Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fall of an American Empire  (Read 3979 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of an American Empire
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »

Tibet

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »

I say let's give the ball to... ooooh... Canada.  Oh yah, it's time for conquerin' the world now, eh?
:evil:

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »

Tibet

That's like telling me the US-led invasion of Iraq was a real war where the defenders actually had a chance.

But you have a point..

Fact Checked.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »

:wat: I tell you what, from where I sit there are big differences between the current Iraq occupation and the Tibet occupation. Can you guess what I perceive them to be? Am I being misled to my conclusions by a myopic american press?

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »

Go away, tangent involving deeper thought regarding the Iraq Occupation

Nobody likes you

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »

In about a generation China's gonna be one of the queerest nations in the world, if it isn't already brimming with shame-restricted homosexual urges.

Oh, it is.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »

There are probably more similarities than differences between the Tibet and Iranian occupations.  Both involve shaky justifications, human rights violations, puppet governments that would actually like a chance to run the place if the invaders would just go away, a general consensus among the invading nation's learned population that it's a huge mistake balanced by the general mass's unquenchable jingoism, etc. etc. etc.  I'm with SCD in not wanting to get derailed by that topic.

My point with Tibet wasn't so much a "gotcha" as it was propping up my earlier statement that the bulk of China's size is due to imperial expansion.

Nor I'm not going to ask what authority you're saying that on.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »

Just sayin' a CIA supported rebellion that got crushed in... what, four years? Popular Opinion (my finest source of apocryphal information) suggests that US forces have not been so successful in quelling Iraqi resistance.

There was a time before China was unified, if that unification doesn't count as SOMEONE winning a foreign war and expanding, I don't know what does. Of course, that's pretty clearly not what we're talking about, but I like to ramble when I am tired and my am I tired.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »

My point with Tibet wasn't so much a "gotcha" as it was propping up my earlier statement that the bulk of China's size is due to imperial expansion.

Nor I'm not going to ask what authority you're saying that on.

Cool.  You still got me there. 

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:04 AM »

I don't know how relavant to the conversation earlier regarding China is concerned, but one year, when the Reagan pulled in to port (read: sat out in the bay and sent little boats filled with people back and forth) at Hong Kong, I went on a tour of the area around Hong Kong, and the tour guide's main talking point, aside from the stuff we were actually scheduled to see, was the buying prices of 1 bedroom apartments in the fucking ginormous high-rise buildings all over the city. 

I was reading one of Brentai's posts, and this just leapt to mind.  Make of it what you will.

EDIT since I hit POST before adding a few more thoughts: I'm talking about owning that apartment like we here own a house.  Like:
 :mahboi::One day, lad, all this will be yours!
 :wheeeee::Wot, the curtains?
 :mahboi::No!  This 600 square-foot apartment!

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:20 AM »

Yeah, that's pretty normal in a lot of cities. My sister's boyfriend is selling an apartment his family owns in San Fran.

In Japan, they call them "mansions" for some reason.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »

I guess that's a bit of culture shock for me, seeing as I've always lived in places that have more than a bit of elbow room.  Episode 9 of Jerk Radio is relavant because I had considered subtitling it "Fuck San Francisco Sideways".  I spent about 3 or 4 days with a buddy of mine I met in the Navy after I got out, and during one of those days, I got in contact with Sharkey and headed downtown and spent the afternoon in a bar with him, my buddy, EmaWii, and my buddy's girlfriend.  I found time to record the above-linked episode of the podcast, two vehicles got towed because of a poorly-marked No Parking zone, and Sharkey kicking all our asses at Virtua Fighter 4 (until Vic's non-videogame-playing girlfriend started playing).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I really don't like densely populated cities.  I'd go insane in SF or NYC.  Fort Worth is good for me, and St. Mary's isn't too bad either.  It's sort of like Lemoore.  If you have a car, there's all sorts of places within an hour or two.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »

There's a pretty good reason why I finally just dropped everything and ran out of LA as fast as I could.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »

To be fair, SF is fantastic on foot. It's one of the most walkable non-European cities in existence (yes, there are big damn scary hills, but there's a reason there aren't any fat people here.) Actually driving in a place like this will make you kill the shit out of everyone who has been or ever will be born.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »

I don't drive, but my sister and her boyfriend do. Specifically, they drive like insane people, like absolutely everyone else in that godforsaken city.

I have never felt more strongly that i was going to die than when i was going out for sushi with them at Godzilla.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »

There are two kinds of city drivers. The seemingly-unaware, floor-it-to-get-where-I'm-looking-at-the-moment freakos and the I-can-never-seem-to-get-a-right-of-way, freak-out brake-tappers. I'm the former variety.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »

... By my estimation, Chicago is full of nice people who will make room for you if you need to merge and speed only reasonably.

I don't know what the hell that makes me! ::D:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »

Actually driving in a place like this will make you kill the shit out of everyone who has been or ever will be born.

Oh, so that's why? I thought it had something to do with my neglectful parents

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

Who were like that because of driving in San Francisco.  Totally.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »

Actually driving in a place like this will make you kill the shit out of everyone who has been or ever will be born.

QFT
Pages: 1 [2]