Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58

Author Topic: What's Cookin'?  (Read 88809 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What's Cookin'?
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »

Double Post.

We made an impressive roast chicken spread, with a large variety of vegetables and a large side of excellent baked beans for Canuckistani thanksgiving. Also made PIE of AWESOME. With real whipped cream (if you have never had real whipped cream and think that the canned aerosol spooge is equivilant, you live a tragic and impoverished life).

The best part is that the recipes were all my wife's. The vegetarian. I mean, she didn't eat any chicken, but she selected the stuff for purchase and prepared it all. I just did grunt work.

Between this and the bacon, I think I'm some kind of champion of cultural subversion.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

The best part is that the recipes were all my wife's. The vegetarian. I mean, she didn't eat any chicken, but she selected the stuff for purchase and prepared it all. I just did grunt work.

Well, yeah. I still remember some recipes from my pre-vegan days. I know how to make a cheesecake that's so good it destroys the springform pan you make it in.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2008, 10:17:13 AM »

The best way to make bacon is to bake a whole pack, all at the same time and constantly drain the grease.

This maximises bacon flavour and minimizes the 'random greasy hog fat' non-flavour.

The best part is that my mother taught me this recipe. Did I mention that my mother is a muslim.

Just a note: save that fucking bacon grease. IT MAKES ANYTHING YOU COOK WITH IT TASTE BACONY.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2008, 07:02:10 PM »

With real whipped cream (if you have never had real whipped cream and think that the canned aerosol spooge is equivilant, you live a tragic and impoverished life).

do you mean taking a mason jar, filling it a quarter of the way with heavy cream, and shaking it?  because yeah.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2008, 07:07:05 PM »

With real whipped cream (if you have never had real whipped cream and think that the canned aerosol spooge is equivilant, you live a tragic and impoverished life).

do you mean taking a mason jar, filling it a quarter of the way with heavy cream, and shaking it?  because yeah.

I actually have a food mixer I employ for the purpose, but basically, yeah.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:02 PM »

So the lovely thing about living a block from a fishing dock is that the fish 'r' cheep. 

15 dollars gets you a pound and a half of sashimi-grade wild tuna. 

Half a pound makes me about 8 rolls at eight slices per roll. 

I had a pretty spot-on smorg last friday with half a pound of unfrozen to spare :D

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »

TEACH ME HOW YOU FISH!* :ohshi~:

It's kind of sad actually, I've been craving fish lately, but I guess I find the idea of baking pre-cut frozen salmon to be intimidating.

I guess I am a food wuss.
Does anyone have any ideas they'd want to recommend other than putting garlic and a slab of butter on them?

*Teach this man to fish. And then how to cook that fish. He is hungry.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2008, 11:23:11 PM »

He said sashimi, Classic.  Don't be a tool.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2008, 01:33:18 AM »

Not that you can't put garlic and a slab of butter on sashimi if you really want to.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »

So the lovely thing about living a block from a fishing dock is that the fish 'r' cheep. 

15 dollars gets you a pound and a half of sashimi-grade wild tuna. 

Half a pound makes me about 8 rolls at eight slices per roll. 

I had a pretty spot-on smorg last friday with half a pound of unfrozen to spare :D

:MENDOZAAAAA:
I love fish and live in Toronto.  :sadpanda:

EDIT: Okay it could be worse, I could always be back in Winnipeg.  :ohshi~:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

Just a note: save that fucking bacon grease. IT MAKES ANYTHING YOU COOK WITH IT TASTE BACONY.

A chef I worked with once told me that bacon grease is the secret ingredient in the best croissants.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »

... :wat: I'm no chef, but... did he mean as a glaze? Or as an embedded agent in the puff pastry dough?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

As much as I love bacon and croissants, I hate croissants that taste like bacon.  And yes, I can tell when you're doing that shit.  Cut it out.

(And I think he means using the bacon grease as a coating for the pan instead of vegetable oil or whatever.  Pretty typical, but doesn't work for a lot of things.  Like croissants, you fucks.)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2008, 05:39:37 PM »

... :wat: I'm no chef, but... did he mean as a glaze? Or as an embedded agent in the puff pastry dough?

That's the secret.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »

There is a world of difference between baked goods made with animal shortening and those made with vegetable shortening. If you haven't had a pie made with lard, then you haven't had a pie at all.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2008, 05:18:40 PM »

I made some fried rice!  :9
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »

What did you make it with? :9

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »

rice, chicken, egg, bean sprouts, secret spices
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2008, 03:03:52 AM »

I made sugar cookies, but the dough was like a million little clumpy flakes of flour, sugar, egg and butter. Even after I added an extra egg, I had to manually press and squeeze these flakes so they'd hold together into little balls.

Somehow the cookies ended up completely delicious anyway. I'm beginning to suspect my hidden superpower is that I am incapable of fucking up a cookie recipe no matter how badly I handle it.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »

Two boxes of scalloped potatoes.
1 package of ham steaks (4 in pack)
Carton of milk
Half stick of butter

Measuring cup
Deep baking pan.  16"x8" or so
Cutting board
Big knife

Set oven to 450 degrees so it can preheat.

Put 4 and 1/2 cups of water into a plastic mixing bowl.  Drop your half-stick of butter into it.  Microwave it for five minutes.  Water gets hot, butter melts.

While that is going, crack open one box of the potatoes, scatter the potato slices along the bottom of the pan.

Put your ham steaks in a stack on a cutting board, dice them up as you prefer.  I like leaving them as big bits you can stick a fork into.

Scatter the entirety of the diced ham over the first layer of potatoes.

Empty and scatter the second package of potatoes on top.

Pull that bowl out of the microwave, add the spice packets to the mixture, and add 2/3rd cups of milk.  Stir a bit then gently pour over contents in pan.

Bake for 25 minutes at 450 degrees.

Those bits of ham are cheese-infused by the time it's done baking.  Serves 6-8 people.  Cheap to make, and usually a crowd pleaser.

For half-batch, use one box.  2 and 1/4 cups of water, quarter stick butter, and 1/3rd cup of milk.  Use 8" x 8", perfect in a disposable foil baking pan for small parties.

Optional: a very fine amount of Italian seasoning can tweak the flavor.  Have not experimented with making a spicy version, but I'm thinking a dash of red pepper and a touch of cumin powder might do the trick before baking.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58