Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 110

Author Topic: MTG  (Read 153449 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: MTG
« Reply #1000 on: February 18, 2011, 04:36:50 AM »

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 18, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »

Hey, here's an idea that a few of us were ruminating about over Grifball:

I have Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, and, say, Jace, the Mind Sculptor, and a Liquimetal Coating.  I tap Liquimetal Coating to make Jace an artifact, and then use Tezzeret's -1 to make him a 5/5 artifact creature.  Reading Tezz's effect, I don't think this would be very beneficial.  It doesn't say anything about "in addition to its other types" like Liquimetal Coating does.  I think, upon transformation, Jace would become a 5/5 artifact creature with none of his abilities intact.

EDIT: I'm reading on various internets that they DO retain their abilities, but they would take and receive combat damage as normal IN ADDITION TO Loyalty counters, so when their loyalty runs out, they explode as normal.

However, it can add another measure of protection to the relatively unprotected planeswalker if you were to, say, slap a whispersilk cloak on Robo-Jace or something.

I'm just trying to half-bake a janky idea involving Tezzeret turning Sorin Markov in to a robot, THEN using Captivating Vampire to make him an ACTUAL vampire instead of a fake one, slapping a Blade of the Bloodchief on him, and having him blast things with his +2.  Or running Esper colors and making Venser an unblockable Infecty guy with Phyresis.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1002 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »

Even if you add Shroud to a creature-walker, your opponent can still damage its loyalty by targeting burn spells at you and choosing to reallocate the damage to your walker. What I don't know is whether it would do toughness damage as well in that scenario.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 18, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »

Well, MTGSalvation and the like are buzzing about this, and probably Wizards' as well, so we might be getting some sort of dailymtg about it in the near future.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 19, 2011, 02:18:25 AM »

So if LiquiTezz made Jace an artifact creature and I killed him with, say, Combust (assuming he retains his colour), would I be able to plop him into my Mimic Vat?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1005 on: February 19, 2011, 06:51:01 AM »

According to this page, yes, that works. Apparently you can even tack Stifle onto your four-card duplication machine to keep the token indefinitely.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 19, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »

:o

...Excuse me.

Well, it seems to be a lot of effort for Jace-on-Demand.  When you stifle the removal at the end of the turn, what have you done?  You've succeeded in spitting out a Jace that, for all intents and purposes, is just another Jace. 

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1007 on: February 19, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »

Yeah, it's a really convoluted series of cards and events to bring about what is essentially Memnarch or a slower Blatant Thievery. What this scenario gains over those cards: the ability to spit out a replacement Jace for 3 mana, whenever you like, for the rest of the game. But mostly it's a funny, convoluted trick.
Signature:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »

There's an unspoken rule of sorts in MTG. Though granted, it only really applies to competitive Magic.

If your clever combo is more than three cards, forget it. If your clever combo doesn't win you the game and is more than two cards, also forget it (probably).

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »

Today I traded a Suleiman's Legacy for a Raging Ravine.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 19, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »

I obtained Thrumming Stones last night.

I have 22 Relentless Rats.

I'm gonna DO IT.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 19, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »

The way Thrumming Stones is set up, spells that ripple into play themselves get the benefit of that ripple, right?  Just checkin'.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 19, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »

I obtained Thrumming Stones last night.

I have 22 Relentless Rats.

I'm gonna DO IT.

Oh nooooooooooooo

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 19, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »

moar liek

amirite?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 19, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »

If you see a happy puppy you just punch it in the face, don't you?

Fucking Canadians.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 19, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »

There are zillions of ways to deal with Relentless Rats. Even I know that, and I haven't played this game since 7th Edition. The fun is when your opponent doesn't use any of them.
...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »

There's been something bothering me about Jace the Mind Sculptor, and I think I've figured it out. Every deck that runs blue would be improved by the card. It's like Force of Will, Sensei's Divining Top or Demonic Tutor, except it's going to sit in standard for the next six months. That doesn't bother me so much. What does is that I'm shying away from blue, because if I try to build a deck with blue in it, it will feel incomplete without a $100 card.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 25, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »

Yes.

That's part of the problem with the card: It's so good and universal it goes in EVERYTHING blue.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 25, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »

Yes.

That's part of the problem with the card: It's so good and universal it goes in EVERYTHING blue.

If it was only one of those things, I think I would tolerate it more. Koth, the Tezzerets and the Elspeths are good cards, but you have to build around them. The first five planeswalkers are no great shakes, but you can put them in just about any deck and they'll contribute something. The Mind Scupltor does just about everything you want a blue card to do.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 25, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »

My main gripe is the lack of planeswalkers that represent some of the core of Magic's gameplay for each colour.

For instance, Red still lacks a cheap "disposable" burn-oriented planeswalker. Koth was okay and looked like they might finally have made one, but as people played with him they really realized he wasn't so great since he was usually just a vulnerable 4/4 for 4 with haste. Red can do a lot better for 4 mana. Black still lacks a strong-but-dangerous-to-you planeswalker (I can see how that would be tough to balance, but it's been a few years now). Nissa was important to try and make a planeswalker that encouraged a tribal strategy (a big green aspect), but they made her horrible by putting a player on such narrow, shitty rails if they want to use her.

There are solid successes though. Elspeth and Ajani each have aspects that solidly support classic White Weenie, Elspeth 2.0 is a great card for classic white control decks, and Garruk is as perfect for green as CheatyJace is for blue, only without being stupidly broken (sort of like how Giant Growth eventually proved most perfectly balanced of all the "boons", while Ancestral Recall was busted in half).

One thing I'd like to see is for them to try a couple of cheaper planeswalkers. JuniorJace is just fine at 3, but he is literally the only planeswalker to ever come in under 4. It's tough, because 4 mana really seems to be the sweet sport for useful planeswalkers. More than that and they don't see play, less and they run a very big risk of running out of control (though JuniorJace's power level is just about perfect. He and Garruk really were the best of the original 5).

In the end though it's okay. Planeswalkers are still in complete infancy in terms of design. We don't even have a planeswalker for each ally-colour pair yet, let alone each colour pair or the full spectrum. None have an instant-speed ability, none have text that isn't related to the +/- loyalty counters system and only one has ever had more or less than the three-ability base template (of course, guess which one... oops!). I do wish they'd make a block with more than then usual 4 or 5 though, just to bulk up the numbers and allow themselves a little more room to experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 110