Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tyrannical Albums  (Read 2707 times)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrannical Albums
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »

And his reign continues!

This update a special thanks goes out to the boys to the north. Specifically Geo. Actually only Geo and no one else. He randomly mentioned a band I liked on TF2 one night and mentioned a song I didn't recognize from an album I didn't recognize. Magical internet told me I didn't have it because only the filthy Canadians got the release.

A few months later and I'm finally updating my collection, and grab the album. That being Grow Up and Blow Away by Metric. It's so good. It's so many goods. I've been listening to it no-stop for about two weeks now and even though parts of me that have every part of every beat down to an unconscious muscle flinch I can't get myself to turn the playlist off.

The song that caused the whole conversation in the first place persists as one of the best off the album. The entire album feels like a departure from everything I know about the band. Like finding out about Dragonball after growing up on DBZ, songs like Raw Sugar reintroduce an old love whose novelty had worn off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__ZKBhoOeE

Choosing a second song to represent the album gets trickier. You can safely download the album completely missing Soft Rock Star with nothing of value lost, but every other song is not only worth listening to but worth a blanket recommendation from someone who takes care before recommending a new band to a person. Each song has a slightly different feel but I there's an overwhelming feeling drawing back to a sound I haven't heard since the nineties. And yes, there is a specific kind of sound that doesn't have any better classification. A ping of oddly misplaced chipper in the voice of the most dreary of songs that give them feeling.

Though it could stand to lose a minute or so off the end, Hardwire is a perfect example. The light rap of the highhat and low, hollow piano build to the perfection of an acoustic guitar breakdown while you finally hear the higher flutter off the piano and well... you should listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKudIjIFHuY (video has a lot of dead air but is the only one of good quality)

Even if neither of those songs made it for you, give the album a listen on your next chance. I can't imagine a musical taste exists that couldn't find something worth listening to on it.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »

Common Rider's This is Unity Music is start-to-finish absolutely A++ punk in my book. Some of the best:

Common Rider - Midnight Passenger

Common Rider - Set The Method Down

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 03:41:22 AM »

Look, I'm using this thread where it's relevant, Kabbage!

So I've listened to We Are Scientists on and off for a while. Most of their stuff is overwhelmingly 'meh' to me, but a few of the songs have always stuck out in my head.

Just started going through album-by-album the other day and quickly breezed through until "With Love and Squalor". Turns out every one of the songs I liked is off this album, and there isn't a single track that seems to drain from the total experience. There's an obviously heavy theme of bad decisions and horrible results, and as such actually does a decent job of living up to the namesake.

Textbook - We are scientists

We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »

how does someone post coheed and cambria and k-os back to back
i don't

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »

:deal:

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »

I know it's been out for a while now and I'm like, two years late to the party on this one, but Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is stone cold balla folks:

Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Album Version)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »

Ready to dub Foals' Antidotes and Total Life Forever two of my all-time favorites. Both have stood up to months of being the only two CDs in my car and this band continues to amaze me.

Here's two off Antidotes:

Foals - Astronauts And All (HQ)

foals - balloons

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »

Here's two off Total Life Forever:

Foals - Black Gold

Foals - 2 Trees (hq)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »

Loved the first song, really came alive after the bass kicked in. The second one not so much, I dont know, just didn't groove for me. The first one off the second album though was nice. The second from album 2 I'll have to listen to a few more times. At the very least I'm definately going to give the rest of the songs on both albums a try.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »

since this is the closest we have to a normal music topic

I just learned about the existence of Movies on the Radio through their Pixar episode and at a glance I can't see a way to grab the MP3s but this is exactly what I have always wanted and never known until now.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »

So here's something to pick up my spirits a bit after the horrible things I just got through reading about in the New Times: a group of Phoenix artists are working to put together a free album of Muppets covers.

And oh hey, any musicians around here?  You can contribute to it.  There's a Facebook event page listing songs that have already been claimed.  (I still have no Facebook account.  I'm hoping somebody does Ain't No Road Too Long.)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »

Turns out Electro-Swing is the capital-B B'ness. Here's two off of Caravan Palace's self-titled album:

Caravan Palace - Clash (Original Mix)

Caravan Palace - Dragons

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »

Oh my god the song you linked. The one called Dragons. Oh my god. Where have you been all my life. It's amazing.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »

I'm loving the shit out of this Remix and the entire electro-swing genre as a whole right now. Thanks for the introduction, mothra.
Pages: 1 [2]