Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Blades Up, Fangs Down (Week 3-1)  (Read 10374 times)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Blades Up, Fangs Down (Week 3-1)
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »

Karvan shifts one square up and away, growling, "The swarm is faster, but we need to distract them, startle them, something." He then breaths a gout of [Dragon Breath] at enemies 1-5. Killing four of them outright, he sees Ilex messing with the guns and tries to remember if he's encountered similar weapons before in his career.
Karvan Dungeoneering
1d20 +9
11 + 9 = 20

If he has, he will begin attempting to assist or outright fire the guns at the swarm of crazy bugs.

6TI7
..KR  +
1...    +
...A   +

K - Karvan
A - Ardna
R - Argus
T - Tikka
I - Ilex

1/2/3/4/5/6/7 - Stirges HP 1/1  AC/F/R/W 20/20/20/20
+ - Stirge Wasps  HP 20/20   AC/F/R/W 24/24/24/24[/Pre}

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »

Tikka moves away from the controls, ducking around Karvan and Argus to angle herself toward the encroaching threats to the ship as the guns fail to take care of them.  She aligns herself with the Stirge Wasp closest to the vessel, playing a single, sharp [Staggering Note] that resonates angrily to disorient the wasp and make it fall further behind in its pursuit.

Staggering Note vs Stirge Wasp Will
1d20 + 15 Attack, 6 damage
19+15= 34, 6 damage

6.I7
..KR  +
1..T    +
...A   +

K - Karvan
A - Ardna
R - Argus
T - Tikka
I - Ilex

1/2/3/4/5/6/7 - Stirges HP 1/1  AC/F/R/W 20/20/20/20
+ - Stirge Wasps  HP 20/20   AC/F/R/W 24/24/24/24
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »

Next turn is Thursday Night!

(Since Staggering Note moves a creature back, I'll just assume it's using your Cha Mod for that and slap it back 6 spaces.)

6 Successes, 4 Failures

Success: Auto-Guns begin firing.

Argus smashes #7 and Ilex aligns the guns and then slaps some buttons, producing no results. Ever the practical one, Karvan steps over and slams a fist down upon the Automated Reloader and after a moment to insert fresh clips and align them, the small machine guns begin unleashing flak upon the approaching wasps. Tikka's Staggering Note allows an extra shot to affect the top-most one as an OA.

FLAK

1d20 +10
1: 4 + 10 = 14
2: 9 + 10 = 19
3: 20 + 10 = 30
4: 5 + 10 = 15
5: 20 + 10 = 30
6: 2 + 10 = 12
7: 17 + 10 = 27

Flak Damage

1d12 +2
12 + 2 = 14

RATATATATATATATA TWO CRITS ALKGRALHRHLGARHGRA MAX DAMAGE DIE The guns go crazy and blow away two of the wasps and injure the third.

Stirge 6 attacks Ilex futilely. Activating the guns stymies the approach of the main swarm and only two new Striges dive-bomb Karvan, with one dealing 8 Damage to him as it impacts and picks at his raw bleeding wounds. The wasp flies up to Ardna and attempts to inflict the dreaded Nose Stinger + Wasp Ass Stinger combo upon her, but is deftly parried.

More Wasps are catching up and you catch sight of two very disgusting looking Stirge... they appear to be bloated along the abdomen in the same spots as those Stirge that smeared blood upon their bellies. The bloating is caused by grotesque hive-like holes made by wriggling Strige young who, aroused by the hunt, are beginning to drift out and mass around the Brood Stirge.

.6I.
.1KR     3     B
1.2T    4
...A+   5     B

K - Karvan
A - Ardna
R - Argus
T - Tikka
I - Ilex

1/2/6 - Stirges HP 1/1  AC/F/R/W 20/20/20/20
3/4/5+ - Stirge Wasps  HP 6/20   AC/F/R/W 24/24/24/24
B - Strige Brood Lords HP 35/35  AC/F/R/W 15/15/15/15

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »

(Staggering Note is Push 2, CHA mod damage, and allows an MBA by an ally who is adjacent to the target at any point during the movement.)

Ilex turns the guns to focus on the Brood Lords and opens fire again.

