Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100646 times)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #520 on: May 09, 2010, 01:48:36 AM »

Hammer was great. He was a perfect villain for this.
He wasn't threatening by being dangerous. He was threatening because HE WANTED TO BE YOU and couldn't do it. And it ate him away inside.
And it was great. He was one of my favorite things of the movie

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 09, 2010, 11:33:09 AM »

Went, saw Iron Man 2, yay. Worst thing you could say about it was that it was merely thoroughly good from start to finish. Well, okay, I thought the whole Birthday party scene was kind of weak [spoiler]the awesome Iron-on-Iron Man battle, while awesome, felt too forced[/spoiler]. Also, dialog! Everybody talked, and had fun conversations, throughout the whole movie, which is definitely where I felt Iron Man 1's second half fell apart.

Black Widow felt oddly ancillary, despite being in almost every other scene. But hey, [spoiler]she kicked the asses of a hallway-full of mooks and we got to see her in a black bra[/spoiler]. Good stuff.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #522 on: May 09, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »

Why does a robot on robot fistfight have to sound like you are hitting metal pots and pans with a stick?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #523 on: May 10, 2010, 07:53:16 PM »

Also: does EVERY Marvel movie now have to feature the main character embarrassing himself on the dance floor?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:28 AM »

Until we get a Black Panther film, yes.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 11, 2010, 07:36:33 AM »

Don't look at me, I'm just waiting for a Power Fist/Luke Cage buddy movie.
Think about it: fighting street level crime, going on their first "super mission,"  a semi-serious beat-'em-up flick where the characters readily acknowledge the fact that they are a race joke waiting to happen.

It'd be Marvel's greatest work. And it will never happen.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 13, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »

So I guess I'm the only one that caught [spoiler]Genosha on Fury's holomap?[/spoiler]

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 13, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »

Caught IM2 again tonight. (Not that it's that good, but hanging out is hanging out and I can't be hungover for tomorrow)
Caught something [spoiler] when Ivan is meeting Hammer, look at Hammer's hands. There's self-tanner blotches on them [/spoiler]
 :glee:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 16, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »

Gotta admit I didn't know what was going on half the time, but I don't know if it was just conveyed poorly or I wasn't paying attention.  If I wasn't paying attention... well, that's its own problem.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »

Went, saw Iron Man 2, yay. Worst thing you could say about it was that it was merely thoroughly good from start to finish. Well, okay, I thought the whole Birthday party scene was kind of weak [spoiler]the awesome Iron-on-Iron Man battle, while awesome, felt too forced[/spoiler].

[spoiler]It felt a little forced, I agree. But I rationalized it because Rhodey didn't want the army to take away all of Tony's suits, so he stole one rather then let that happen. Also, I think the fight scene was actually good. It started off as amusingly pathetic, then it slowly became darker and darker until Tony snapped.[/spoiler]

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

Well, I thought Tony planned the whole thing [spoiler]It was forced because he was forcing it. I mean, it seemed like he was trying to engineer it so he could say it was stolen while he was drunk that way the government could have a inferior copy and not force him to build shit for them.  Kind of a Goodbye gift for Rhodey too.[/spoiler] Alright. So I am not convinced on the motivation, but after seeing it twice, I am convinced Tony planned it.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 16, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

Am I the only one who wanted Rhodey to say "Remember me?" at least once when he was popping the facemask?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 16, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »

If so, it'd be hilarious. Because no. He's not the Rhodey I remember.

Roger

• Waiting for the next Smash Bros is the Pits
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 17, 2010, 07:08:27 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcEKcKbMsWs&fmt=6

I saw the movie on Wednesday.  It was fun, a good balance of serious face and tongue in cheek silliness with great witty dialog.  It didn't feel too long, and all the characters had enjoyable personalities.  I really think Rourke's Whiplash stole the show.

The bullshit plot science was Hollywood's usual level ([spoiler]Of COURSE the magic element's atomic structure was hidden in the model Tony's dad hadn't touched in over forty years[/spoiler]), and the usual in computer wizardry was seen, but it didn't take me out of the movie.  Not the way Dark Knight's magic bullet rebuilding machine did, anyway.  I think it's because one expects bullshit super-science from Tony Stark.  So it gets a slide.

Hammer almost skirted the line of being too annoying to me, but considering his character is SUPPOSED to be the unlikable douche, I guess mission accomplished?  The only scenes that felt "too long" to me were a few of the Tony/Pepper fighting.  Because every action movie needs that subplot.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #535 on: May 17, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »

You know what movie actually DOES suffer from too many villains and subplots?  Robin Hood.

It's not BAD, exactly.  Scott and Crowe are both masters of their respective crafts; the visuals and the pacing are great.  The attempt to set it against a more realistic historic backdrop is interesting, but the end result is that the Sheriff is only in about 5 minutes of the movie, Robin and the Merry Men don't move into the forest until the end of the movie, and there's only one scene where they actually rob from the rich and give to the poor.  And there is an incredibly, blisteringly stupid reveal involving the Magna Carta.

The highlight is Bad King John, who Oscar Isaac plays to the hilt as a kind of if-Ryan-from-The-Office-was-given-absolute-power-over-a-nation character.  But the real villain of the piece, inexplicably, is some guy named Godfrey who's loosely based on Guy of Gisbourne.

Anyway.  Perfectly decent movie but it doesn't feel too much like Robin Hood, the plot kind of unravels halfway through, and it pretty much screams "PART 1".

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 17, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »

Errol Flynn was 30 when he played Robin Hood.

Kevin Costner was 36.

Russel Crowe's almost 50.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but my suspension of disbelief only stretches so far.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 17, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »

I really enjoyed Iron man 2. What really stuck out for me was the dialog and general mannerisms of Tony Stark - the talking over people, side comments, and general attitude was so perfect.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »

I finally figured out who it was that Rockwell's Justin Hammer reminded me of. Dana Carvey!

Hmmm. Rockwell's Justin Hammer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwtizE0l5U

:mystery:

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the best video game adaptation to a movie is still Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.  I find that kinda sad, especially considering FF:tSW wasn't really an adaptation of a video game in anything other than the title.

Also amazed that the worst movie in that list is not directed by Uwe Boll.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 59