Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 119

Author Topic: PET PEEVES FUCK  (Read 166934 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: PET PEEVES FUCK
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »

I use they just because I'm used to it, and I like the impersonality of it (implying that an unknown person is really just a mindless collection of entities sort of helps stave off some assumptions about them).  Sometimes, though, when I'm writing about games or such, I'll make a point of using "he" when referring to people like players - because I want to enforce the assumption that the player is a thinking human.  Obviously I'm not trying to say that the player can't be female, but it's either that or he/she, which tips an already too-formal rant into the region of full-on essays.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »

Some people advocate the use of "hir" or "sie".  These people should be shot.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »

Actually those pronouns were invented to refer to hermaphrodites.

Obviously people who honestly use them spend too damn much time talking about hermaphrodites, and yes, should be shot.  Unless of course they (he/she/sie) are (is a) hermaphrodite(s) themselves (him/her/hirself), in which case they (sie) probably don't (doesn't).

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »

Unrelated pet peeve: when people stretch the picture to fit their widescreen TV.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2008, 09:25:40 PM »

Apparently I can't complete a defrag because of a 50 meg file spread across over 1000 pieces.

i have 40 gigs out 150 left, who is fucking your problem is what I'm asking ASSHOLE DICK

:deepbreath:

That is not actually a genuine issue but I am hell of OCD about fragmentation for some reason.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »

Crocs.

Fucking Crocs.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »

Crocs.

Fucking Crocs.

"Snakes... why'd it have to be snakes?"

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2008, 02:37:14 PM »

Apparently I can't complete a defrag because of a 50 meg file spread across over 1000 pieces.

i have 40 gigs out 150 left, who is fucking your problem is what I'm asking ASSHOLE DICK

:deepbreath:

That is not actually a genuine issue but I am hell of OCD about fragmentation for some reason.
(Compressionless) RAR the fucker into a new file and delete the original.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »

That is a good idea that I wish I had thought of. Though I did find Auslogics Disk Defrag in the interval, and it fixed everything. It is basically magic. This pet peeve has become a pet joy!

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »

I had an interpersonal communications teacher who advocated an all-inclusive pronoun. It was a combination of he she and it: Shit.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »

I think the best way to go with this whole pronoun gender thing is to declare all the current masculine pronouns to be gender-neutral and make up a new set of masculine pronouns.  People alive today would be confused for a while, but it'll be natural to the next generation of kids learning English and every one thereafter.  Also, it'll make all uses of he, his, and him in writing more politically correct.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:48 PM »

Dude's got a point.  I am intrigued by dude's ideas and wish to subscribe to dude's newsletter.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2008, 10:43:28 PM »

Speech impediments bug the hell out of me. It is insensitive of me. I acknowledge this about myself.
...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2008, 07:10:28 AM »

"Snakes... why'd it have to be snakes?"

Hee hee. Just like Koipond's deck.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »

....okay, that hurt.

Why is my internet still working?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:39 PM »

I just changed my video card and added a gig of ram. I'm pumped about it, but my fingers are hell of sore from all the pushing on sharp corners and narrow fragile edges and tiny power plugs. There should be rubber or plastic caps on there, such as little pads mounted on the corners, just to get some surface area to work with. I would pay up to a dollar for it to be standard issue on computer hardware I buy.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:37 PM »

If anybody could do it, then installation nerds would slowly run out of ways to charge friends-of-family to make a quick buck on weekends. :(

Also they would cost more as a result.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »

I just changed my video card and added a gig of ram. I'm pumped about it, but my fingers are hell of sore from all the pushing on sharp corners and narrow fragile edges and tiny power plugs. There should be rubber or plastic caps on there, such as little pads mounted on the corners, just to get some surface area to work with. I would pay up to a dollar for it to be standard issue on computer hardware I buy.

I just did this exact same thing.  For a marginal improvement.  Oh, my creaky computer.

luckily i do not think fry's employees will suspect anyone of buying marginal but quick and easy upgrades to their computer just so they can game better at quake con, then return them about a week later to use the returned funds toward a much better upgrade.  FIENDISH.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »

Upgrade report!
Oblivion: max settings woo! -> :8D:
Bioshock: smooth enough to make ladies swoon and gentlemen weep -> :8D:
Dwarf Fortress: lag diminished by an order of magnitude -> :8D:
Audiosurf: invariably dies and forces reboot within seconds -> :enraged: :painful: :tears:

EDIT: As suggested in the official forums, I turned the sound effects off. That fixed it. So, yeah, more ram + video upgrade = sound issues. Man do I love computers.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

I just did this exact same thing.  For a marginal improvement.  Oh, my creaky computer.

luckily i do not think fry's employees will suspect anyone of buying marginal but quick and easy upgrades to their computer just so they can game better at quake con, then return them about a week later to use the returned funds toward a much better upgrade.  FIENDISH.

Hey, you're the reason Best Buy has a fee on refunds, thanks.

Also Zed are you using Motherboard sound or a sound card?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 119