Code: [Select]
Ilex Dungeoneering
1d20 +5
10 + 5 = 15

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »

(I thought doom said no skill more than once, higher skills take over? meaing my dungeneering is the check for the rest of the skill challenge... I might be wrong but it's what I remember from the last time we did this with Ottimus.)

Karvan growls, as he is stung again and lets out another thundering roar before quickly engaging the stirges bothering Ilex, he executes a [Shove and Slap], slamming his shield into 6 and then moving into his square and slapping 1 as he passes.(1's on the map 2 times) He then growls out, "We're doing well, keep those guns firing, remember to reload and realign!"

(Note: Karvan has taken 64 damage, he is very hurt(Still has 35 HP) but could use a healing surge, I'm going to second wind next round if I don't get some sort of healing from Ilex or something, Also rolled on the dice bot without putting a target number but 24 and 37 hit, and I didn't realize I was hurt until after the roll so it should have been 24 and 38)

.KI.
...R     3     B
1.2T    4
...A+   5     B

K - Karvan
A - Ardna
R - Argus
T - Tikka
I - Ilex

1/2/6 - Stirges HP 1/1  AC/F/R/W 20/20/20/20
3/4/5+ - Stirge Wasps  HP 6/20   AC/F/R/W 24/24/24/24
B - Strige Brood Lords HP 35/35  AC/F/R/W 15/15/15/15

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 05:31:43 AM »

Tikka flinches at the firing of the guns, briefly forgetting the horrors of wasp encroachment in favor of covering what passes for her ears with both hands.  That noise!  That awful, awful cacophany!  Surely this is some sort of vicious revenge for the sour note she attempted earlier!  Turning in different directions to find an angle where perhaps the sound of the guns isn't quite so abysmal, she ends up facing towards Karvan and Ilex -- the former seeming as though he's seen better days.  Adjusting the passages through her throat, expanding and narrowing the areas where air flows, Tikka thanks him profusely with the highest compliment she can give!  One of her very favorite resonating patterns!  "We're in your debt after this, Karvan!"  The [Majestic Word]s seem to restore some vigor!

.. but he's still hungry.

Majestic Word

Karvan spends a healing surge (25) and gains an additional 2d6 + 6 HP
2d6 + 6
5 + 4 + 6 = 15
15 + 25 = 40

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »

(I thought doom said no skill more than once, higher skills take over? meaing my dungeneering is the check for the rest of the skill challenge... I might be wrong but it's what I remember from the last time we did this with Ottimus.)

This is a modified challenge, I generally wanted to discourage people from hammering the same skill over and over. The Guns are already firing, so try another skill or indicate that you're using the same skill for a different/better outcome. Might want to redo your action, Karvan. Ilex.

Also, as Dragon Breath did, Minors are allowed along with Standards/Skill Challenge Skills, so take another action Tikka.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

((My action was to kill 2 stirges and yell something, did that stop being relevant?))

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »

Oops, I meant Ilex.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »

The guns seem incredibly effective despite their absolutely atrocious noise, but Tikka can't help but wonder if there isn't a greater problem at hand -- why are the stirges after them in the first place?  Incredibly territorial?  Is the hum of the engines in actuality the precise pitch and timbre of a stirge ready for copulation?  Attempting to match their frequency proved, well, a bit less fruitful than she might have liked, but the discordant sound of the guns at least gives her an idea.  The low rumble of Karvan's roar as it echoed out only drew them in, before.  Tikka attempts to make a sound, shrill and keening and not unlike something a truly massive bird might, to at the very least scatter and disorient the approaching stirge.  Or the stupider ones.  Did they have a hive mind?  Did even a hive mind have stupider pieces of it?

She was going to need to research them later!  Her curiosity was piqued!  But in the meantime, she was going to do her damndest to scare the stingers off of them.

Tikka Bluff
1d20 + 12
10 + 12 = 22

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »

(Dunno what else to do to advance the skill challenge. I'd like to do something with the ship because I assume this is a skill challenge more than a combat, but if nothing else I'll grant Ardna an MBA on Stirge 2 with Direct the Strike.)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 05:49:30 AM »

Next Turn is Monday Night!

