Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!  (Read 33868 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »

Hold on, though, because before you can fly anywhere...

Brent: Wait!
Kabage: What is that?
Mongrel: It's a white flag.

White flag, Red Wings. Which color do you trust?

Needless to say some characters are going to be named two things until I can get them in my party and to a Namingway.

Mars: Heh! So you're still among the living.
Niku: Mars! You little maggot!
Brent: Where's Friday?
Mars: If you want her back, bring me the Earth Crystal.
Brent: What!?
Mongrel: You shameless dog!
Mars: I will come to you once you have the Crystal in your possession. And if Friday means anything to you, you'll get that Crystal.
Kabbage: Why, you...!
Brent: Wake up, Mars!
Mars: I have nothing else to say to you.

Brent: Niku, set a course northwest... to Troia.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

Let's Listen: Final Fantasy IV (DS) - Airship Theme (Extended)

Niku instead goes... directly south! Seriously, we have an airship now, you expect the next part to be linear?

So that's why everyone's so short!

Blick: According to a famous saying, there are two sides to everything. Even this world...
Flick: Supposedly, our ancestors came from the other world. There world also has a sun, called Magma.
Whick: I hear our ancestors came from the mountain to the north, out of the crater, which is sealed now. I don't suppose it matters because you need an airship to get there anyway.
Glick: It's so peaceful here in Agart, though we do have earthquakes at times.
Plick: I'm strong! My grandpa's grandpa's grandpa was really strong, too!
Quee: What? You wanna know how our ancestors came here? Well, it's a funny story... Um... Darn, I seem to have forgotten the tale...
Snick: Maybe I'm short because my ancestors were dwarves. I wish my ancestors were ogres. Then I would've been really tall!
Naseweis: We cannot live without the blessing of the sun, although our ancestors might disagree.
Latir: There is an ancient saying: "Only when the sun's stone is returned will the path to the native land emerge."
Huckepack: Without darkness, light cannot exist. There is day and there is night. There are the laws of nature. These are the words of our ancestors.

Rule of life. No change rule.

The equipment for sale in Agart is utter crap. Kain started the game with a full set of Iron equipment, so this stuff was obsolete as soon as I got to Mist Valley.

Corio: One moon has no sign of life or activity. But the other has traces of life, and is turning a reddish color... A color similar to that of blood... I can't escape this sense of foreboding...

Looks fine to me.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »

My, that's a big tower.

There's another tiny town, across the shoals from a cave.

Everyone here is either miniaturized, a pig, or a frog.

Tiny Girl: I'm the prettiest girl in this village! I'm so small that you can't tell? Come closer and look!
Tiny Dad: Having a beautiful daughter isn't easy, I tell you. I have to protect her from all the scum out there!

Don't do it, Brent! You'll only end up making a mess!

Pig Smelter: Mr. Frog, Mr. Little, and I work to gather, refine, and process mythril to make armor and weapons.
Tiny Rubbernecker: Hoity-toity! Are you all giants?
Hungry Frog: I can't imagine how much you have to eat to fill up a body as big as yours.
Well-traveled Frog: Mythril Mountain lies far to the north. Although with your long legs, it'll take you much less time than it takes us!

Naturally, all the equipment here is made of mythril. It's a significant upgrade to what everyone's wearing, but it's expensive stuff. A suit of mythril mail for either Brent or Niku is 17,000 gil!

I see what you did there, item shop.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »

Um... hey... there's Mist.  ::(:

Yeah... who knows how that could have happened?

Frank the Summoner: It is rumored that a summon mighty enough to kill with a single blow rests beneath the ground of Baron.
Matt the Summoner: Has the history of the summoners of Mist come to an end...?
Ed the Summoner: The creatures called by summoners come from the Land of Summons, which exists deep underground.

There's not much here to buy. Bard's Tunics have all the defensive powers of plain clothes, and no one in the party can use the whips that the weapon shop sells.

There are items hidden in the tall grass scattered around, but they're mostly... Bomb Fragments.  :;_;:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »

Near the very large tower is a ruined castle.

Looks like this place was raided and looted already, but some treasures are still hidden behind secret passages.

Like this one in the throne room, and the other one opposite it.

