Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!  (Read 33888 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »

Brent: The tower!
FuSoYa: We are too late!
D.Ni: What do you mean, "too late"!?
FuSoYa: The Giant of Babel will come forth!

Well maybe if you weren't just sitting around on your ass for those countless eons and built a landing pad anywhere near your palace so we didn't have to walk through all those damned moon-caves we would have made it on time!

Oh shit, it's Kamen Rider!

Breast Cannon!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »

Tanks! A lot!

You have to get the Sylph summon before going to the moon, because Kabbage is otherwise recovered and doesn't need to be wanged on the head with a frying pan after this scene.

A fleet of airships joins the fight!

MCE: The elder restored us.
Elder: This battle is not yours alone! Everyone must fight for the sake of survival!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »

FuSoYa: Now is our chance to enter the Giant of Babel!
D.Ni: I get it! We're going for the core, right? Its heart!
Brent: Niku!

An airship flies close to the Lunar Whale, allowing everyone to board the smaller craft.

Niku: Who is he?
Brent: FuSoYa, guardian of the Lunarians.
Niku: A Lunarian?
FuSoYa: Can you do this or not?
Niku: Ahh, keep your beard on. There's nothing I can't do!

Gulp. Here we are on the tongue of a ten-story-tall robot from the moon.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »

Music: Within the Giant

Through the teeth, past the gums...

Searchers behave like the Security Eyes from before. Hit them and they sound an alarm to bring another monster into the fight, in this case a Giant Soldier.

10 MP isn't much of a difference to people who aren't Mongrel.

Wait... mouth, throat, chest, stomach... "inner path"? Ewwwww!

I... I'm pretty sure I've never seen this monster before, ever.

That went well!

I usually do some leveling here, looking for Searchers who summon strong monsters to fight. Giant Soldiers are hard to come by, but Centaurions aren't, and they're worth kind of a lot of experience each.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 03, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »

Rubicante!

Barbariccia!

I don't like where this is going...

Brent: The Elemental Lords!
Scarmiglione: Indeed.
Cagnazzo: Master Zemus blessed us with a second life.

Second Life? Well, that explains why one of you is an animal hybrid, one of you is a scantily-clad woman, and two of you are the sort of things third-graders draw in their class notebooks...

Dammit, enemies are not supposed to learn from the heroes how to effectively kill things!

Rubicante, ever the gentleman, restores you to full HP and MP for the fight. Granted, there was a save point on the last screen, but it's the thought that counts.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 03, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »

Music: Appearance of Golbez's Four Lords of Elements. Well hell, I've been quoting it through the whole LP.

The order you fight the Elemental Lords in is a small nod to Final Fantasy 1 -- they come at you in this battle in the order of Earth, Fire, Water, Wind -- the intended sequence of Fiends from the first game. Anyway, Scarmiglione still burns real good.

And as an undead, he... absorbs holy spells what the

Yeah Lyrai, you show 'em.

OKAY STOP SHOWING HIM ALREADY

Rubicante likes to split up his Glare attacks now, so it's rather less dangerous. I have to people in the party who can cast Curaga and Curaja, too.

If Rubicante can close his cloak in this battle, he never gets the chance.

Guys if you want to be a challenge you have got to stop having obvious weaknesses to my top-tier magic.

So they do! Barbariccia is in her tornado form for the entire battle, and without anyone who can jump up and hit her in the head to knock her out of it, physical attacks are useless.

She doesn't wait for a missed attack to Maelstrom the party, though. It's just part of her routine now.

She has an elemental weakness, but not an obvious one: holy. It's strange, but less strange than the SNES version, where she inherited Cagnazzo's weakness to electricity.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »

Left to its own, uh, devices... the CPU does nothing but cast Reflect on itself. The Attack Node is fond of Piercing Laser across the whole party for a few hundred points of damage. The Defense Node will often Restore the CPU for about 3000 HP. If you ever defeat both the Attack and Defense Nodes, the CPU will use an attack called Globe199 twice. Since Globe199 does 9999 damage to its target, this always kills two party members... before it restores both Nodes and begins the battle anew.

As FuSoYa says, taking out the Defense Node is the ideal way to win the fight, since the Attack Node does easily-healed amounts of damage and the CPU doesn't attack at all unless both Nodes are gone. In the DS version, this is reversed -- the only way to win is to kill the Attack Node (before it partywipes you) and chip away at the now-helpless Defense Node and CPU.

Since the CPU is protected with Reflect, Black magic isn't very useful to win this battle. And since Summons would hit the Attack Node, most of those are dangerous for the party, too. But Lyrai's new Sylph summon only targets the CPU and pierces Reflect, doing about 2000 damage and healing enough HP to null one Piercing Laser. So that'll do nicely. Rosa spends most of the battle shooting the CPU with arrows, since Lyrai and Whisperwind keep the party in good shape.