7 Successes, 4 Failures

Success: Minions disperse briefly.

The guns open dramatically effective fire upon the wasps, removing all of them except the + one that is still attacking Ardna. It manages to impale her with both ends for 14 damage! Tikka makes some noises and the minions approaching the ship and those already on it fly away and orbit it, dim-wittedly. The Brood Lords get close enough to unleash a twin spray of insect-sized babby Stirge upon you all! Confined to a narrow space and with armor useless, everybody takes 10 damage!

The Short Holiday has traveled quite a distance during all these shenanigans. There seems to be a great stretch of land below you all now, beginning with a narrow stretch of comet-road and widening into very crudely terraformed plains below. A billow of black smoke crests the horizon, approaching from a great crooked tower that stretches at least a mile into the sky. It seems humanoids below are approaching, along with a great formless mass of some crude metal.

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »

(Are there any kind of comms on the ship that we can use to potentially get in contact with the people below us?)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »

Karvan drops his flail and shield and whips out his gun, he fires a shot at the left most brood lord while growling, "You might want to think of not piloting the ship into the ground Ilex." He chuckles as he says it, almost as if it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal.

Karvan Basic Ranged Vs Brood Lord
1d20 +14 >= 15
12 + 14 = 26 ... success

Ranged damage USING THE RIGHT DIE
1d10 +7
6 + 7 = 13

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:18 AM »

(Are there any kind of comms on the ship that we can use to potentially get in contact with the people below us?)

Comms? HAHAHAHAHA Look at this guy, he thinks it's the future or something!

Nope.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »

(Save for Karvan, a no-hitter? And you think I'm playing too much D3...)

Skill Challenge Over

Everybody takes another 10 damage as the Brood Lords continue to rain destruction upon yer heads.

The metal rig below comes to a halt and suddenly... ignites! as it unleashes a colossal, mile-high gout of gasoline-smelling flames up directly at your ship! Fortunately, your ship is made of metal and you're standing on top of it, but great streams of fire pass along either side of the ship briefly! The Stirge Swarm disperses and those Stirge attacking you on the sides of the ship are immolated horribly.

Agh! The Short Holiday is in full acceleration and slightly on fire! Some of the shittier bits of it in the under-carriage are melting! Something pops and bursts! Smoke billows out of the hold! Do something!

Argus yells: "I think it's time we landed, sprout!"

sentrygun

• let's adventure~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »

(I couldn't really think of anything that wasn't 'tell someone to hit the stirges' because everything else I could think of had been locked out. When I had nothing to do I just kind of shrugged and went to check my other PBP games. I apologize that playing mother-may-I instead of helping King of No Pants set up his own PBP game wasn't on my list of fun things to do yesterday.)

Ilex isn't terribly fond of flying a flaming ship much farther, and assuming the people who set up that fire weapon aren't essentially cavemen they were well aware that it wouldn't only do any significant damage to the stirges. They might not be the most friendly folk, but there's better ways to blow up a ship with far less effort. Land ho.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

(I couldn't really think of anything that wasn't 'tell someone to hit the stirges' because everything else I could think of had been locked out. When I had nothing to do I just kind of shrugged and went to check my other PBP games. I apologize that playing mother-may-I instead of helping King of No Pants set up his own PBP game wasn't on my list of fun things to do yesterday.)

I've told you this at least three times, directly over Steam. I will bend over backwards if you make even a mild effort, I will invent justifications and throw my chest out and if anybody cares I will "I'm the DM, I ain't gotta explain shit" them, I will play it off as a joke and give you a bonus for it. But if you're going to look at me and pout and say "I got nothing", you know what, that's fine. Sometimes you're tired, sometimes your head's empty, sometimes your wits fail. It's a play-style that takes months to run, so that's cool, you can bat it out of the park later. But if you're gonna do nothing and act like it's my problem, hahaha, nope. Considering that my one-day time limits have been blossoming to two and 1/2 days and that Mirth is once again entirely absent, I'm not really feeling very sympathetic to "I'd do something, but there's clearly nothing to do."

