Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Long Holiday (Week 3-1)  (Read 17081 times)

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Long Holiday (Week 3-1)
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »

Azura feels herself blush just slightly. She was sort of hoping she was wrong about that, but...well...a free drink is a free drink.

"Um...I'd try one of each of whatever you like best..."

She feels almost brazen at her boldness. She's probably going to be really bad at this.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »

Latir: Still speaking entirely in Dwarven, Yurbere raises an eyebrow at you, seeming to pull some deep insight from your words that you yourself don't recall uttering. He offers you a proper drink... and it is properly Dwarven, warming you to your fingertips in short order. Just as you finish it, he seems to have another delivered, and he continues this process as he asks you about your home life, how your folks are doing, the sort of hiho Fools-Errant gets at, the proper tenets of Erathis... "Always favored that one myself. You've probably noticed a lot of undecided, unofficial worshipers amongst the Reaches. When life gives you junk, a bit of hiho makes it flamethrowers.. or so the saying goes!" He waits for you to accept at least a half-dozen of the friendly offered drinks before making his move... verbally!

"A bright young man like yourself must have more to his mind than lukre, lukre, lukre. Particularly as at least two other camps pay it out as though they were sick of holding onto it. What are you really about, Knight of Erathis? Though her valor is capital, I don't much reckon House Holsten has done anything but try to shatter civilization on account of it stubbing their toe at some point." He harumphs. "We still warn initiates about that dullard, Argus Holsten."

Latir cocks an eyebrow at the first comment, "Actually, no. I had not noticed any worshippers of Erathis among Gateway citizens at all -- there is no church or gathering-place. I honestly thought I was the only one."

"I work for Holsten Holdings because I have no desire to work for the Academy and would rather my views not clash with my employer's as thoroughly as they would at the Church of Pelor. The Wardens were the first place I approached when I began searching for steady work in Gateway, and was..." don't say laughed out of the office don't say laughed out of the office don't say laughed out of the office "...turned down."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »

Latir: "Not worshipers, but the thirst for invention is at an all-time high, as is the dream of a stable society. Perhaps it falls to you to lead the first meetings." Yurbere sighs and gives you a pat on the shoulder. "That the most noble among us should toil until recognized. Don't let it bother you, the Wardens are far stricter than the rest of the recruit-any-bugbear-thug armies." He produces a regal carved smoking pipe... made of stone... with an appropriately tiny little furnace(!) built in under the bowl. He begins to undo a packet of choice tobacco, the rich smell of it suddenly unleashed hitting everyone at the table with the sheer aroma of perfect blend.

McMalty's. Quality That Endures.

He lights a match and begins to stoke the tiny furnace. "But I don't believe you've answered me, Latir. What do you truly wish for? Work without goal is barely better than a child's chores."

Azura: The one on the left leans in and offers you some sweet honey-mead! He's got a head of curly red hair and sideburns to match, and he's wearing a banjo slung across his back. "Well now, I think this'll hit the spot! I'm Boxcar Tim!" Honey-mead is a halfling staple and the perfect cure for a sweet-tooth, with the pleasing aftertaste of alcohol. Tim has a slight belly but a rosy face with dimples on his smiles, and fingers raw with dirty nails from hard work and carpentry.

His friend elbows him away long enough to offer you a mug of strong Dwarven Teaser, which is simply a high-quality light beer invented to let other races sample Dwarven drinking without becoming hopeless drunks. It warms you right down to your toes! This guy's got a slicked back black do and a gap-tooth with a few scars on his face, wearing a short-sword at his belt and the buckler on his arm seems to double as a drum + cymbal. "Don't listen to this light-weight! If there's one thing I know, it's booze! And my name, which is Skinny Leonard." He does have a rather athletic fit and some swole biceps for a guy built like a hat rack.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »

"As I told you before when you asked about my upbringing, I grew up in a small dwarf-hall, crowded in with two other families. I was studying to be an Ollam when the dreams started. I was called to leave home and..."

Well, why not. These are Wardens too, and dwarves to boot. Perhaps they will better sympathize.

"I spent years studying old texts and lore, from when dwarves lived on Prime. I've read text after text about the Plane of Earth and the structures there. I believe my divine goal for all the dwarves in the Reaches," and here he pulls out the Bonsai stone he showed Miss Duval earlier, "Is to commission and oversee the construction of a proper dwarf-home. A mountain."

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 03:17:38 PM »

She takes several careful sips of each beverage offered her, and considers them both. In all honesty, she's really more of a whiskey girl. She keeps a flask of the stuff tucked into the waist of her trousers at all times in case she ever gets a chill while on a hunt. In fact, she's felt like she could use a nip of it several times today alone, but her favorite distillery back in Issisia is, well, all the way back in Issisia. Would it be too brazen to sample what a local distillery might have to offer?

"Um...they're both nice, I suppose...but I enjoy whiskey a bit more."