I'm walking on the outside of a castle tower, which seems like a risky proposition. On the other hand, they had passages from the inside of the castle walls to the outside and back again, so it's no wonder this place got smashed up so bad.

Well, crap.

It's full of recurring monsters! Both the Lamia and the curly-cats are fond of status ailments, the Lamia with confuse and paralysis and the Coeurls equipped with their standard Blaster.

If Mongrel lives long enough to get a Tornado off, I can two-hit anything.

Whew.

That was pointless. ::(:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »

Not every chest in Eblan has monsters in it, but there sure are a lot of monster chests too.

The Mad Ogres get an ambush, and do nothing but hit for several hundred HP each turn.

Splat. Mongrel got to Tornado one of them, but the follow-up attack for the kill never came. That's how fast these guys are.

One more monster-in-a-box, with another big mob of enemies I shouldn't be fighting yet.

Mongrel's Tornado and Kabbage's kick take out the golem, while Brent and Mongrel casting Cura spells does wonders for the skellingtons.

If I'd remembered this was here I wouldn't have bought a mythril sword for Brent.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »

Kabbage: I am fine, thanks to their help.
Kabbage's Wife: You guys are like my husband's guardian angels!

Mostly Brent, since it was an entirely different group of people saving his bacon the first time.

Kabbage: And you? Are you alright?
Kabbage's Wife: Yeah. Them Baron bozos ain't never comin' back! I gave 'em a helluva thumpin' with my non-stick frying pan!

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »

Kabbage's Wife: You guys are like my husband's guardian angels!

Mostly Brent, since it was an entirely different group of people saving his bacon the first time.

My wife... can't really tell foreigners apart. It's sort of a Thing.

We also sleep in separate beds, yet share the same chamberpot. She keeps potions IN that shared chamberpot, which I no longer even bring up because she just yells at me and hits me with the frying pan.

She's definitely a handful. But, well, she keeps my firewood chopped and neatly stacked, and on the rare occasions that we get down to Kung-Fuckin', I am allowed to fist her with just... reckless abandon. That's honestly all I really want out of life.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »

This is going to be an amazing LP.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »

Set a course northwest. For Troia.

Welcome to Our Town!
Since either YouTube or the forum script that links to videos makes them gargantuan in these forum windows, I think I'll start linking to the YouTube page instead.

Man, that's a lousy equipment selection you've got there. Even the Iron gear in Agart has better defense.

Why would you even do that?

Can and do! The rumors floating about are that these chocobos can't fly, but wild blacks can.

These, being domesticated, say "Kweh".

Not far away is a lady looking for "grandpa, that old codger". He's hiding in the reeds spying on swimmin' wimmin'.

The bottom half of the sprites flicker when they're in water. Sometimes you might screencap it when they're flickered on, so that it looks like they're standing on the surface instead. :whoops:

But it's not a harp. It looks more like... a weed. A whispering weed. Whisperweed, you might call it... in a later translation.

There's a well-stocked pub and gentlemen's club in Troia. You can buy a Membership pass for the back room for 10,000 gil, but I spent all my money on other stuff.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »

Music: Troian Beauty

It's a nice castle, although it's hard to tell with this limited tileset. There are frogs swimming around in the water. (Although again, they look like they're walking around on it instead...)

Hey! I know a prince from Damcyan! I figured he broke every fragile bone in his waifish body the instant he hit the water, though.

Eh, what are the odds?

That explains the thriving tourist industry in town, I think.

Really? Your uniform awfully impractical.

...oh.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

Edward Romo!

Wait a minute Romosome is a dog not a beautiful prince what is going on here

Mongrel: You cannot help us in that condition, though. You'd only burden us!
Romo: bark bark bark bark bark! (Mongrel... I can't begin to ask for your forgiveness. Anna died because of me...)
Mongrel: ...
Romo: *whine* (I can never atone for that.)
Kabbage: Romo, your health should be your greatest concern now. You should get your rest.
Romo: bark bark! (Kabbage... So we all survived... Where is Rydia Lyrai?)
Kabbage: ...
Romo: bark bark bark bark! (...I see. I wish I had been there to help you out during your battles...)
Niku: Hey, I heard you took mighty good care of Brent and Friday! I appreciate it! Let me repay you. With me and my Enterprise, we can rise above anything!

I see what you did there.