"As a Warlord, I could order somebody else to attack, but that's not worth doing." Considering that you specifically bought a ranged weapon to deal with situations like this and that killing the Stirge directly reduces their damage output that is wearing your group down, doing nothing is pretty lame. There was even a Wasp in melee range attacking Ardna...

"Been locked out of"? Locked out of what? The only thing I've blocked is spamming Pilot Checks after you achieved the full benefit of the most possible Piloting Check successes.

I'll assume that Latir had the sense of mind to be a mechanic about things and look the vessel over once or twice, insuring that you wouldn't do something as ridiculous as activate it's Cloud Gap Generator without making sure that the water-aligned crystals were properly set to vent at an angle to facilitate travel!

Arcana to mess with the magitech. Nature to mess with the magitech. Dungeoneering to fuck with the Engineering since I decided to make Dungeoneering more useful very recently by extending it to the ship functions. History to mess with the magitech because, hey, reading a bunch of books about vessels is as good as reading a bunch of books about the past, right. Athletics or Acrobatics to move along the side of the ship for X reason, perhaps to mess with the magitech externally.

There is also a very tiny store-room which you can put about a week's worth of rations and very strictly rationed water in, already stocked.

Throw the food overboard, no skill required. They're ravenous and mindless, right? Just because an action is not covered under skills does not mean it's impossible.

The ship is mostly mechanical but all of the air-funnel technology is magical. You can use Arcana to adjust the settings of the ship but not to pilot it, and give assists bonuses to the pilot.

Again, Arcana. Directly told to you, the players in a vague way open to favorable interpretation and wacky ideas.

Having both Tikka and Ilex at the helm is providing steady ship control, but you seem to be reaching the limit of how much you can point the ship away from the swarm and hold the accelerator down until it maxes out. Perhaps you could try to compensate for the behavior of the swarm, or fiddle about with the mechanical/arcanical bits of the ship?

Self-explanatory.

This is a modified challenge, I generally wanted to discourage people from hammering the same skill over and over. The Guns are already firing, so try another skill or indicate that you're using the same skill for a different/better outcome.

More advice.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »

Tikka was stunned.  This is something that didn't happen very often, but then, she had not been in her new frame for very long.  At one time, an injury meant simply willing the gelatinous covering her frame to return to the shape it had been prior, but being viciously stung by a creature that should have simply struck and injured itself in the process and feeling a piece of her fall off was .. new.  And yet vaguely familiar.  And yet entirely new.  The clattering piece of metal that fell to the floor refused to will itself back to her no matter how she demanded it.  Something flashed in the back of her mind, in the corrupted part of the incorruptible, the unsure part of the sure, and she was left standing stock still as though frozen, a doll with a wound down clock, as she tried to process what it meant to be hurt.  Even under the second barrage, she only moved with the impacts of the lil'est stirge themselves, dancing backward briefly and losing more bits and pieces of decrepit sewer rubble under their suicidal attack.  But having so tenuous an attachment to her, it too refused to return.  It was the fire that finally actually managed to catch her attention, the light returning to eyes as she determined that explosions may have been mildly more important than self reflection!

"We seem to be moving at an .. excessive velocity," she noted as the rig came toward them and, seemingly even quicker, the ground beneath it.  "Should we begin pushing all of those buttons that you were pressing in the reverse order to slow down?" she asked, moving with a less hurried pace than the Holiday itself was to try to make sense of the controls.  Still, there was a slight note of discomfort in her voice.  Not quite outright panic!  But she had just needed to face the reality that if she was dashed to pieces, it may not be quite so trivial to put herself back together again as it may have once been.  Trying to slow the ship down seemed prudent, but also, less likely to result from the random tugging of a lever that she had attempted earlier.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

Karvan moves towards where Tikka is and grabs the manual control yolk and begins to try to steer the ship, he tells Tikka, "DECELERATE, SLOW DOWN! USE THE BRAKE!" He tries to manually control the ship, grunting in exertion as he struggles.

Karvan Athletics to fight the ship into a controlled descent
1d20 +13
18 + 13 = 31

He growls inwardly and tries to control the ship as best he can.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8