Without realizing it, she tosses her hair over her shoulder. This seems to promote a...reaction in these two.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

(Might I recommend that you use <angle brackets> to indicate when you're speaking in a language other than Common, for clarity's sake?)

Four days until the arrival of the next tram? Bertram was in no particular hurry but he knew that he ought to minimize carriage rides in which Enrique had a captive audience. "I say," he said, and he meant it. He supposed the lack of tickets was an unsurprising failure of planning on his part, but at least he knew when it fell to him to make up for it; better to fall destitute than suffer a friend to be put out on your account. So up he walked to this scene.

The seats were a bit short for a seven-foot-tall minotaur, but he played it cool and managed to cram himself in. "Gentlemen," he said. "Mind if I cut in?"
...but is it art?

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »

Attica

Attica snickers at the accusation. "If that were the case you'd've known better than to bother draggin' me out here."

Not sure if Latir has been talking in Dwarven this whole time or just been shoving Dwarven words into Common, so I dunno if I can react to anything they've been saying.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »

Horribly rude to be speaking a foreign language in mixed company. Latir has been speaking Common.

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »

Attica perks up and looks over at Latir at the mention of his mountain plan.

"Oh, that? I remember hearing Duval mention that when I dropped by yesterday."

After a bit of an awkward pause, Attica speaks back up.

"S... So that wasn't a joke? Like, you actually think you can get the resources piled up to do that? You, ah... Well if you're serious about that at all you should probably find yourself an elementalist and get in good with them. It's a bit of a lofty goal though, even for a dwarf's lifetime. Takes a lot of effort just for me to make a properly spread out thunderstorm crop up, but shaping the earth on such a wide scale is a bit insane, especially for something that you can't a whole lot of people behind. Doesn't really do anything but be an eyesore for any non-dwarves. Gonna take a lot of conviction to convince people otherwise."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »

"If fulfilling a divine mandate were easy, no gods would need clerics or paladins."

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

The hounds look Bertram over in brief appraisal, then roar their approval with laughter! The other five pick up this dead-tired and dead-broke chap:

And set him up on a cushioned chair near the fire, checking to see how he is... tail wagging, he's fine, he'll sleep it off!

Suikoden I OST - Joy Joy Time ~ Mini Game Theme

Sir Lionel speaks in a high-pitched, yappy tone but with practiced regality. "I say, young man, are you familiar with Follow The 7th?" As a Sportsballer, you should be! The 7th is the final inning and often considered to be the time for talented teams to shine and pull miraculous recoveries. "The 7 and the card dealt after it are Wild, but if another 7 shows up, it changes the Wild card. What'll you bet?'

Each hound offers up 500 gold as the starting pot. Serious players! You are expected to put up 500 personal g to enter the game, Bertram.

Cards are dealt, two face down. The hounds each have serious poker faces on, whether that involves twitching noses, lagging tongues or unusually steady jowls. They peek at their cards and the dealing begins. Three waves in and things are down-right boring... Dog 3 has the makings of a Flush in his face up cards, but what of it?! No 7s are flying! With each wave, the betting is kept at 100g steady, with nobody really objecting.

Thus, Bertram, your obligation to get in so far is 800 g.

But then... A Seven! Wild card to Sir Lionel! The Ten that follows is Wild for Dog 2... until the NEXT SEVEN shows up for Dog 3! That makes Dog 4's 5 of Clubs wild... UNTIL BERTRAM GETS THE THIRD SEVEN! The dogs woof and bark and hop up in surprise with each new seven, practically out-yelling the entire bar and bursting into riotous guffaws at the third and final! One of the Dogs folds immediately with a low whine...

Lionel raises to 250g! The others follow suit, swelling the pot from 4200g to 5450g immediately! Assuming you're still in, Bertram, and can afford to run with the big dogs, that's 1,050g down for you so far.

The Final Hand. The next card that goes to Lionel... is a Nine, making Nines the final Wild card as none of the others draw the remaining Sevens.

Lionel is wagging exceptionally hard. Two more dogs abandon ship and fold, refreshing their drinks and meal plates with the first dog. Dog 3 looks a bit wary, but his jowls waggle as he follows Lionel in with a 500g raise, making the pot 6,450 total.

Bertam, you're up. Do you want to risk it all with your final hand(as we've discussed in Steam messages), or Fold and reduce your losses? It'll be 500g more for a total of 1,550g to play through to the end.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »

"Follow the sevens?" said Bertram. "That sounds good for a lark." He casually dropped five shiny platinum pieces onto the table. "Deal me in, gents." The game passed through third, fourth, fifth street with an additional obligatory clink of one more coin from Bertram's wallet. And then came the sevens. "So, the ten's wild now, right? Wait, no - fives? No - " he matched Lionel's 250g bet. And then they were on seventh street, and it was just Bertram, Lionel with two wild cards showing, and the other dog.

"I say, what are you wagging about? You've got me curious now. I'll call that." He tossed five more pp onto the table.
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

Lionel reveals...

