Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 110

Author Topic: MTG  (Read 153462 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: MTG
« Reply #1200 on: May 25, 2011, 02:52:10 AM »

Those don't actually have "planeswalker" in the rules text.

Why's that necessary? Mortify is creature removal, yes, but that doesn't mean that Vindicate isn't also creature removal, despite the fact that it doesn't specifically mention creatures anywhere in the text box. For 2 black mana, Vampire Hexmage will kill any planeswalker at sorcery speed. Why should it matter that it can also disarm modular creatures, or what-have-you?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 25, 2011, 04:34:10 AM »

Maelstrom Pulse will kill Planeswalkers but good too.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 25, 2011, 05:06:07 AM »

Bad news for limited players.

They're also reprinting Flameblast Dragon (and Gideon, but I think everyone already knew that one?). Which is so much fun to play against in a draft.

Also, Giant Growth is out ( ::(: ) and Giant Spider's in. In the set with Bloodthirst. Are you kidding me?! I guess TIMMY BLOCKS ALL DAY AND WINS is uh... fun... if you're been playing for only two weeks?

I blame Jace.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 25, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »

just because there will be no "giant growth" doesn't mean there won't be combat tricks. i will bet you a hundred of your comedy dollars that there will be a giant growth variant in m12. they've learned how to make core sets that aren't about sitting around forever these days

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 25, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »

I still like that wall in New Phyrexia that says "HAY TITANS I HERD YOU LIKE GETTING PUNKED OUT BY DEFENDER CREATURES *splat*

<Everyone but Frost Titan> :c

<Frost Titan> :3

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 25, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »

just because there will be no "giant growth" doesn't mean there won't be combat tricks. i will bet you a hundred of your comedy dollars that there will be a giant growth variant in m12. they've learned how to make core sets that aren't about sitting around forever these days

Of course there will be a combat trick of some kind. It's one of Green's ONLY surprise plays, given how heavily they depend on permanents. There's a green combat trick in like every set ever.

The issue is that lots of people are speculating the reason GG was cut was so Wizards could include a combat trick that grants trample because some idiot thinks that would go great with bloodthirst. Which it absolutely wouldn't.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 25, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »

Honestly, Green has like a billion combat tricks right now.  While I'm sad that Giant Growth won't be reprinted (because I can't use my shiny one with the GLOWING BEAR EYES), I dunno, something something.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »

The issue is that lots of people are speculating the reason GG was cut was so Wizards could include a combat trick that grants trample because some idiot thinks that would go great with bloodthirst. Which it absolutely wouldn't.

Hmmm, Wildsize? Predator's Strike?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 26, 2011, 08:21:34 AM »

Yeah, those are big guesses.

Also stuff like battlegrowth, since some folks are speculating that +1/+1 counters will be a big theme in Innistrad.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 30, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »

God, reading the MTGSalvation Standard Forum is depressing. Anybody know any decent forums for discussing Magic?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 30, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »

Nope.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeelllll... actually the goodgamery forums (www.goodgamery.com) are tolerable, but ONLY if you stay within a few "Serious Magical Discussion" threads. And then only sometimes.

Salvation is one of the wretched stinkpits of the underbelly of the internet. I tolerate that site for two subforums: The rumor mill (new cards!) and the market street cafe (best pricing info anywhere), but you can't actually READ the threads. Just the first posts, where they put the summary information.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1211 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »

Yeah, I'll occasionally skim Salvation's Standard forums just to get an idea of how my pet cards and mechanics are doing in the competitive environment, since I barely play Magic myself*. But yeah, actually reading the threads is an exercise in masochism. I usually only remember that's the case once I'm on page 6, though.

* Actually, though, the main guy I used to play Magic with just announced that a girl he works with said she wanted to play him, so he's decided to get back into the game. (He'd quit during TIme Spiral block when he bought two boxes in hopes of pulling copies of Teferi and didn't get a single one.**) Looks like my days of never actually playing the game may be over for a while.

** I've tried to explain to him why it's more cost effective to buy singles than to buy boxes, but such common sense reasoning is lost on him. This is the same guy who buys 36 to 60 videogames a year and actually plays five of those.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 30, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

Well, the EDH forums on Salvation are okay. They have lots of ideas for decks.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 01, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »

So apparently Sol Ring and Lightning Greaves will be in the Commander precons.

That's pretty cool.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 01, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »

I've tried to explain to him why it's more cost effective to buy singles than to buy boxes

Explain it to me?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: June 01, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »

I've tried to explain to him why it's more cost effective to buy singles than to buy boxes

Explain it to me?

He probably meant in the specific instance of looking for a specific card.  Teferi was a Time Spiral rare.  There are 80 Time Spiral rares, so on average, only 1 of every 80 Time Spiral boosters you buy will have a Teferi in it.  I forget whether boosters are $3 or $4, but unless buying a Teferi costs more than $240 or $320 respectively, it's cheaper on average to buy a Teferi than to pull boxes hoping for a Teferi.

That assumes none of the other cards you pull hunting for a Teferi have value for you, though.  If you have the capacity to dump every other card you get for market value, it might be cheaper overall to buy packs, but that's a huge assumption.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 01, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »

oh, i am a dumb and read "singles" as "packs".

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 01, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »

Bitchin'.  I've already got a few Lightning Greaves kicking around...I think they were printed for one of the Archenemy decks. 

Yep, they're in one of the Archenemy boxes.  Specifically, the Esper-colored one.  "Assemble the Doomsday Machine"

Sol Ring, OTOH?  WANT.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 01, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »

Kinda makes me feel silly for holding onto mine since Revised.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

The best part is that it uses the new art.
I mean the old art is iconic and quite good! But the new art was just stunning.

Anyway, don't feel bad. That was a sound decision for about 16 years.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 110