Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 110

Author Topic: MTG  (Read 153457 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: MTG
« Reply #640 on: August 26, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

I never really understood how poison was fun mechanically. I mean, it's just a different form of damage. This new reinvention where a player has to choose between poison and actual damage when building their deck, that at least forces an interesting choice.

Though flavour-wise, I guess can see why people like it.

Apparently Rosewater hates the idea of poison as "just another" life-total. People are wondering whether this means there won't be ways to remove poison counters, or there won't be "poison as a resource"-style cards, or what.

In other news, a new Scars of Mirrodin keyword was just spoiled from the Elspeth/Tezzeret Duel Decks set. This standard season is going to be just crazy with +1/+1, -1/-1, poison, charge, quest, level, and loyalty counters—AMONG OTHERS—and I couldn't be happier.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:56 AM »

And Emblems :glee:

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #642 on: August 27, 2010, 09:02:51 AM »

Actually, I think emblems are going to be similar to that keyword "substance" that got incorporated into the text of those Mirage-block auras that could be played as instants, instead: it's a bit of technology to enable certain unusual mechanics that they're not otherwise going to attempt to promote. I doubt we'll see another card employing emblems for a couple years.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 27, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »

EDIT: Oh wait, you said 'another', never mind.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #644 on: August 27, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »

Also, if you check Gatherer, substance vanished from all cards that had it.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/46a&page=2

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 27, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »

So they no longer have substance.

:whoops:

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 27, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »

I grabbed one of the Archenemy decks from the store today. Taking a look at the Scheme cards.. I see how some are supposed to be total game changers and amazing.. But some are like "This wasn't worth printing on a giant card." I see a lot of Archenemy games being lost to bad luck for the archenemy.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 27, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

Yeeeeah, just looking over the schemes, I can see that they pretty much copied certain spells almost exactly. Syphon Soul and Insurrection come to mind.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 28, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »

I grabbed one of the Archenemy decks from the store today. Taking a look at the Scheme cards.. I see how some are supposed to be total game changers and amazing.. But some are like "This wasn't worth printing on a giant card." I see a lot of Archenemy games being lost to bad luck for the archenemy.

This happened to me one day when first turn I hit the ongoing one that had me untap during the opponent's untap phase until 3 permanents of mine were destroyed in one turn.

I had no instant spells to speak of during the game, and was easily dispatched.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 28, 2010, 01:06:56 PM »

Also, last night at FNM, I played a Red/Green landfall deck with a Primeval Titan against another guy who was playing Primeval Titans.  For all three games, the guy who got a Titan out first won.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 28, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »

I see combo winter is coming early this year.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 29, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »

Here's the landfall deck I was playing on Friday.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Land
Forest x8
Mountain x6
Terramorphic Expanse x4 (Might find a place for more fetch lands like Evolving Wilds so I can get more Landfall goodness.)
Kazandu Refuge x4 (R/G Heal Land)
Raging Ravine x2 (R/G Man Land, 3/3 that gets a +1/+1 counter whenever it attacks)
Rootbound Crag x 2 (R/G Dual Land)

Creatures

Baloth Woodcrasher x1 (4/4 for 6 that gets +4/+4/Trample on Landfall, might end up taking him out when I get another...)
Rampaging Baloth x3 (6/6/Trample for 6 that pukes up a 4/4 Beast token on Landfall)
Primeval Titan x1 (Titan that searches for two lands upon summon/attack.  Might end up taking him out, as the only Landfall he works decently with is the Rampagers, though if I ever get more Primevals, the next creatures will most likely be cycled out.)
Plated Geopede x3 (1/1/First Strike for 2 that gets +2/+2 on Landfall.  Great with Cultivate or...)
Oracle of Mul Daya x3 (2/2 for 4, lets me get an additional land out every turn, and play lands from the top of the deck.)
Scute Mob x4 (1/1 for 1, grows by +4/+4 every upkeep that I have at least 5 lands out.)
Llanowar Elves x2 (These will be cycled out when I get two more of...)
Birds of Paradise x2 (Llanowar Elves that can generate any mana?  Yes plz)

Sorceries/Instants/Planeswalkers

Garruk Wildspeaker x2 (Mana acceleration, beast tokens, AND an Overrun effect?  Sure!  Of course, Overrun can't hold a candle to...)
Overwhelming Stampede x4 (All my creatures get +X/+X and trample, where X is the greatest power among creatures I control.  Scute Mobs?  Rampaging Baloths?  Hey, those Birds of Paradise are sure looking ANGRY now, aren't they?)
Cultivate x4 (Mana Acceleration.  I've been told to look in to Harrow, and I might.)
Lightning Bolt x4 (Creature control, though the trample can usually cover it pretty well)
Searing Blaze x1 (2 cost for 3 damage to a creature AND player, provided I've activated the landfall ability.  Otherwise it's 1 to each.)

So, once again, what do you think?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 29, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »

You've got six grand in the bank. What do you do:

1) Invest in your retirement.
2) Purchase a RealDoll.
3) Blue Hurricane.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #653 on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »

Wizards of the Coast is hiring game designers for Magic, again: the Great Designer Search 2 starts later this month. I guess I'll be scouring Rosewater's past design articles until my temporary computing solution arrives and I can resume work on Exquisite Knorpse.
Signature:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2010, 05:34:18 AM »

That last contest was the funniest thing ever. They sort-of rigged the competition, so that they could hire 'the girl', and then found out afterwards it was a pre-op transgendered guy.

The epilogue: she's turned out to be an okay designer, but now works elsewhere at WotC. It turned out that three of the other guys in the top five were much better designers (they eventually tendered job offers to four of the top five contestants) and they now do R&D work... though one of THEM was responsible for Worldwake. So uh, a success, but not by everyone's standards.

This new version should be interesting if nothing else. Sadly, most people will fail to learn the most important lesson: That they are awful at designing games.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »

i understand it was pretty lame constructed wise but I loved worldwake in limited. Also I'm pretty sure it's correct or at least polite to refer to transgendered folks as the gender they want to be.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 02, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »

Also I'm pretty sure it's correct or at least polite to refer to transgendered folks as the gender they want to be.

Uh, as far as I can tell, that's what I did?

I only phrased the first sentence the way I did to prevent any confusion.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 02, 2010, 10:27:11 AM »

It confused me. I thought you meant that it was a female-to-male transsexual at first.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 02, 2010, 12:37:50 PM »

OH WELL.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 03, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »

I don't know if this might be a bad idea or not for a multiplayer thing, but you play your deck as usual, however, each turn, during the beginning of the main phase, you take two or three cards from a deck of basic land (say, 5 or 6 of each color), which you can play as though it were your own until the end of turn.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 110