Lionel – Ace of Spades, 9 of Spades, 8 of Spades, 3 of Clubs, 5 of Hearts, Wild 7, Wild 9

A face-down Ace and a face-down 9. He has THREE WILD CARDS! Alligning the Ace, 9, 9, 7 and 8, he has Four Aces + an 8. The Dogs that folded out roar and stamp their paws on the table and hop up and down and tails are wagging tongues are out oh my Gooooog.

"I applaud you for facing me to the end, sir! You're top-notch and braver than a Golem in a quarry! Now let's see what you've got?!" He is wagging and panting, standing up in his chair, both front paws on the table as he wants to see your hands. The remaining Dog 3 has... two aces, weakly supported by his lone Wild Card.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »

"Ha! Well, well, that certainly is something." Bertram revealed his own hand - with the 10 and Jack in the hole, and a King, Ace, and wildcard in his hand, "A straight. Fair to say you've won, sir!"
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »

Sir Lionel hops onto the table on all fours for a moment, then walks on his hinds to the pot as the other dogs help themselves to drinks. Somewhere in the mess of deals, you've ended up with a towering mug of ale next to you. Lionel produces a small bag of holding on his belt clip and shovels half of the pot in... then passes the rest(Pot totaled to 8k, so you get your 1.5k back and 2.5k more, Bertram) to you! He sets his hands on his hips after clipping the bag back to his belt and his tail wags as he speaks, the other dogs rapt with attention at this sudden show of affection for a rival.

"You've got a lot of guts to play a real hand with me, friend! And I doubt you're some random mook walking around run down Terraforming Camps with thousands in plat. What's your game?" He picks up his own pint-sized mug and laps at it, grinning at you.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 03:13:19 PM »

Bertram drank from his ale mug. "Well, that's very kind of you to say so! I'm Bertram Sidney, pleased to make your acquaintance. In fact, I'm only passing through. My associates and I are on our way to Labyrinth, only it seems there was a bit of a mix-up, and there's no tickets for the next tram. Must do something to pass the time, after all - as I'm sure a lover of games like yourself knows!"
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »

Lionel seems a bit zoned out for a moment, staring off to the side, then he snaps his fingers. Paw. You know. "Alright! It's just the thing for it!"

He walks across the table and offers a paw to you to shak... no! He offers his mug to yours, to toast! "I'll travel with you! The tickets are in my name and you've got a charm about you!"

Latir: Yurbere and Llana gape for a moment, Yurbere saving his pipe by the absolute zenith of Dwarven discipline that such a thing as a pipe and good tobacco being wasted must never occur. Yurbere wipes at his eyes. <Ah, that the young should always take on the greatest mantles.> Llana slaps Attica on the back and whispers something to her... something about traveling with these crazy guys.

Yurbere: <I know first-hand of the valor of your character, Latir. I would be honored to help make your dream... no, the dream of all our people come true. If you have need of me at any time, just ask. I am your loyal friend for life and will tell my children of the stone in your blood until they smother me!>

An Oath of Ancestry! Zounds!

Azura: The two dopes run off to the bar to ask what kinda whiskey they got, finally giving you a bit of privacy. Roll a Perception check.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

Lionel seems a bit zoned out for a moment, staring off to the side, then he snaps his fingers. Paw. You know. "Alright! It's just the thing for it!"

He walks across the table and offers a paw to you to shak... no! He offers his mug to yours, to toast! "I'll travel with you! The tickets are in my name and you've got a charm about you!"

"I say!" said Bertram, enthusiastically toasting Lionel. "You'll be most welcome, I'm sure! They say there's no friend like the one you don't expect to meet. Come, I'll introduce you." (Said introduction will presumably take place after Latir's conversation has ended.)
...but is it art?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »

Yurbere: <I know first-hand of the valor of your character, Latir. I would be honored to help make your dream... no, the dream of all our people come true. If you have need of me at any time, just ask. I am your loyal friend for life and will tell my children of the stone in your blood until they smother me!>

<"Your help would be much appreciated, brother. Miss Duval told me the Wardens are lacking in funds, time, manpower, and political initiative. To accomplish this task may well require every dwarf in Gateway offering time and motivation to get it done... but even if all I do is lay the groundwork for a task so that my great-grandchildren can reap the benefit, I'll consider my work gladly accomplished.">

Mrs. Awesome

• nee Spectacular
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »

Azura: The two dopes run off to the bar to ask what kinda whiskey they got, finally giving you a bit of privacy. Roll a Perception check.

1d20 +15
6 + 15 = 21

She can't be sure if it's the constant stream of questions these fellas are asking her, or the drinks they've supplied her, but Azura's head is spinning just the tiniest bit. She tries to shake it off as she looks around Bar, seeing her compatriot playing cards with a pack of Fey Dogs, although she doesn't know enough about gambling to really be sure if he's bluffing or winning from across the room.

A sip of the sweet liquor actually helps to clear her head some. She supposes it is just the barrage of compliments after all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15