It was a risky move -- bouncing a spell off of FuSoYa's own Reflect may have hit the Attack Node instead -- but spells are only reflected once and FuSoYa doesn't have much else to do.

Welp, that's a wrap.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »

u mad bro

Golbez: Do I know you?
FuSoYa: You have to look deep inside yourself! You have to realize who you really are!
Golbez: Stop it!
FuSoYa: You must wake up!

FuSoYa uses his Moon Prism Magic to break Zemus's spell on Golbez.

FuSoYa: ...You have regained your true self. Now, do you remember your father's name?
Golbez: My father... is KluYa.

:oh:

D.Ni: You two are brothers!?
Brent: My brother...?
FuSoYa: You were Zemus' puppet in his plan. He was using you with his hypnotic powers. You were chosen because you have the blood of KluYa, a lunarian, coursing through your body, which made it easier for you to be controlled. But to make you fight against your own flesh and blood...
D.Ni: That's enough!
Brent: I was fighting... against my own brother? All of this hate... is against my own flesh and blood? I wonder why you were chosen. It easily could have been me, as I also have lunarian blood.
Golbez: I was chosen... because of the seeds of evil that lay inside me. Zemus saw that evil... and he helped it grow...
Brent: Where are you going!?
Golbez: To find Zemus! I'll settle this!
FuSoYa: Wait! I too am a lunarian, just like Zemus. I will join you!

Golbez: Goodbye, Brent.
D.Ni: Is this what you want, Brent?
Friday: Golbez is never coming back... You know that, right?

Coming back? I'm not 100% certain how he's getting to the moon in the first place.

Brent: My... brother...
Lyrai: Yes!
Brent: ...

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »

Once more, screenshots utterly fail to convey that the screen is shaking.

Friday: Brent!
Brent: ...
D.Ni: What are you doing!?
Lyrai: We need to find a way out!

Friday: Mars!
D.Ni: Oh, no! We're not falling for that again!
Mars: We can talk later! Right now, we have to get out of here!
Friday: Hurry!

I don't know if the ruins of the fallen Giant of Babel are a dungeon in any of the sequels, but it would probably have been more interesting than anything that did make it into the game.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

Oh my god I had no idea you could do this.

IT'S LIKE SHE'S RIGHT HERE WITH ME

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure my guy is, in fact, in hell, surrounded by all the tiny dwarflike children and winged angel-babies he slew in life.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »

In the DS version, this is reversed -- the only way to win is to kill the Attack Node (before it partywipes you) and chip away at the now-helpless Defense Node and CPU.
But Fusoya still gives the same "kill the defense node" speech.  :perfect:

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »

I don't know if the ruins of the fallen Giant of Babel are a dungeon in any of the sequels, but it would probably have been more interesting than anything that did make it into the game.

In the DS version, on your second or third playthrough, if you stole the Dark Matter from Zeromus on the previous one (It stays with you in NG+), and then go and use it on the face on the Moon, you fight one of two Superbosses, Proto-Babil. As the name implies, it's a Giant of Babel prototype. It will spam Ninth Dimension, it'll use a huge Fuck You beam, it'll heal itself for 20,000hp, and it'll counter attacks with Object199.

The other Superboss can also be fought inside the Giant of Babel by standing where you re-fight the four fiends and hitting the Interact command. Once the Giant is destroyed, Geryon moves to Mt Ordeals.

AND, in the PSP Complete Collection version of the Sequel, you can fight Lost Babil by paying a Namingway 500,000 gil. You end up having to form 3 seperate parties for this one - one group fights the torso & arm, the second fights the chest, head, and other arm, and the third fights the core, which is a Superboss version of the normal core fight. Six total nodes instead of two, and it'll regularly take half your HP and inflict Sap with the same attack

And finally, the last non-FF4 mention of the giant is in Dissidia 012, the second PSP fighting game. It's simply a summon in there, no story interaction.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »

Mars: I don't expect you to forgive me, after all I've done...
D.Ni: Of course we're not gonna forgive you! The giant was practically your doing!
Friday: Stop it!
Mars: Friday...
Friday: It's not Mars's fault! You saw how Zemus had control over even Golbez!
Mars: Golbez too?
Friday: Golbez is... Brent's older brother... A lunarian named Zemus was controlling Golbez, taking advantage of the lunarian blood he carries.
Lyrai: Golbez and FuSoYa went to the moon to destroy Zemus.
Mars: Golbez is Brent's... brother? Then I, too, should follow them to give Zemus what he deserves!
D.Ni: I hope you don't end up betraying us again.
Mars: If that happens, kill me as well.
D.Ni: I'll go too! I want to give this guy a piece of my mind!
Brent: ...I'll go. I'll go, too! To the moon!
Friday: Brent...
Brent: Friday, Lyrai. You two stay here. The three of us will go. I can't put you in this kind of danger.
Friday: But Brent!
Lyrai: That's not fair!
Brent: Please, you have to get off the Lunar Whale.
D.Ni: You kids won't be much help, anyway.

