested by this new odor.

Ilex: The ooze is an ooze. Unlike most other oozes, it doesn't seem to be quite as "alive", but you're assuming because most oozes eat anything edible that touches them. This one is entirely inert. You then smash the glass and look into a small stripped bare stone room, with a mirror pane set across the far side of the room. There is a very small gentleman inside wearing a set of Academy style deep blue robes. He's chained up by his ankles and wrists and is startled by your dramatic entrance, gasping weakly. He appears to be very pale and the stone floor beneath him is stained dark with dried blood.

Karvan: As you approach them, they shimmer in reaction to the shifting angle of your eyes and the only light source. The way ahead seems to involve passing by one of them, at least.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

"What are those things?" Morgiana whispers as she moves along the catwalk, one hand on the rail, the other holding her orb aloft. She cranes her neck to look past Karvan's bulky frame. "Anyone know?"

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

Karvan growls, "I have no idea but I'm not really a fan of walking up to something that is potentially dangerous and waving, no matter what my enemies and more overzealous fans might think...." he approaches slowly, carefully, ready to attempt to spring back if whatever it is explodes or excretes.

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »

Ilex peers in and waves.

"Hey there. You, uh... Why is someone from the Academy down in the sewers? Actually, why is an office down here in the sewers?"

Poultron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 01:51:26 AM »

"Hmm," Isaac says. "Those are lookin' a little TOO familiar..." He carefully inspects one of the 'traps.' "I reckon these are the same kinda traps what got me into this mess in the first place. They spawn nasty goo girls long as they're up. Oughta be careful of 'em."

king of no pants

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »

Meran takes the bottle of gel and slowly approaches the beetle, holding the bottle out and trying to see if he can get the creature to follow the scent. The dwarf idly wondered if these beetles were used as some kind of transportation using the scented substance as bait.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »

"Well, we have to pass them, do any of you have any ideas on how to disable them or?" he shrugs and makes a low growl sound, "I'm not good at traps, I prefer just to punch through something."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »

(Herp derp pulled a muscle in my neck feel better now.)

Ilex: Responding weakly: "If you can get me down, I can explain everything... th.. the drawer, quickly." He looks to a small desk in the same room. Spread across the desk are some empty syringes and meticulously clean surgical tools, along with a bloody rag and some small stoppered vials of cleaning materials. Sure enough, the desk also has some drawers with not much in them save for a set of two identical keys for manacles.

Meran: Warpwood Beetle bobs to and fro, following you like an enraptured kitten. He steps out of the warehouse clearing he is in and in better light you can see that his shell has actually been worked upon, as if a carpenter did his thing while the Beetle was still alive to watch him do it. There are some drop-down stairs that lead up to... seating?

Karvan, Isaac, etc: Getting closer, you can make out finer details of the trap. It seems to be something set on top of the floor, not part of it. Imagine a torso-sized opal of translucent blue goo/gel set in a frame made of silver, with various supports and long, fine bits pressed against the ground. The opal's top is clear and open enough that you could toss something into it.

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »

Ilex eyeballs the keys for a bit, looking suspicious.

"Why do you have a set of manacles installed here, in the wall? This is an office, right?"

Ilex takes a close look at the man, figuring him for a mimic or doppelganger. Had more than one man who decided to dive face first into a fishy looking setup and get stuck in the maw of one of those beasts for his trouble. Playing tug-of-war with a shapeless beast isn't much fun, and without anyone to back her up she has an even harder time of trusting it. Not to mention the whole backchairing and other shenanigans throughout the day.

Ilex Insight Check
1d20 +7
13 + 7 = 20

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

Common sense would suggest that this man is a prisoner, his wounds were surgically made with the matching surgical tools and by his insistence that you hurry, there is the possibility of the torturer returning.

Something sets off the furnace jets, which you can hear, muffled as they are through the walls. They shut off after a while, then you hear a distant AAAAAAAAAAAAAA that grows louder until Catbad lands on the bounce-slime, which seems to have weathered the jets above it without incident. An EEEEEEEEE follows and Bethany arrives, picking up an angry Catbad. "Wow, she survived!" Bethany skips over to you. "Well hello, Boss! Ohhh! Humphrey! Getting caught, are we? What a lousy thief!"

Humphrey has trouble appreciating the humor of the situation. "It's.. not my office, I assure you! Get me down!"

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »

"Humphrey, huh? Well, may as well then."

Ilex goes to unlock his shackles.

Maxmaps

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

Ragjen followed Karvan, examining the seemingly inactive traps by his side. "I don't know. Might just be paranoia but who's to say we aren't say seconds away from these things activating and fucking us up?" The dragonborn asked, wondering if standing infront of the device was at all a good choice.

After which, he shrugged. "Y'know, if someone's expecting us to just wait til we're at our weakest then spring the trap on us..." The dragonborn grinned, swinging his flail in the air for a couple spins them smashing it against the trap. "ALWAYS ONE MOVE AHEAD MOTHERFUCKER!"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »

Ragjen: Impact from your firey flail ignites the goo and activates the trap. Large portions of the gel split off into flaming bits of slime that rise up like the earlier Widows and attempt to seize you. One falls off to the side and burns to ash, the other wraps around you and deals the delightful twin burning sensations of acid and fire together for 14 damage. Although you are immobilized briefly, the gel burns to ash as well and ceases to hold you down.

The remainder of the goo bubbles and burns in the trap, still active.

Ilex: Humphrey seems relieved to get down and works to heal his own wounds and retrieve his personal effects from the next room, which is another small office that reveals that one of the glass walls was a one-way mirror. The office is quite meticulously kept and very boring. Files and receipts in it detail perfectly mundane business transactions and the processing of materials for large-scale construction and architecture related to city-building.

Humphrey: "So who are you? Guard? Spirit? Mind? ... Shadow?"

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »

"Hm... Money. I'm Money."

Ilex plants a foot on one of the filing cabinets and dunks it over.

"So what did we come down here for, again?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10