Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Like In Storybooks (Week 2)  (Read 6580 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Like In Storybooks (Week 2)
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »

He boggles at you! Just out-right boggling! With the eyes blinking dumbly and the mouth gaping. "Come on now, you can't expect me to believe you just stumbled in here! Even beggars avoid the sewers!"

He folds his arms and looks agitated as you are clearly problematic. "You remind me of Anne the Addled, from Blacksmith's Apprentice.." A ditzy, empty-headed character from one of your sibling's favorite tales.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »

That doesn't fly. That doesn't fly at all.

"Um, no, I'm nothing like her, and yes, I did just stumble in here. Well, technically, I fell, and that gross, murky water broke my fall, and my gear is probably going to smell foul for weeks now! I just want to go home, okay? Can you just tell me how to get out of here so I can just go home? Please?!?"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

He gulps, reflexively opens his book and looks at a dog-eared page, then slams it shut and looks courageous for a brief moment! He stows the book away in his pack and nods, as though suddenly filled with determination.

"O.. Ok! If you need help, I'll help you." He gives you a conspirator's glance and leans in. "But you can't be seen, got it? The Hydra's Head will get mad if another intruder shows up."

He brandishes a poorly made iron short-sword and starts marching back the way his friends came, then looks over his shoulder and yaps out quickly. "My name's Veihj! Keep up!" He starts leading the way.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »

"T-thank you," she stammers out, and pulls Bumble out from his hiding place. Quick as she can, she climbs onto his back, and secures her cloak around her shoulders, the dark camouflage side out, pulls the hood over her head, and crouches low against his back. She kicks his flanks softly, and tugs the reigns so they follow him directly. She keeps one hand clenched around her bow, ready to use it if this Hydra's Head fellow finds them.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

Veihj leads you along the sewers, walking for what feels like forever down the length of this artificial river set inside what must be miles of bricks. Eventually, he signals back to you to hold still... he moves ahead and intercepts another kobold carrying a torch and they begin yapping back and forth in Draconic. Behind his back, Veihj indicates that you need to move by.

Assuming a well-trained horse, you'll still need a suitable Stealth check. Or something else, if you have an outside the box solution.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »

Azura pushes herself so she's flush against Bumble's back. She pulls her hood back just slightly, so her eyes are trained on the guard. She hooks her arm through the bridle, and pulls an arrow out of her quiver with a free hand. It's a difficult position, but she trains the tip at the guard's eye, and pulls back the string. It wouldn't be the cleanest shot, but if she gets caught, it could be the difference between life and death. So what the hell.

Then, she tugs on the bridle, coaxing Bumble forward.

Stealth check

1d20 +5
16 + 5 = 21

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »

(WHAT THE HECK A RETURNING PLAYER NO WAY.)

You move on to a small alcove, where a pair of doors are situated. Veihj eventually joins you and warns you to be stick close to him. You're about to enter the village... He opens the door and passes through what was once an office, but has since been torn down and remodeled into a storage facility, with dozens of cheapily made wooden cases holding dozens of random items. Extra bricks, bits of scrap metal, cracked plates, shredded cloth, strips of leather, half-rotted hides and scaled and so on.

He brings you through another door and immediately ducks into a make-shift "alley" passageway between what appears to be rows and rows of hide-bound tents, with the occasional brick hut standing. Over it all is another great stone roof, but this chamber is one of the massive warehouse style ones that seems to crop up in the sewer systems every so often, as needed to house replacement parts for very, very large pieces of equipment or pipe. Running down the side of the rooms are torrents of water that pass by huge, crystal-topped pillars, the crystals radiating an energy that seems to cleanse the obvious filth out of the water, where it pools briefly in circular chambers on the sides of the warehouse, then is flushed away in a whirlpool motion to keep traveling.

Aside from just being arranged in as large of rows as they can make with the occasional gap for travel convenience, all of the rows of tents follow a very vague figure 8 pattern, making two huge circular openings on the North and South sides of the room. You two are starting at the North, which seems to be largely abandoned for some reason, save for the occasional napping kobold occupying a tent, and the South circle is occupied by a huge crowd of the little lizard-men happily roasting a pair of freshly scavenged Basilisk corpses that were also freshly slaughtered! FRESH MEAT! The silhouettes of the very strange, very large six-legged lizards stand out as alien.

