Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Aborpopulation  (Read 37779 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Aborpopulation
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

Moving on back a bit:

Well, if she's taking illegal drugs she's liable for that whether she's pregnant or not.  As far as drinking...well, I'm inclined to agree with you (provided you can prove that she knew she was pregnant; drinking during the first few weeks shouldn't be prosecuted), though perhaps simply taking the child away is sufficient punishment.

My point in saying that was, of course, that even terrible parents generally do not want their children taken away from them, and find such to be a horrible, traumatic experience.

Case in point: the couple who decided methadone was a good treatment for their 2-year-old's toothache and who have been on the run from CPS out of fear of their children being taken away.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »

The corollary here is that if you make abortion illegal then you must also make it illegal to smoke or drink during pregnancy, since that would be giving alcohol/tobacco to a minor.

Just realized that the Mississippi Personhood Amendment (random relevant news link) would actually make this hard law rather than pedantry.  Can't wait until somebody realizes that you can start prosecuting for this.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »

The corollary here is that if you make abortion illegal then you must also make it illegal to smoke or drink during pregnancy, since that would be giving alcohol/tobacco to a minor.

Just realized that the Mississippi Personhood Amendment (random relevant news link) would actually make this hard law rather than pedantry.  Can't wait until somebody realizes that you can start prosecuting for this.

There was actually a case in Oklahoma were they tried to prosecute a woman for first degree murder because she had a miscarriage and she was taking heroine. Problem is drug use was unrelated to the miscarriage and they tried to push through the prosecution anyways.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2011, 08:44:02 AM »

Yet the proponents, when shown this argument, simply decried it at reductio ad absurdum and acted like that meant that no one would actually implement/enforce such laws because it would be 'absurd'!

:facepalm:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2011, 08:54:02 AM »

Well, yes, I don't expect them to apply logic, humanity or even the basics of the Surgeon General's Warning to an issue that's never been more than fundamentalist dick-waving.  I expect them to suffer for a few years under the regime of a government whose only revenue is through litigation until they either start begging to have the shit reformed, or anybody who's worth a damn just leaves Mississippi to rot.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

no one would actually implement/enforce such laws because it would be 'absurd'!

Of course, which is why it will only be used to opress people at random, much like copyright laws.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »

At random? Don't be absurd. They'll use it often enough for political expediency, but sparingly enough to seem random.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »

At random? Don't be absurd. They'll use it often enough to rile up the base, but sparingly enough to seem random.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »

if anyone ever posts "every sperm that's wasted" ever again I will shoot ketchup out of my eyes

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »

Oh Friday, please don't burn us.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »

Insane Personhood Amendment does not pass.

It's good to know that there's such a thing as too backwater fundamentalist crazy for backwater fundamentalist crazies.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »

Never in my life did I think I'd have an opportunity to say "Way to go, Mississippi".

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »

Should be noted that a non-significant number of people speaking against the bill in Miss. were abortionists arguing that pushing the issue would backfire on them once the Supreme Court got involved.  So the cynical side of me wants to say the bill failed not because anybody there believed it was wrong, but because it wasn't sneaky enough to get past the Fed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »

Pretty much, though I'd say it's more because it's too broad -- it would have denied medical treatment to pregnant women with cancer, banned a number of birth control pills -- basically the public realized it wouldn't just punish the "bad" people.

Similarly, Arizona's first attempt at a gay marriage ban failed because it would have denied benefits to unmarried straight couples.  Two years later they came back with another version that closed the loopholes and it passed.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Re: What the fuck?
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »

Never entrust women's health to a fucking Kansas politician.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18