Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!  (Read 33885 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »

what does this have to do with final fantasy 4

If you don't think discussing the minutiae of localization choices is germane to discussions of Final Fantasy 4, you either have not been paying attention for the past twenty years or are completely spoony.

I am probably the only person on this board to play FF4 DS to absolute completion, I am entirely aware of the minute localization changes, and I am also aware, we have a perfectly functional existing Final Fantasy thread which has yet to have any of the translation discussion that we're going to encounter in the other GBA FFs, especially 5 when it went full meme.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »

Or -- OR -- instead of posting in a 53-page-long monster dump thread whose last new post was a year ago, we could keep it in the thread where we're already talking about it and have screenshots of the things we're talking about as an immediate visual reference.

Does anyone else besides Lyrai have a problem with conversations about FF4 occurring in the FF4 LP thread?  I grant I haven't jumped in on a whole bunch of these, so maybe I'm breaching protocol and don't know it, but...it strikes me that R^2 can't be posting updates every hour of every day, and the purpose of putting it on a discussion board is for discussion.  Otherwise it would just be a blog.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

I could just crosspost to my new website at www.r2lp.me.

Wait that's not a real site is it

No... okay.

I could just crosspost to my new website at www.r2lp.me.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »

A musician would probably not refer to a lyre as a harp (so I suppose that, strictly speaking, Edward should refer to it as a "lyre" and correct people who call it a harp).  But everybody else would.

he's a TREASURE HUNTER
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

Back on more important things: with the new system I can't get musical accompaniment on my phone.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »

A bit of umbrage towards the idea that I didn't 100% ff4 DS, though. Just a bit. Otherwise, I was enjoying SEMANFEST FF4.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »

Someone else played it three times fully?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »

Everyone in this thread has probably played Final Fantasy 4 a truly embarrassing number of times.

Just maybe not that specific version.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:14 AM »

Once more, any airship journey is interrupted by the Red Wings approaching. If you have somewhere to go after the Dark Elf -- say, to Mythril to buy the rest of your armor set -- do it before you go to see the clerics.

Brent: Here. Where's Friday?
Mars: In the Tower of Zot. Follow me.

Niku: Come out!
Mars: Now now. First, Master Golbez would like a word.
Mongrel: Golbez!
Golbez: Well done, Brent. You have exceeded even my expectations.
Mongrel: Wretch! Show yourself!
Golbez: Rosa stands beside me at the top of this tower. Bring the Crystal here, and we will make the trade.
Brent: She had better be safe!
Golbez: You had best hurry. Or else something... unfortunate might happen to her.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 28, 2013, 05:24:29 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MnRswVtws
The dungeon music is unique, a remix of Golbez's theme. If you're not paying close attention, you might be fooled into thinking it's the game's final dungeon: unique graphics and music, the four crystals are all accounted for, you know the villain is waiting for you at the top.

On the other hand, you're still pretty low level and you're still finding some pretty mediocre equipment.

Oh no the only door leads to this tiny room what do I do I am trapped y can't Metroid crawl

It might just be my terrible luck, but monsters here seem to get ambushes and back attacks a lot. This is a problem when it puts Mongrel on the front row, where he can get easily crushed by a couple of physical hits.

Surprise, there are a lot of monster boxes strewn about.

The Fiery Hound looks like the Cold Beasts from two shots ago (only orange instead of blue), I just happened to get this shot while the sprite flashed for its attack.

Yeah, that's more like it. Also: ow.

Your reward is a weapon for Brent that makes fighting Cold Beasts easier!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:36 AM »

Kabbage's maximum HP set up a joke that would have been a little funnier if I'd done this LP ten years ago.

Did I ever talk about Niku's battle abilities? Because he kind of doesn't have any. He can Fight and Item like anyone else, and his only unique is to cast Scan at an enemy. This fight with physical- and magical-resistant slimes is the first time that's been particularly useful... and even then, I only need that information once.

In the DS version, he can also Upgrade his weapon to turn himself into something like the Mystic Knights from Final Fantasy 5. By consuming an item like a Bomb Fragment or Wrath of Zeus, he enchants his weapon with elemental properties for the rest of the battle.

When I was a kid playing this on an SNES, I always liked enemies that summoned other enemies because I got to kill things for the EXP and money without having to wander back and forth looking for new fights. I'd usually stay in a fight with one of these Puppeteers for about an hour, letting them bring more Puppets into the fight over and over.

In the SNES version, the Summon was something that automatically happened once in a while, so disabling the Puppeteer from attacking (with a Mini spell like this one!) was a good long-term strategy. Now the Summon is an active ability of the Puppeteer, so Mini disables it -- but it's an active ability that replaces the Puppeteer's attacks, so I don't need Mini anymore anyway.

But! Rather than grind for hours on fights like this, though, I just take a break for a while in an easy, controllable fight while Tellah restores everyone's HP with his Healing Staff and gets his own MP back by using Osmose on the Puppeteer.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »

We need the heal up, because right around the corner...

Magus Sister: Mindy! Sandy! Cindy! We're afraid your journey is over. We will take your Crystal. Say goodbye to your Friday. Delta Attack!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2013, 05:52:50 AM »

The three Sisters have a Delta Attack, but it's not a combination of all three at once like you see in later iterations of the Final Fantasy combat engine.

Instead, their Delta Attack is for Sandy to set up Reflect on Cindy, then have Mindy bounce -ra level black magic off of it at the party.

Meh.

Tellah sets up some basic defenses that cut even that mediocre damage output in half.

Sandy tries to set up Reflect on Cindy every time the girls initiate a Delta Attack, but after the first time, the new Reflect bounces off the old one. Now Mongrel can counter their strategy by bouncing his -ga level magic off of Niku.

The Magus Sisters have another trick up their sleeves, though: if Sandy or Mindy are slain first, Cindy will revive them at full health. So Cindy is always the first target to go.

After Cindy drops -- cutting off the use of Delta Attack, even though spells would bounce just as well off Sandy or Mindy -- the rest of the fight is a snap. Mindy reverts to using lesser black magic, and Sandy's physical attacks are nothing to write about.

If you'd done that to Mongrel upfront that would have made this fight much harder! But you're Berserking one of my prime fighters when you're the only target left. :hurr:

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2013, 06:20:55 AM »

HOLY PH|_||_||_||_||_||_|< |< |< Z 00 R

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2013, 06:30:51 AM »

Well so did I, but you don't hear ME bragging about it.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2013, 06:37:49 AM »

i just murdered a child

You can almost read my sprite as covering his mouth and clutching his chest at the sight of the carnage.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:40 AM »

i miss my wife

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »

A bit of umbrage towards the idea that I didn't 100% ff4 DS, though. Just a bit. Otherwise, I was enjoying SEMANFEST FF4.
Everyone in this thread has probably played Final Fantasy 4 a truly embarrassing number of times.

Just maybe not that specific version.

Well yeah, but that specific version has stuff that you can only do on the third playthrough.  That's why it's a thing!  That's also why fuck that.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »

Being that they're the demonic servants of the Fiend of Air, you can comfort yourself knowing that that little girl was probably hundreds of years old already.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26