Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 50

Author Topic: New Doctor Who  (Read 54120 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »

One thing I've wondered since Blink is that, if they're completely defenseless in their statue form, why doesn't someone just take a sledge to them while they're stuck that way? The Doctor says being made of stone renders them impervious, but when they change back and you've knocked them to rubble with a hammer, I imagine this would be inconvenient.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »

...so the bit where he comforts Amy, right after escaping the Angels?  He's wearing his coat.  Even though he just lost it.  It's missing again a minute later.

My girlfriend noticed and assumed it was a continuity error, but the fan sites are buzzing with speculation that the Doctor popped back in from the future.

How could he have snuck up on everybody without the TARDIS noise?  Well, it only makes that sound because he leaves the brakes on, you see.

...or it's just a continuity error.  But the idea that the Doctor starts working his way backwards through the season (and maybe catches Amy more than those first two times in 16 years) is much more interesting.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »

I'd say almost certainly a continuity error, but yeah, that would be pretty cool.

He can't travel into his own timeline though, right?

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »

He, uh, did in Father's Day.  Which is the most canon fucking up episode.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2010, 07:15:16 PM »

Wh- th-

He could've fixed so many problems with this thing then! There's no way that's cannon.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

It's not that it's physically impossible, it's that it's Against the Rules.  All the shit that went wrong in Father's Day was a result of Rose crossing HER own timeline.

The Doctor's crossed his own timeline multiple times, most notably in the The N Doctors stories, which were framed by the Time Lords saying "It's forbidden to cross your own timeline, but we're going to make you do it just this once because all of time is at risk."

So you know, if there were maybe some sort of giant crack in the fabric of time itself trying to gobble up the universe, that might provide justification.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #346 on: May 08, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »

Well, that was fun, if inconsequential.  Some pretty good banter, and I'm finding that I quite like Rory and hope he sticks around for awhile.

It bugs me that nobody, at any time, notes that the vampires' fangs resemble Prisoner Zero's.  Maybe that's significant (people forgetting things, again) or maybe it's just a rather large plot hole.  Francesco DOES throw down a Chekov's Gun when he says Amy looks familiar, but OTOH these particular monsters don't bear any resemblance to Prisoner Zero other than the teeth.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 09, 2010, 04:31:31 AM »

I really love this Doctor's ability to cram his foot in his mouth over and over.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »

Kind of a goofy episode.  Also doesn't have the urgency that the preceding episode implied it would have?  In Flesh and Stone, the Doctor has an epiphany about the cracks and how Amy might tie into it, which leads into... relationship counselor Doctor?

Really reminded me of the episode Tooth and Claw, with the scene where the Doctor and Amy are excited about running into a mythological monster.  And the scene where [spoiler]Amy beams the sun down on the monster to destroy it[/spoiler]

Dumb ending though, with some terrible CGI thrown in to boot.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

Really reminded me of the episode Tooth and Claw

Except without any real commentary made about the characters' non-period clothing.  Yeah, they at least change at one point to be less conspicuous, but...Rory's shirt has a photo on it.  A PHOTO.  And nobody in sixteenth-century Venice has anything to say about it.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »

Wasn't that long ago explained away as an extension of the chameleon circuit or something? No matter what they're actually wearing, people see them as being appropriately clothed for wherever and whenever they happen to be.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #351 on: May 10, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »

But that would remove the rationale for every piece of period clothing any character has ever worn on the show.

Plus, throughout Tooth and Claw people keep acting scandalized at Rose's attire and referring to her as "the naked girl".

(Anyway, the chameleon circuit's never worked quite right anyway, has it?)

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »

I guess they're just wildly inconsistent on the subject, also Tooth and Claw sucked.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »

Amy's Choice is my favorite of the season, possibly of the show so far. Great villain, get setup, great dialogue, great everything.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:36 PM »

No one in the universe hates me as much as you do, eh? Fucking awesome.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »

i like the one with the daleks

i like dakels

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2010, 10:49:17 PM »

Some friends of ours just had us watch The Girl in the Fireplace, which is the first episode of Dr. Who I've watched start-to-finish. Previously I'd only ever come across random episodes from older seasons that were already half-finished, and I didn't have enough investment to finish the episode.

Having now actually watched a full episode, I really don't know what to think about the franchise. I can't actually tell if I like it...? I feel very ambivalent.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2010, 05:23:02 AM »

Which is odd as Girl in the Fireplace is awesome.  Going in cold probably doesn't make a lot of sense, though.  Start with Rose, then work your way up.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:09 AM »

I dunno if you don't like Girl in the Fireplace then you might want to peace out of this thing. It's about as close to the perfect Doctor Who episode as it gets.

Try out Human Nature and maybe that Silence in the Library two-parter and then MAKE THE CALL

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »

Amy's Choice: not a bad episode.  A little too reminscent of Turn Left (and VERY reminiscent of The Forgotten, a comic miniseries, but I assume that's coincidence as from what I gather most people who work on the show don't even know there's an American comic series).  The twists were a little obvious, but well-executed.

Possibly most interesting was the "What's his name?" callback.  First of all, this is [spoiler]the Doctor himself[/spoiler] hammering on the Doctor's "Trust me" double-standard with Amy, something I've noted before as significant.  And secondly, of course, it's another allusion to the Doctor's name.

His line to River in Forest of the Dead was something like "The only way I would ever tell anybody...the only way I COULD..."  Now, I've been figuring the rest of that sentence is "...is if I were dying."  But the Dream Lord is indicating that that's not the case (or perhaps that the Doctor doesn't mean "could" in a literal, physical sense; he could simply mean "the only way I could bring myself to do it").  Don't know, but I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll hear about it.

(Have I floated my theory yet that the Doctor has to "die" to break the 12-regeneration barrier?)

Anyway, it all worked out pretty well, and seemingly resolved the love triangle AND elevated Rory to a higher status than Mickey's perpetual sad-sack also-ran.  I'm hoping he hangs around for awhile.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 50