Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101023 times)

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #660 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »

Exactly. My gut says mods are going to make resource problems like the ones that were and are present with minecart physics, tnt, and fire more likely.

Well actually, in this case thats not exactly true, because to get the desired effect, we had to rely on various booster glitches to get things working and this game with a number of design issues. The mod allows for more efficient design and, according to the thread, is extremely stable. But I suppose that is a valid concern!

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 14, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »

I'm electing to go with this particular mod because it'll go away by itself after the next patch due to the way it's installed.  By then hopefully it will be unnecessary and we'll just have a bunch of silly looking gold bars under the tracks for no reason.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 14, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »

Okay, I think it's in now.  Somebody let me know if it's working.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #663 on: November 14, 2010, 11:36:54 PM »

Since I don't have any particular goals or investment in minecarts/minetracks on the server, this won't affect me directly either way, but I'm all in favor of anything that actually gets some people online occasionally. I check in every couple days to work on my aqueduct and I'm always the only one on.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #664 on: November 14, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »

Okay, I think it's in now.  Somebody let me know if it's working.

S'all good!

YEah I'll probably be around more. Also anyone else invested in the rails system? Anyone mind if I take some eminant domain under some underground unrefined area? Now to decide what sort of design is most useful....

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #665 on: November 15, 2010, 02:29:29 AM »

I got a prototype line running between the little tunnel by the zeppelin and Fort Stacktus (Sorry max, hope you don't mind me building under stuff!). Right now, It just does a loop, but tomorrow I'll make it stop at the individual stations.

Right now you press 1 button to summon a cart and another button to send it off. Sadly you can't activate the button from the cart due to multiplayer issuess, so you have to click the button to launch and quickly click the cart. I think this is the most optimal setup currently. Also be sure to clear any jams please, though these should be minimal now that theres more enclosure of the tracks. Door to the primary station is inside the tunnel. If this works well, I'll run a train to spawn and maybe consider some other possible designs.

All this said, EVERYTHING this mod does has to be a feature eventually (just replace default blocks with crafted items).

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 15, 2010, 02:44:19 AM »

Are we still saying the land behind Stacktus is wilderness/frontier? If so, I don't think it would make sense for a cart system to go out further than the fort.

But that's probably just a stupid aesthetic decision and I never play anyway, so whatever.

P.S. just because I don't play much doesn't mean you should all tear down my castle or break the giant windows plz.

upthorn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 15, 2010, 02:47:38 AM »

Right now you press 1 button to summon a cart and another button to send it off. Sadly you can't activate the button from the cart due to multiplayer issuess, so you have to click the button to launch and quickly click the cart.
I didn't have any issues pressing the button from inside the cart. You just have to right-click the button, instead of left. Same would probably be true of switches etc.

Are we still saying the land behind Stacktus is wilderness/frontier? If so, I don't think it would make sense for a cart system to go out further than the fort.
You know that in real life US history they put railways right through the western frontiers and way beyond, right?
signature

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 15, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »

Yes, but so far it seems like the minecart system serves more as a trolley than a full-fledged railroad.

EDIT: and also how do I connect to the server I don't have the current address apparently.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 15, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »

But this means we can do that minecart rescue minigame from Spirit Tracks, right?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #670 on: November 15, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »

EDIT: and also how do I connect to the server I don't have the current address apparently.

bigshell.brontoforum.us, right at the top of every page on the forum
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 15, 2010, 12:41:11 PM »

right at the top of every page on the forum

That would require I actually pay attention to things, though.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #672 on: November 15, 2010, 02:23:48 PM »

For the record, try and avoid logging out while in a cart, unless you wanna turn minecarting into some weird version of the Prestige (even then, don't, because it mucks up the track). Anyways the system works EXTREMELY well. Fort Stacktus now has a station! They're awfully close, so it's no big deal, but the system runs very smoothly and should stand up to abuse pretty well, unless people are actively trying to fuck it up.

Brentai, can we get a new map sometime soon? It's not necessary, but if you could, I'd like to use that to sketch out where various stations and switches should go.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »

oh god is zara mickey eye

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #674 on: November 15, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »

Castle Zara's rail network is connected to a secret station near the glass maze. There's also a small rail road on the sewers near spawn if anyone cares.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: November 15, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »

Has anyone else noticed a significant drop in FPS since the last couple of updates? Even on singleplayer I have to turn the settings down pretty low just for the game to be playable.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #676 on: November 15, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »

The game was kind of hanging when I first joined the server yesterday, but after about 15 seconds, it returned to normal levels of lag.
Signature:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 15, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »

Going to take some work to prevent my carts from entering a hellish nightmare dimension.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #678 on: November 16, 2010, 01:23:57 AM »

Brentai reset the server because of a clone issue. Seems like all the chunks weren't saved, so a lot of work was lost. More recent work is sporadically scattered. He was afraid of saving everything due to fear of saving the ghost, sadly. Anyways I got a lot redone, such as grand centeral station being UNDER the cafe instead of replacing it and the line to the Zeppelin.

Here is the DEALIE with hellish nightmare dimension. You can only travel SO FAR ( tried brakes, speed had nothing to do with it)  by minecart before the game gets confused. As such, there is a stop hub in the glass underwater tunnel. YOU MUST GET OUT AND GET BACK IN BEFORE HITTING THE BUTTON. If not, you will crash into nightmare hell dimension and possibly leave a ghost. IF THIS HAPPEBNS TO YOU, DO NOT QUIT RIGHT AWAY. Teleport somewhere. I'm not sure of all the warp points but /warp zeppelin and /warp ledzeppelin will work. Wait a minute or too and then quit. The ghost may still exist, but underground and off the tracks. COnsidering what happened when Brent reset the server, if a ghost does pop on the tracks we'll just have to deal with it, if Kicking doesn't work.

So if you make ANY LONG TRIP, split it with the mechanism I used in the tunnel. If you need help implementing this, just ask and I will do so. And again, YOU MUST GET OUT OF THE CART.

Worst case I'll just design the mechanism so you HAVE to get out to use it.

edit: decided not to leave anything to chance. Hopefully the mechanism is intuitive to use.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #679 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:49 PM »

I just took a train all the way from Skull Fortress to the Floating Islands and back. Heres a general layout of things right now

Skullsplitter Station

^
|
V

Detonation Station (Track Switch between SS Station and GSCN)

^
|
V

GSC North (I think)   <-> Zara's Mines

(then take a walk too....)

GSC East (I think!)

^
| (Safety Stop)
V

Harbor Station (Track Switch between Stacktus Station and GSCE)

^
|
V

Stacktus Station (Track Switch between Harbor Station and Forbidden Station)

^
| (Safety Stop)
V

Forbidden Station

So thats 8 god damned stations. I think we're doing pretty expertly! Anyways Const, I sorta took some liberties with how the station and tracks worked. If theres an issue, we can try and work that out. Feel free to make the tracks even more needlessly long and windy if you want too. I think it's kinda awesome that Detionation/SkullSplitter probably has more tracks than any other route despite covering the a tiny amount of ground.

Also if you wanna make a station, go to the Zara's Mine stop and check it out. Upthron made what is probably the most condensed possible station. It's not as pretty or elaborate as the stations I've done, but its functionally the same.  From there if you want you can expand the design out to have rails going where you want.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 72