Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101008 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #780 on: December 12, 2010, 06:43:22 AM »

Yeah.  I'm not so crazy about this map, but it might just be because we never moved the spawn.  I hate that spawn location, because I often either ended up drowning or embedded in the rock.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

I'll make sure we have some ops for the next one.  I just wanted survival to actually involve some surviving, rather than HEY CAN YOU GENERATE 3 STACKS OF GOLD BLOCK FOR ME KTHX

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 12, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »

I'll miss throwing tools when they patch that out.

Aside from that and the gold block, an awful lot has been achieved by conventional means. There's a great supply of wood from tree farming, arrows and gunpowder by monster trap, and a cobblestone generator.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #783 on: December 12, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »

Yeah, when you combine the resources and cleverness of several player and allow them to play when you're not around, the end result is likely going to be for you to have everything done and handled and available in crates in short order. SMP needs to be harder than standard Single player somehow I think o work out right. Or maybe hell will handle that by just giving new things for people to do, I don't know.

Though if I had to guess I'd imagine within the first day or so someone will have a nice safe castle built in hell while manufacturing glass walkways to get around so yeah like I dunno man. :|

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 12, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »

If you want to watch enemies wander into traps set by other people and die, stick by civilization. If you want a challenge, go away and start building on your own. A city of safety and various frontiers/areas run by 1-3 people would be a good organization, and when things get too easy, just move out farther. Or dig downward to the point that enemies will spawn in direct sunlight.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 12, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »

It will probably get more challenging when the enemies can actively break your shit to get to you, rather than "Hey don't fuck with creepers around my place kthx"

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #786 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »

The thing with wandering away is you defeat the multiplayer aspect of the server (also the spawn in direct sunlight thing was removed). Brentai is talking about some of the stuff I'm thinking. Right now Creepers are annoying and just break peoples stuff because OOPS LOL CREEPER, but if the monsters actually tried to barge into your homes, you'd have a situation on your hand and would actually have to worry about repairs and secure areas. I think thats the type of thing guys like Const want too -- to have waves of zombie clash against his fortress where he must then pick them off with bows and swords with his friends. I want that in Single Player too (I don't make vanity structures in Single Player so I don't mind if things get smashed :D). Right now being safe is pretty easy, even alone in single player. I can easily start a new map and get to diamonds within an hour now that I know whats going on in the game. There needs to be some be a sorta... 'resource sink'.

I trust Notch is fully aware of these needs based on stuff he's said, but I wouldn't expect anything in the immediate pipeline to make SMP challenging, outside of Hell for a fleeting moment.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »

Creepers have blown the front door off twice now.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »

A MINECRAFT FACT (tm)

Surviving isn't fun, since combat isn't very fun.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 12, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »

A MINECRAFT FACT (tm)

Surviving isn't fun, since combat isn't very fun.

I've had a lot of fun with single player survival, so yeah.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 12, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

yeah, what i mean is "MONSTERS EVERYWHERE! EVEN IN YOUR HOUSE! XD"

in singleplayer you build forts to keep them out and then never bother with them again

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #791 on: December 12, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »

That is certainly true, but it's more then that. Tension is fun. Monsters are fun in SIngle Player because overtaking new caves becomes a slow, careful, meaningful process. This isn't really ever true in multiplayer where at least one guy is just going to strip mine everything. But still, I would put forward that More Monsters that are potentially scary are better than a few monsters that just get in the way of you being creative.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 12, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »

I wasn't saying spawn in a populated area and then barge off on your own (unless you want to- I have done that in a few servers). But small groups of people venturing out together with a larger "capital" city in the center (where you can build giant blocks of gold or whatever the hell you crazy kids are into). It wouldn't exactly solve all of the problems, but surviving with 2 friends trying to establish an outpost (and then moving on) would be more exciting than spawning in an area so bright no monsters will ever see you and you might as well be playing on peaceful.

Waves of monsters would be better, but a wave is very close to turn-based gameplay and you can't have turn-based gameplay when people are constantly dropping in and out and there are long stretches of time when nobody at all is present. The only thing I could think of is monsters spawning continuously (like they do now) but at increasing rates and with more health. Doesn't Dwarf Fortress have some kind of algorithm where the attacks you suffer are based on how long your fortress has existed and how much it's worth?

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #793 on: December 12, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »

I think optimally waves would be based on the side of a place combined with how many people are currently on the server and in what proximity. But really, any particular idea here is just theoretical. Any working idea in that direction would be nice.

As for a few people on their own that sorta goes to something I've heard Notch hint at that I think would be swell. The ability to host games off the client. Either let people see your stuff and vice versa, or do occasional games with them that you only play together. Whatever. But that sort of small scale, personal multiplayer seems like it'd be pretty fun in opposition to the "big persistent world where everyone is soloing somewhere else until they wann look at peoples stuff".

But really more to the point, the game just isn't designed to be particularly interesting when it comes to multiplayer currently. Any number of changes could generate more multiplayer fun, but I'm just looking at the most obvious route. Notch knows whats up.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 12, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »

Well, with a dedicated API I'm counting on the community to step up some features we need.  Improved combat, better mob behavior, maybe even a kind of adventurer mode so we can be more vocal about the server and let pubs on.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:59 AM »

yeah, what i mean is "MONSTERS EVERYWHERE! EVEN IN YOUR HOUSE! XD"

in singleplayer you build forts to keep them out and then never bother with them again
MOER LIEK

in singleplayer we make forts with dark rooms that spawn them, send them down a deathfilled canal, and wait at the bottom.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 13, 2010, 03:41:04 AM »

What I want is the ability to cut and paste parts of worlds into other worlds, because I have collected so much awesome stuff, but it's all in different worlds.

Also, Ocksi, check your PM's. I think I dun goofed.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 13, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »

Lyrai: You might want to try out MCEdit.  It's a 3D world viewer program that lets you copy and paste stuff.  I don't know if you can move it from world to world, but there you are.

Angryoptimist

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 14, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »

Well, with a dedicated API I'm counting on the community to step up some features we need.  Improved combat, better mob behavior, maybe even a kind of adventurer mode so we can be more vocal about the server and let pubs on.
I wonder if he's going to do anything regarding dissemination of mods (eg. server has a mod, client doesn't, client downloads mod from server).  Also wonder how client/sever mods are going to be handled as well, what limitations are there to what you can do with the API, how easy will it be to make an interface to it for a civilized language and will anyone save me the trouble of trying to write one, etc.

I don't know if you can move it from world to world, but there you are.
I believe MCEdit can move stuff, in the form of schematics.

Oh, and hi.  I should have figured you'd guys'd like this game.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 17, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »

...but is it art?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 72