Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101007 times)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #840 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »

The difference between an iron pick and a stone pick for cutting through stone, that I've noticed, isn't so much one of durability as it is of speed.  A stone pickaxe cuts through a block of stone in .89 seconds, where a iron pick does it in .68.  When you're multiplying this by cutting hundreds of blocks of stone, it really adds up.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 27, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »

The secret to minecraft is you aren't going to find more shit in a nerdhole (I dug straight down, yuk yuk) than you are exploring caves, the nerd holes will just cost you a lot of resources and ultimately leave you with pretty much nothing. Basically you have to explore the shit out of caves, find veins of ores and then mine them. Leave torches to find your way back, of course.

The best way i've found to get an absolutely ungodly crapton of iron is the time-honored "stripmining at bedrock level" stratagem, but if you find a lucky cave, then yeah, it's iron city.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:51 PM »

Mining is only good for getting three things: diamond, redstone, and metric buttloads of cobblestone. For everything else, yeah, spelunking is better. That said, if you're not playing on Peaceful, it's also much more hazardous.

That natural forest fire was undoubtedly caused by an aboveground lava fall that spawned a little too close to a tree and started a chain reaction.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 27, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »

Yeah, we're both playing on Normal.

Peaceful seems kind of lame... you might as well just be playing in a map editor or something then. I mean, I've exploited or played on super-easy or whatever in games before, but that was in games with goals. As there's already no goal or climax in Minecraft, removing the conflict as well wouldn't leave you with much of a game. Also, how would you even get sulphur without a steady stream of those 'splodey assholes? (course, I have yet to bother with TNT)

Next complaint: Man I wish there was a map function. Even if you had to make paper and do other things in-game to get it.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 27, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »

Well, you could use Minecraft AutoMap. I've thought about using it myself, but I figured that having to rely on my sense of direction made things more interesting. I can see how it might be no fun if you keep getting lost, though.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 27, 2010, 05:51:48 PM »

The problem with playing on Not Peaceful is that the combat in this game is still just no good.
...but is it art?

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 27, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »

yes, that

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 27, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »

The problem with playing on Not Peaceful is that the combat in this game is still just no good.

I think you're completely missing the point.  The enemies aren't there so you can fight them.  They're there to make it dangerous to go outside or into an unexplored cave.  It's about being scared witless by hearing a zombie groan right behind you and you can't find him, or panicking when a creeper drops in front of you and starts hissing.  I think the enemies do a decent job of making exploring a very uneasy experience, which I think is the point.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 27, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »

I think you're missing their point which is that after you know what to expect and how to handle those threats the threats become less interesting/fun and more annoying/stupid

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 27, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »

I think you're missing their point which is that after you know what to expect and how to handle those threats the threats become less interesting/fun and more annoying/stupid

All right, but I don't think that's the fault of the combat.  Things might be more interesting when you can no longer easily perma-light caverns (if he's still planning that), but maybe not.  My guess is that he needs to redo the difficulty curve in order to make deep spelunking more challenging, and give you more to do in hell.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #850 on: December 27, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »

It's more complex than one thing. Theres not even necessarily anything 'wrong' (just incomplete) about the current implementation. Now, I like Survival, but I also bore of it easily. Enemies are single minded and if your careful it's relatively easily to be killed by surprise. I mean, sure, it will happen, but at that point little lapses tend to fall under the category of 'stupid/annoying''.

Combat is just boring. I enjoy now that I can fight back the dark with torches and slowly whittle into caves. I like fighting a few enemies here and there. But more? That just multiplies how boring and awful the combat is. Used sparingly, it is a tension builder and occasionally scary/fun. If it was ALL THE TIME? God. Notch removed the lower level spawning rules because they turned out to be stupid and made things into a chore. Right now you can get a good amount of mileage out of the game before things become easy. But they do become easy. When you get to the point where only the 'end game' (Creative stuff) content is fun, peaceful mode can make sense because all these enemies and being afraid of the dark just wastes your time. You're done with that challenge.

Not sure what notch should do. Htiting enemies with a stick isn't ever going to be rivoting combat. The bow helps, but whatever. I think there almost needs to be better enemies The combat is goofy and poor but having to use it to take on something big and scary would be interesting.

Either way, the game is still in development and I'm sure Notch realizes that some sort of problem exists.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 27, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »

Notch has mentioned boss monsters before, which would be cool.  Hopefully he'll start putting code in to generate civilizations and other random shit.  It'd be cool to dig down and find a lava city of angry magma men.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

Let's just bug Notch until he accepts to hire Toady One to help him make Slaves to Armok III: Mine Fortress.

Code: [Select]
You hit the Ghast in the second left tendril with your -Diamond Longsword-. The second left tendril flies off in a bloody arc! The Ghast wails.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 27, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »

If you're running hMod (which you are, right?) you can spawn a giant. A giant is just a huge zombie, but I don't think you can kill it. Anyway it shows that Notch was working on that and there's code in the game, but it's not that interesting at the moment.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 28, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »

Well, you could use Minecraft AutoMap. I've thought about using it myself, but I figured that having to rely on my sense of direction made things more interesting. I can see how it might be no fun if you keep getting lost, though.

Does that thing display everything, or only areas you've explored yourself? The latter seems fine, but the former would probably sap a lot of the fun out of exploring and the purpose of the game as a whole.

This isn't very clear from the website.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: December 28, 2010, 05:26:06 AM »

Well, I just tried it to see. On the surface, the program can only show terrain that has been generated already, which means that it only knows places you've been within sight distance of. Underground's another matter though... There are options to detect minerals, but even with the obvious cheaty stuff turned off it still shows you things you shouldn't be able to see, since it doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference between a tunnel or cavity you've explored and one that should be entirely hidden.

That said, I was impressed by how nice the aboveground view is, and it's simple enough to turn it off when I'm underground, so I might start using it myself every once in a while, not for travel and exploration but more to save some time when I build something with precise dimensions. I keep second-guessing myself when putting down foundations and the bird's-eye view might spare me some aggravation.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 28, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »

I wanted a safe disposal slot for unwanted crap (endless dirt piles etc.). So I made a bathroom-like room complete with bench crapper. Then I filled the crapper holes WITH LAVA.

I called it The Lavatory. :glee:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »

So it's exactly like peaceful except you have to spend all night barricaded in a light place, and sometimes you die anyway.
...but is it art?

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #858 on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »

spend all night barricaded in a light place.

Only if you're a GIRLYMANFACEPERSON

Personally, I wrap myself in cow carcasses (until I have enough metal to wrap myself in that), grab a sword and go all I Am Legend on the monsters all night long.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 29, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »

So it's exactly like peaceful except you have to spend all night barricaded in a light place, and sometimes you die anyway.

I like it because, apart from at the very start of the game where you don't have torches yet, it makes me break up my surface travels and underground mining so I don't get stuck in one rut the whole time.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 72