Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: Street Fighter 4.  (Read 44581 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Street Fighter 4.
« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »

Well, most of the characters don't have any kind of dog in the fight. Out of the entire cast, the law enforcement people care (Cammy, Guile, Chun-Li), Bison and Juri care, and everyone else kinds of runs into him because of personal goals or just as a result of participating in the tournament. What he was meant to be is a new body for Bison, who's been body hopping for years, mainly to replace not his recent body (fucked to hell by Akuma), but more so his Alpha 3 body. His current body can't hold even half his potential power. Seth theoretically could, but he thought Bison was dead, and besides didn't much care for getting his mind overwritten.

Most of the cast doesn't even seem to know anything about what's really going on in this tournament, and just run in to Seth at the end, or they're following side stories, like the Akuma/Ryu/Gouken story. Anyway, Seth is pretty strong, for what he is, but compared to other top tier characters and bosses he's nowhere close to the demigod status that many of them have.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »

I dunno about that, but last I heard she's top-tier.  Supposedly they're tooling her down a bit for ultra?

Also, unless something changed, I thing Oro going full out is still the strongest World Warrior.

Is Street Fighter 3 canon, or some bizarre side universe where street fighters are X-Men?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »

SF3 is canon, and I don't know where you get the X-Men thing. The only playable characters that are the result of genetic manipulation are Urien, a prototype for Gill, Necro an experiment to create a super soldier to support Gill, and Twelve, the ultimate result of that research. Everyone else is just a fighter. In fact, aside from the returning characters, most of them don't even have access to the more exotic powers usually featured in the series. The intended main character is just a street tough with some wrestling moves.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 12, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »

I always felt bad for Alex. He just... he never had a chance.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 12, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »

I really like using him, but yeah, nobody wanted to hear that "No Ryu" noise.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »

People were generally upset that most of the new generation had no connection to anyone or anything in Street Fighter 2.  It still throws me off every time someone tells me the main character is Alex and not Sean.  shaaaaaaaaaaun

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »

Yeah. I mean, that was the whole point of New Generation, but the location tests basically came back unanimously as "Yeah, this is great, but where's Ryu and Ken?", so they put them in. Technically Alex is still the main character, as much as that matters, and he's actually pretty popular among 3s fans, but he never caught on like the classics, or even some of the other new characters, like Makoto and Urien.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »

Did Urien actually catch on? I can't imagine that he was popular with anyone except enthusiasts.

Whatever, we all know Q is the best.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 12, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »

Well, SF3 in general wasn't really popular with anyone but enthusiasts. People who like SF3 tend to at least respect Urien because CRUSH, CRUSH, DE-STROY.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 12, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

True. The only original male characters from the Three games to appear in later games were Yun, Yang and Dudley. And only one of those three characters is actually worth paying attention to. I'll give you a guess which one I'm talking about.

And of course all the female character made a return because Kawaii-no-Desu.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 12, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »

Well, that and they're rad. Makoto (who in a joke by Capcom uses moves that much more closely resemble real shotokan karate) is great, and has a totally unique play style, and Ibuki is similarly great. You must obviously be talking about that classy gentleman, Dudley. Sweet car, dapper looks, best stand fierce like ever.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 12, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »

Indeed on both accounts. Personally I'm more of a fan of Elena.

And Dudley is awesome.

And Yun and Yang are so lame. So very, very lame.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »

Still, my original comment there was meant to poke fun at the fact that the number of Japanese schoolgirls in the cast is somehow approaching the number of shotos.

I suppose Makoto also counts as a technicality.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 12, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »

In early SF3 plans Makoto was supposed to be Ryu's younger sister.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 12, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

Makoto and Ibuki were both about 20 in SF3. They're a bit younger in SF4 because it's a prequel, but it barely comes up. I think Elena is a transfer student, so she counts.

School girl status as of SF4:

Ibuki (shown in cutscenes and one of her alt costumes is a school uniform)

Elena, since she's even younger than she was in SF3

Not Sakura. She was in high school circa the Alpha series, which predates SF2. It's mentioned somewhere in the material for SSF4 that Sakura wears her old uniform because it's what she learned to fight in, and therefore she is most comfortable fighting in those clothes. Real reason is obviously it's her classic look, and people hate change, but she's seriously in college at least by SF4, and in her ending (set sometime after the events of the game) she's a teacher.

Makoto is uncertain because, while she is younger here, she's not shown going to, or worrying about school at all, and spends all her energy trying to build up the family dojo.

Chun Li wasn't ever a school girl in the games, so that's a given

Juri isn't either.

Cammy, same as Chun.

So 2, maybe 3 if Makoto if in school. There are five shotos in the game, not counting Gouken or Dan. So I guess the count is kind of close.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Makoto has an appropriately tomboyish school uniform as an alt costume that I forgot, so count her in.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #595 on: January 12, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »

Cammy was a schoolgirl in BISON SCHOOL.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 12, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »

Literally the worst school, unless you want to be BISON, in which case it is the best school.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:50 AM »

It's mentioned somewhere in the material for SSF4 that Sakura wears her old uniform because it's what she learned to fight in, and therefore she is most comfortable fighting in those clothes.

Oh sure, SHE can get away with it. When Kyo is in the same school uniform for three tournaments people start to worry about his mental capacity.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 13, 2014, 03:23:38 AM »

Don't worry, people worry about Sakura's mental capacity too.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30]