Romo: Arf woof woof. Bark bark! (You must be Cid, the airship engineer. ...Wait! Does this mean we have an airship!? Brent, whatever became of Friday?
Brent: Golbez proposed a trade. He will return Friday in return for Troia's Crystal. But the Crystal lies in the hands of the Dark Elf.

Dude, spoilers. I haven't talked to the people who tell us that yet.

Romo: *whine...* Bark bark! (The Dark Elf... Brent, you must take this.)
Brent: What is it?
Romo: Arf arf, bark. (It is the only way I can be of any help right now.)

Romo: Bark bark. (Brent, please save Friday.)

Yeah, tell me about it.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

Guess I'd better go see some clerics about a Crystal. Unlike the other nations in the world and their traditional monarchies, Troia is ruled by a council of eight clerics. Who are all sisters. So that's kind of weird.

Darn, I'll have to leave my silver lockbox at home.

Yyyes... borrow the Crystal...

Sure enough, their Crystal room is empty already.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »

North of Troia, through forests and over hills, is this tiny thicket.

It's easier to tell this is a black chocobo as it's running around. Compare it to the traditional yellow one below, I guess?

Music: Samba de Chocobo
These videos play automatically on their own pages, so mousewheel-click or Control-click to open a new tab while you read the LP. Yeah, that's a lot more convenient.

While you can fly anywhere in the world on a black chocobo that doesn't involve crossing a mountain range, and land in any forest, we covered pretty much everything with the airship already. There's nowhere to go but to the Dark Elf's lair, just across a channel to the east.

Kabbage: My claws appear to be unaffected.
Mongrel: Fear not! We stand invincible with my magic!

As advertised, equipping anything made of metal -- including iron, silver, or our new mythril equipment -- causes a permanent and unremoveable paralysis status in combat. So no expensive mythril armor, no silver armlets for Mongrel or Kabbage, no swords or hammers. The metal tips of arrows and monk claws don't count, so right now Cid has a bow and arrow set instead of his Mythril Hammer. Everyone is in Kenpogi and Twist Headbands, which is fine for Mongrel and Kabbage but subpar for Niku and Brent. Ruby Rings have taken the place of Mythril Gloves or Silver Armlets on everyone's arms.

I've read that the Ancient Sword found in the Old Waterway in Baron doesn't count as metal. Wish I'd have kept it instead of pawning it for cash to buy Mythril gear now.

Brent has a Healing Staff, which I think is made of wood and thus okay in this dungeon...

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »

Brent can use a bow too.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »

He can, and there's a Great Bow in the inventory in case the Healing Staff counts as metal. But given how useful low-grade but free partywide healing can be in this sort of game, he may be better off doing that than plinking out weak arrow attacks.

(This was removed in the DS version, where bows become Rosa-exclusive equipment rather than universal potential that Rosa just happens to be better with.)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »

i miss my wife

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »

It's lonely out in space, on such a timeless flight.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2013, 04:43:10 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuX34JX-8o

Oops, forgot something on Mongrel.

Yep, there's your problem.

While the whole party is suffering with subpar armor and weapons, the monsters get the usual next-dungeon level-up. Here are Mind Flayers, fond of doing typical Mind Flayer things. Like Goblins, Bombs, and Cockatrices, they have a very low chance of dropping a summon emblem. Which will be helpful if I ever get a summoner back in the party.

It's a damned tough dungeon, so a save point midway is a welcome sight.

If I were a Dark Elf, I'd fill the dungeon with all sorts of tempting equipment made of metal that my enthusiastic raiders would immediately equip and get bogged down by my magical magnetic field. Instead the only equippable item in the cave is a monk claw.

The Draculady was properly aligned in the SNES version, where it looked like she was hanging from the ceiling instead of floating a foot away from it.

The end of the dungeon is... a crystal room? How'd the Dark Elf build all this?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2013, 04:46:52 AM »

Dark Elf: ...get the crysTAL. You canNOT deFEAT me with those weaPONS.
Kabbage: We shall see about that.
Mongrel: Let's see how he likes my magic spells!

We come out swingin'!

Um... no...?

Aw, weak! Tornado isn't a multitarget spell when Mongrel casts it!

Brent: I need my sword.
Mongrel: Ugh...

Then even Brent falls, and the screen goes black...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26