Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Calling All Internets  (Read 44002 times)

clutch

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Finding "abandonware"
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

...my roommate is also terrible at Googling.

Of course, he was still using AltaVista two years after the rest of the world switched to Google.

Someone told me about Dogpile the other day as if it something were new or useful. That shit was no good back in grade school, and just glancing at the page today (it's a slow-loader on top of the rest of its problems) it does not appear to have improved with age.

Oh, and then there was the guy that told me to use Babelfish to translate a letter I wanted to send to my French friend Fabrice. Yeah, as if I'd trust that thing again after it fucked up my essay in 6th grade Spanish.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 01:22:46 PM »

I've actually used Babelfish to carry on conversations with real French people.  The trick is not to give it full sentences or, in fact, anything approaching context.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »

Babelfish has its uses, but Google Translate is leagues better. Is "leagues" a proper measure of translation proficiency?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »

Stadia. Or li.
...but is it art?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »

Hell, if you guys ever want something translated from/to French, e-mail me and it'll probably be done within 24 hours. **Special Service!**

unless it's like a book or something, I'm not a machine

or rather, I'll do books, but you gotta pay

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »

How much would I have to pay for the entire city of Montreal?
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »

I estimate it at 12 million, plus or minus 25% depending on weather. Expenses not included, and I charge for the storage medium.

clutch

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 08:21:56 AM »

Hell, if you guys ever want something translated from/to French, e-mail me and it'll probably be done within 24 hours. **Special Service!**

But you're French-Canadian. Any translation you do will go on at tangents about sovereignty for Quebec, hockey, and poutine. You people do go on about those things.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 09:03:43 AM »

Man, we can be professional when the times demand it. Take Francis Bouillon or Patrice Brisebois as examples. Even they would resist the lure of an off-rink poutine and keep their eyes on the puck, regardless of the amount of crisp, golden fries, luscious hot gravy and mouth-watering cheese curds waiting for them. Frankly, the implication that we are limited to these topics is insulting and borderline racist; it makes me feel like we should enclose the entire province in a giant bubble and launch ourselves into space. I wouldn't even care where we'd be going as long as it's someplace where there aren't any god damned Canadians.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »

I should get you to translate the giant collection of french comic books I have. I mean, I can read them just fine, it's just that nobody else here can.

:sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 10:00:50 PM »

Lucky Luke and Asterix?

clutch

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »

Man, we can be professional when the times demand it. Take Francis Bouillon or Patrice Brisebois as examples. Even they would resist the lure of an off-rink poutine and keep their eyes on the puck, regardless of the amount of crisp, golden fries, luscious hot gravy and mouth-watering cheese curds waiting for them. Frankly, the implication that we are limited to these topics is insulting and borderline racist; it makes me feel like we should enclose the entire province in a giant bubble and launch ourselves into space. I wouldn't even care where we'd be going as long as it's someplace where there aren't any god damned Canadians.

Well, that may all be true, but I was really more concerned about dialectic differences. I didn't want to mention it because I know you guys are touchy about it.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »

You mean the fact that compared to an educated Parisian, most Quebecois sound like country bumpkins and salty sailors?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »

Everyone sounds like a country bumpkin or salty sailor to a Parisian.  Whether they're educated or not.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »

::D: I suddenly want to launch Paris into the sea.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2008, 03:44:08 PM »

You mean the fact that compared to an educated Parisian, most Quebecois sound like country bumpkins and salty sailors?

Having talked to a few real Frenchies in my short time here, apparently the Quebecois speak a mutated dialect of 17th century French. For instance, the Quebecois word for "drink" is the French word for "potion". Confirm\deny, Zed?
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »

It's mostly true, though I'm not sure about your example. The French word for potion is "potion", and I've never heard it used with a meaning other than "elixir".

A better example would be "embarquer/débarquer". In France, those words, meaning "entering/leaving a boat" ("barque" is a slightly antiquated word for "boat"), have fallen into disuse as boats became less and less a common feature of life. However, in Québec, these words are still very widely used, but we apply them to entering and getting out of cars and other vehicles. Now, for that, a Frenchman would use the more general "monter/descendre (de voiture)".

That said, if you consider accents and phonetics rather than actual vocabulary, it would appear that we are much closer to 17th century French in Québec than in France. You see, in Québec, we only live side-to-side with each other and the English. (And Native Americans, of course, but that's unfortunately very minor.) Whereas the French are surrounded by a variety of strong language populations in their own rights and their speech has evolved in reaction to this environment. I've heard Parisians say that Québec French is actually purer by comparison, for that reason.

Ironically, we in Québec are often shocked at how much the French are borrowing from the English. They say "shopping" where we would say "magasinage", "parking" where we would say "stationnement", "e-mail" where we would say "courriel", and so on. It's really quite strange. Maybe we've grown more defensive and protective of our linguistic heritage. We can't take it for granted, or we risk losing it.

Still, France French and Québec French are best described at twin brothers, separated at 10 years old and growing up in different families afterwards. There are definitely differences, but it takes only minimal effort for a Québécois (or any other Francophone, really) to adjust his speech and be understood in any French-speaking country in the world.

EDIT:

Parisians think anyone from outside Paris sound like country bumpkins and salty sailors. That includes every other region of France. (Marseillais have a great accent, by the way. Very expressive and somewhat fun to hear.)

You know the difference between God and a Parisian? God doesn't think he's a Parisian.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Calling All Internets
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2008, 04:08:02 AM »

I love the Québec accent. I always prefer it over regular French as the languge sounds like it's enjoying itself more. Plus, it's not really that odd to have a bias in favour of one's countrymen, I suppose.

Oh and Newfies (Newfoundlanders) speak with a horrendous accent. The funny thing is that they're in the same boat as Québec: At first glance hearing, it soulds like horrible degraded redneck patois (only eastern maritime, as opposed to southern drawl or mountain gibberish), except it turns out that of all the English dialects spoken over the entire planet, Newfie speech is the closest to pure Middle English*.

*I'm pretty sure that the gross overuse of the word 'bye' (boy), is just a Newfie thing though.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2008, 04:13:42 AM »

Lucky Luke and Asterix?

No nublet, those can easily be obtained in English, as can Tintin and Moebius. Series like that are just the tiny tip of a gigantic iceberg.

The French/European comics industry is no less productive than the North American or Japanese ones, but they do seem to make it outside of Europe far less than the competition makes it out of their respective home zones.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2008, 04:41:48 AM »

European companies in general seem to be pretty lasseiz-faire about international publishing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28