Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 101007 times)

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1200 on: August 26, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »

Or hell. Zara would you be interested in the minecraft user? You can set whatever you want up.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #1201 on: August 26, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »

Sure, mail relevant data to zarawesome AT gmail.com.

I take people are interested in a server when 1.8 comes in, and will plan accordingly. If anyone would want differently, do make yourselves heard.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 27, 2011, 06:34:51 AM »

So I'm looking at all the new stuff slated for 1.8 and man, two things keep bugging me:

1 - The way Notch is trying to absolutely force people into rigid "you're playing creative" and "you're playing survival" streams. Having mobs was good for creatively-minded players because part of the fun of building is that it's a triumph over the uh, elements. And making building decently fun is secretly the real "reward" for "winning" survival, which otherwise has no real goal or point (don't tell me a "you win the game!" screen is a replacement for this). Plus, at it's core, the original minecraft was about doing whatever the hell you wanted; bifurcation is a blow against that freedom.

2 - The way he thinks he going to "solve" aspects of the game he doesn't like by falling back on bland, thirty-year old game ideas. An XP meter? Skill points? Criticals in combat? Really? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Minecraft's biggest strengths are it's unique aspects. This kind of stuff is just lame and uninteresting.

I'm not saying RARWRRRRRR RAAAAAAAAAGEQUIT. If anything, 1.8 is going to get me to play again, because there's a lot of world-building stuff in there that's looking very cool (been wanting NPCs forever). If anything makes the game flat-out unplayable, well, I guess I'll just have to finally get around to installing bukkit instead of playing stock. But some of the recent stuff seems like incredibly uninspired cop-outs.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 27, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »

It was my understanding that "creative" meant having infinite amounts of every type of block and being able to place/punch out stuff wherever you saw fit. Peaceful, on the other hand, is adventure/survival without the hostile mobs. If this is the case, I don't know why anyone is upset about it.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 27, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »

There really was no point to peaceful, you might as well play creative. So yeah, mongrel's rant is kind of pointless.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 27, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »

Well it's nice to have to work for what you build, but not have it randomly destroyed by fucking creepers and endermen once it's done.

Actually a switch to turn on/off various mobs would be swell.  First thing I'd zot are slimes, which seem to serve no purpose other than to fuck up the fauna count.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 27, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »

Uh, in case you guys didn't know, they're killing peaceful off for 1.8. The only modes will be creative and survival (only survival will now be called "adventure").

Well it's nice to have to work for what you build, but not have it randomly destroyed by fucking creepers and endermen once it's done.

Creepers are alright, because at the end of the day, you trigger them. It's easy enough to avoid getting creeper'd with a little care and good sense.

Endermen however will do their thing if you're anywhere in the neighbourhood, even if you're 50 cubits underground. 

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 27, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »

Uh, in case you guys didn't know, they're killing peaceful off for 1.8. The only modes will be creative and survival (only survival will now be called "adventure").

Well that sucks! I play on peaceful because

Actually a switch to turn on/off various mobs would be swell.  First thing I'd zot are slimes, which seem to serve no purpose other than to fuck up the fauna count.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 27, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »

Based on what's been said so far, will the Endermen mess up monster grinders by spawning inside and moving blocks around?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 27, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »

In all likelihood, yes.

Also, secret bases will now be impossible. If you're in the chunk, they'll be up on the surface, fucking up the lawn "OH HEY, I WONDER IF SOMEONE LIVES HERE?".

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 27, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »

The problem with peaceful and having to work for what you build, which also ties to Brentai's post, is that slimes give you the materials to make sticky pistons, skeletons give you bones which are also useful, Creepers give you TNT materials, so without mobs you are limited in the stuff that you are able to make.

So like I said, peaceful was entirely useless and good riddance to it. If you want to just build stuff without worrying about mobs creative is way better at that.

So yes, I did know peaceful was gone and mongrel's post being useless and all of that.

Also, if endermen fuck up mobs grinders I'm okay with this, so you'll have to make some maintenance to the grinders every once in a while.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #1211 on: August 27, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »

Pretty sure mods will fix up all these issues, if they actually exist, within the first week.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 27, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

Pretty sure mods will fix up all these issues, if they actually exist, within the first week.

Oh yeah, like I said, I'll just install bukkit or whatever if I have to. I'm not going to sit here and rant about being unable to play the game in its "pure" form or whatever. Thanks to the huge mod community Minecraft is so lucky to have, none of these changes are gonna actually cause problems worth speaking of. 

It's just that it's another case of "Guy makes awesome product X. Guy continues to tinker with awesome product X in an attempt to improve it, only to make it clear that he doesn't fully understand what made it awesome in the first place", which always bugs me.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 27, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »

If your only objection is to Endermen messing stuff up, then just Enderman-proof your buildings.  Water kills 'em, according to the wiki, and I don't see anything about them spawning in lit areas.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 27, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »

Mongrel, can I get source on them killing off peaceful?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 27, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »

I got the info from Starr but I dunno where she got it. I think she got it from the minecraft forums. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Oh and they're going to introduce hunger into survival/adventure. So you slowly get weaker if you don't eat.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1216 on: August 27, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

Mongrel, can I get source on them killing off peaceful?

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/28442263772 :
@nomslurpees I think that will happen actually. I'm changing "difficulty" to "realism". Lowest setting = creative. Highest setting = starve
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 27, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »

That's an old tweet, I think? It left the possibility that there was something in between the two extremes.

I'll try and find something more explicit.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 27, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »

You also don't heal by eating anymore. You heal by filling up your hunger meter. When it's full, you slowly regenerate hearts.
But he's introducing a healing potion I think?
Fuck if I know. There's a lot of changes going on.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 27, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »

Okay, here's a bit more.

Quote from: Starr
Interview with Jeb

He doesn't explicitly say "peaceful is being removed" but he does say survival will be replaced by the adventure mode.

There doesn't seem to be any info on what "optional" means when Notch says hunger is "optional" or Jeb says NPC villages are "optional". It could be that your "options" are a) suck it up and deal b) go play Creative. I'd prefer that Adventure Mode player options menu lets you line-item veto the rubbish components, and keep what you want.

Peaceful - you can still die if you fall or drown or bathe in lava or get struck by lightning. You can still gather wool, porkchops, eggs, and milk (the hard way). E.g. it's possible to still play a recognizable Minecraft game if you're in Survival - Peaceful.

Creative Mode as it was described today at PAX seems to be mostly a level editor. You fly around, have infinite blocks and items, construct and mine things quickly, don't deal with mobs, ostensibly take no damage, and otherwise don't really interact with your environment.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 72