Shut the hell up, either one of them makes a more capable party member than you do.

Mars: Friday!
Friday: ...
Brent: Get out of the way, Friday.
Friday: No! You have to take me with you! Otherwise, I'm not moving!
Brent: Why are you doing this...?
Friday: I want to be with you. I don't care what happens, as long as I'm with you.
Brent: Friday...
Mars: I guess we have no choice.
D.Ni: Well, aren't you a ladies' man!
Brent: Alright... Friday, I'll protect you with my life.

Hey man tryin' to have a little smooch here come on

The name says D.Ni but that is obviously not his line. Or portrait.

Lyrai: Besides, I'm the only one who can summon creatures to help us!
Brent: Lyrai, you too...? Alright, let's go! After all, this is everyone's war!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »

As promised, everyone's waiting in Mysidia. You can talk to anyone not currently in the party to swap them in. And while everyone's going to get a turn, and I have some sidequests I want to wrap up before I commit to following the poll... well, there's a poll. Vote whoever you want to take the first trip to the moon.

A party rundown:
Brent, formerly Cecil, can't leave the party. He's one of the tankier party members with his longswords and heavy armor, and can do a little support with his limited white magic. His Cover ability is mostly useless but will sometimes rescue someone who's at HP critical to keep me from having to revive them.

Lyrai, formerly Rydia, is all about direct-damage spells. Individual enemies get blasted by black magic, large groups blasted by summons. She'll be in the party for most of the sidequests, since most of the sidequests from here are to collect the last of her summon spells.

Friday, formerly Rosa, is an archer/white mage. She already has all the restorative spells available, from Curaja to Full-Life, and the full complement of white magic buffs. All that's left is Holy. She has a better damage output than MCE thanks to arrows being better at that kind of thing than staffs.

Disposable Ninja, formerly Edge, full name Edward Geraldine, no really, is a ninja. His physical attacks are terrible because his best weapons are swords, but he's too fragile to stand on the front row -- all his attack damage is halved. His magic is outshined by either of the two black mages. Really he's good at throwing! And that's about it.

Mars, formerly Kain, is a dragoon. Dragoons hit hard, and jump to hit harder.

Niku, formerly Cid, is an engineer. His ability to Scan enemies is damn near useless, but he makes up for it with some of the best raw strength and HP growth in the game.

Romo, formerly Edward, formerly Gilbert, is a bard. He can bark at enemies to cause status ailments and hide from danger, which is more useful than it sounds. He's even faster and more fragile than the ninja, which is kind of weird. His harps are long-range, so while his raw attack power isn't as high he doesn't get his damage output cut in half by being safe in the back row.

Kabbage, formerly Yang, is a monk. The power of his mustache lets him deal grievous damage with his bare hands and take hits that would fell lesser men. He misses his wife.

Zara, formerly Palom, is a black mage. Since he doesn't worry about summon magic, he gets the endgame black magic spells at slightly lower levels than Lyrai. He can Bluff his magic power up for the remainder of a fight. His Twincast ability with MCE still takes too long to be particularly useful.

MCE, formerly Porom, is a white mage. Since she doesn't worry about archery, she gets some of the endgame white magic spells at slightly lower levels than Friday. Her ability to Cry on command garners her the sympathy of lovelorn men on the Internet worldwide and allows her party to flee from battle -- but since Lyrai, Friday, Disposable Ninja, Zara, and MCE herself all get spells that also allow fleeing from battles, it's kind of useless at this point in the game. Her Twincast ability with Zara still takes too long to be particularly useful.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »

Rumor has it that bards are pretty damn powerful in the GBA version. That homozone ain't going to police itself.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »

In all versions, Edward's stats shoot up crazy fast after he hits level 70. I'm not sure if he'll get that far in this game, so ymmv.

Aside: Lyrai points out that the shot of the Blue Planet from the Lunar Whale is this one. That's south Africa and Madagascar.

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »

Brent: Friday, Lyrai. You two stay here. The three of us will go. I can't put you in this kind of danger.
Friday: But Brent!
Lyrai: That's not fair!
Brent: Please, you have to get off the Lunar Whale.
D.Ni: You kids won't be much help, anyway.

I don't see either of you two knowing anything better than Cura.

...not like my MP is doing anything, though...

Anyway, voting for Mars/Romo/Brent/Friday/Lyrai. You need to get Romo in there sometime just to change the name.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2013, 01:21:57 AM »

Man, that ninja sure wears masks like, steals like, and sucks in a straight fight like more like a bandit.

JUST SAYIN'
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26