But not as alien as what occupies the North Circle, and seems to be scaring away the typical loiterers. There is a single great totem pole carved with elaborate care to resemble five unique Dragon heads: Blue, Black, Red, White and Green. It is carved and painted with better care than most of the tribe's makings, suggesting it's importance. And tied to the front of it is a very angry and savage looking Gensai, this one looking like a female with a tilt towards the Air/Thundersoul. To say that she is tied to the pillar is an understatement. This important prisoner was discovered trespassing and subdued and under orders, was to be held. So the Kobolds restrained her. They used rope, they found some old chains, they randomly tied bits of cloth in knots, they added more rope, leather straps for good measure and hey, an old pair of iron shackles. And then so they wouldn't like forget the key for the chains and shackles, they hung it around her neck. The clumsy job is effective, if smothering.

Poor Ardna. You had a chance at disarming, escaping or even subduing the giant Lizard-Man guard down here, but a kobold with the primal trappings of a Shaman interrupted your fight in the worst way, by invoking an Enlarging Charm upon the Lizard-Man and making him large enough to pick you up and crush you into the wall like a doll.

Veihj begins leading Azura around the far perimeter of the tent city. He whispers to her. "If we keep going like this, you should get out alright, the celebration will keep them busy!"

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »

Ardna glares down at the crowd of kobolds below, electric charge crackling across her skin and lashing out around her in great whips, ever just out of reach of her captors. Her expression is one of restrained rage, and despite her light show she isn't bothering to struggle at her bindings anymore.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »

Azura lolligags behind. Against her better judgement, she can't take her eyes off the prisoner. The girl could be just as lost as she is, for all she knows.

"But...that girl...how long has she been there? Won't they let her go?"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »

"She attacked Jorgen, our guardian. I think the Head will sacrifice her later, to seek Tiamat's blessing." He looks a bit sad.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »

Azura blinks at him, and shakes her head.

"You don't want them to, do you?"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »

Veihj blinks and stammers. "I.. I'm loyal! I just don't think it's right... b-b-b-but I'd.. I'd never betray the Great Mother!" He frowns at you.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

She looks around, trying to piece together some sort of plan.

"You've done a lot for me, Veihj, and I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am...but...I can't just leave her there! What's the best way over there?"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »

It's an obvious route, just to pass through one of the occasional gaps in the tent line and head over to the center of the clearing.

The real issue is if you'll be noticed doing it.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »

Azura dismounts her horse, and gives the bridle to Veihj. She digs into one of the saddle bags, taking out her fileting knife and the pocket mirror she keeps. She tells Veihj that Bumble is his if she doesn't make it back, and strokes the horse's snout once before slipping amongst the tents. She pokes her head around the corner, looking the girl over, and then pivots her pocket mirror so it catches a glint off the fire. A tiny spec of reflected light bounces across the clearing, and she focuses it over to the captive, trying to get her attention.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

Ardna catches the glinting light out of the corner of her eye. Rather than look up, she focuses for a moment, a great jolt of lightning lashing out from her body and letting out a loud thundercrack through the cavern. To her captors it may seem like more feeble attempts at intimidation, but her intention is to signal back.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »

Azura wiggles the light around for just a second more, then covers the mirror with her hand, and pockets it. She sticks the sheathed fileting knife into her boot for safe keeping, and pulls her cloak up above her shoulders. Her armor is dark colored, so it won't stand out too much, but her pale hair might. She wraps the cloak around her head, the stilettos helping to hold it in place like an odd colored turban. A quick check in the mirror, and an adjustment here and there, and she's contented that the shape doesn't look that unlike the shape of a kobold head. She adjusts her posture, and save for the lack of scales and a tail, she wonders if she couldn't pass for a slightly off-looking kobold if someone looked over ever so briefly, then returned to what they were originally looking at. She takes a deep breath, and as silently as her feet can take her, runs out with all haste towards the prisoner.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »

You run over to Ardna! My, this is a lot of nonsense to cut through.

Nobody seems to have noticed you or reacted yet.

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

Azura positions herself so she's mostly hidden behind the prisoner, and in a second, pulls out and unsheathes her fileting knife, and looks over the confines briefly through her goggles, hoping to find a single point where she can cut, and push aside a whole bundle of what is holding the girl there.

"Don't move, okay? They've got you tied up but good, but I've got a nice, sharp knife."

Stealth check

1d20 +16
19 + 16 = 35

Perception check

1d20 +15
16 + 15 = 31

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »

You duck behind the totem and immediately identify a very clumsy bow-tie knot, removing the majority of the rope in short order. You seem to have bought some time with your skill at hiding, as there is still no notice...

Just need to get the chains and shackles off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5